9/11 Health Bill shot down in the Senate, Republicans to blame

Vast LWC

<-Mohammed
Aug 4, 2009
New York
Isn't it great that Republicans think there's plenty of money to go around when it comes time to lowering the estate tax for multi-billionaires, but there's just no money to help the 9/11 responders.

Way to go Republicans!

First you shamelessly harp on 9/11 to score political points, and then you abandon the heroes that suffer still for their efforts.

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

This should have been passed years ago. But the dems have been holding it up just as much as the repubs. The repubs have already said nothing gets done until tax cuts are extended. If the dems really cared about these people they would pass the tax extentions. Personlly I hope they hold out. Then when the new congress is in the repubs can push legislation through the house that won't include all the spending that Obama wants.

I read the article and the republicans didn't go against it because it was for health care for ground zero workers.

They went against it for a few reasons.

1) It did not have enough fraud protections
2) It taxed foreign companies only to pay for it (which I actually like)
3) Even with the tax it was not funded without adding to the national debt
4) The reps say they wont vote for anything until the bush tax cuts are made permanent or at least extended.

We have a responsibility to those rescue workers from 9/11 and we have a responsibility to our decendants to pay for everything we do from here on out without adding to the debt.

Thats a tough tightrope to walk. Using this issue as a political whip against republicans or democrats will surely expose people's partisan prefernaces.

• Banned
This should have been passed years ago. But the dems have been holding it up just as much as the repubs. The repubs have already said nothing gets done until tax cuts are extended. If the dems really cared about these people they would pass the tax extentions. Personlly I hope they hold out. Then when the new congress is in the repubs can push legislation through the house that won't include all the spending that Obama wants.

So, as I said, the Republicans refuse to pass this bill until they get tax cuts for the rich, correct?

• Banned

I read the article and the republicans didn't go against it because it was for health care for ground zero workers.

They went against it for a few reasons.

1) It did not have enough fraud protections
2) It taxed foreign companies only to pay for it (which I actually like)
3) Even with the tax it was not funded without adding to the national debt
4) The reps say they wont vote for anything until the bush tax cuts are made permanent or at least extended.

We have a responsibility to those rescue workers from 9/11 and we have a responsibility to our decendants to pay for everything we do from here on out without adding to the debt.

Thats a tough tightrope to walk. Using this issue as a political whip against republicans or democrats will surely expose people's partisan prefernaces.

I didn't say they went because it was for ground zero workers. I said they think they have enough money to pay for cuts in the estate tax, but not for this.

And I implied that they are holding it hostage until they get tax cuts for the wealthy, as per your point 4.

Isn't it great that Republicans think there's plenty of money to go around when it comes time to lowering the estate tax for multi-billionaires, but there's just no money to help the 9/11 responders.

Way to go Republicans!

First you shamelessly harp on 9/11 to score political points, and then you abandon the heroes that suffer still for their efforts.

Name one thing the Republicans aren't to blame for?

Define "years ago".

Way to go Republicans!

Your love of oatmeal and your obsession with Kathy Griffin.

Ok, that's two things.

Way to go Republicans!

Your love of oatmeal and your obsession with Kathy Griffin.

Ok, that's two things.

You have an obsession with me. Everyone can see that. It's verwy strange.

So, as I said, the Republicans refuse to pass this bill until they get tax cuts for the rich, correct?

No, not correct.
First, they are not tax cuts but just keeping the current rate.
Second keeping the current rates benifit the middle class far mor than the rich. Isn't supposed to be just 2% are for those making over 250k? Also libs keep lying saying this doesn't include a large amount of small business owners.

Define "years ago".

8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, (you know back when the dems had 60 seats in the senate and could have passed anything they wanted?) and at the bginning of this years.
Instead they played games and only now bring this up solely to try and make the repubs look bad.

Define "years ago".

8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, (you know back when the dems had 60 seats in the senate and could have passed anything they wanted?) and at the bginning of this years.
Instead they played games and only now bring this up solely to try and make the repubs look bad.
Why would Democrats need a filibuster proof majority in order to help 9/11 responders?

Define "years ago".

Why would Democrats need a filibuster proof majority in order to help 9/11 responders?

Keep making excuses for the games dems are playing.
But you noticed I didn't blame just the dems. Both parties have dropped the ball on this issue. I guess you forgot repubs controlled congress 8 years ago.
As for the dems, if they were really concerned about these poeple they would have taken care of this but no this is just another example of polititians being the scum they are.

Forum List

Back