9/11 Commission to release a 1998 report...

insein

Apr 10, 2004
Philadelphia, Amazing huh...
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=sto...0717/pl_nm/security_commission_dc_5&printer=1

Sept. 11 Commission to Release 1998 Report

Fri Jul 16,10:01 PM ET Add Politics to My Yahoo!

By Tabassum Zakaria

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The commission investigating the Sept. 11 attacks will release a 1998 CIA (news - web sites) document to then President Bill Clinton (news - web sites) that warned of possible hijackings of airliners and will discuss al Qaeda links to Iran in its report, government officials said on Friday.

The bipartisan commission has been investigating government failures related to the 2001 hijacked plane attacks, in which nearly 3,000 people died, and is expected to release its final report next week.

Included in the report will be a declassified version of a 1998 President's Daily Brief, a highly secret document that only a select group of government officials ever see.

It will be the second such document to be made public under commission pressure.

An Aug. 6, 2001, report to President Bush (news - web sites) titled "Bin Ladin Determined to Strike in US" was released by the White House in April under pressure from the commission.

That CIA report that Bush received a month before the attacks made reference to the 1998 document to be revealed next week as containing "sensational threat reporting" that al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden (news - web sites) wanted to hijack a U.S. aircraft to gain the release of extremists jailed in the United States.

Philip Zelikow, executive staff director at the commission, described the President's Daily Brief given to Clinton as "a threat report about a possible hijacking in order to take hostages and secure the release of prisoners."

He told Reuters it referred to a specific hijacking threat in the United States. The commission report will also "describe an energetic response to that (1998) report," Zelikow said.

He would not comment on the Iran issue.

Other government sources told Reuters the commission report would discuss al Qaeda links to Pakistan and Iran and mention that some of the Sept. 11 hijackers transited through Iran on the way to the United States.

Later on Friday, TIME Magazine reported on its Web Site that a U.S. official told the magazine the commission uncovered evidence suggesting between eight and 10 of the 14 hijackers involved in gaining control of the four aircraft used on Sept. 11 passed through Iran in the period from October 2000 to February 2001.

The senior official also told TIME the report will note that Iranian officials approached al-Qaeda leadership after the bombing of the USS Cole (news - web sites) and proposed a collaborative relationship in future attacks on the U.S. But that offer was turned down by bin Laden because he did not want to alienate his supporters in Saudi Arabia, TIME reported.

The sources told Reuters there was no evidence that Iran helped al Qaeda with the Sept. 11 attacks in which four hijacked planes crashed into the World Trade Center in New York, the Pentagon (news - web sites) near Washington and a field in Pennsylvania.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...,1,5783235.story?coll=chi-newsnationworld-hed

Excerpt:

Official: Bush team not briefed

While the CIA and other government agencies were clearly aware of the hijack threat, and the Federal Aviation Administration distributed a circular referring to it in the summer of 2001, a White House official said Saturday that the Bush national security team was not apprised by the outgoing Clinton administration about the intelligence report on a suspected hijack plot to free Rahman.

"There is no record or recollection of the new White House team having been briefed on that threat information," said an administration official, who said the 2001 memo, based on information provided by the CIA, "is the first record of the new White House having that information."

Richard Clarke, who was White House counterterrorism chief under Clinton and for a few months under Bush, testified before the commission that the Bush national security team was not sufficiently concerned about the threat information before the Sept. 11 attacks. He has cited the 2001 PDB as proof that the Bush team had reason to be concerned about hijack threats, but Condoleezza Rice, Bush's national security adviser, in her testimony, played down the importance of the hijack reference in that memo, saying it was based on "old reporting."

Later on Friday, TIME Magazine reported on its Web Site that a U.S. official told the magazine the commission uncovered evidence suggesting between eight and 10 of the 14 hijackers involved in gaining control of the four aircraft used on Sept. 11 passed through Iran in the period from October 2000 to February 2001.

The senior official also told TIME the report will note that Iranian officials approached al-Qaeda leadership after the bombing of the USS Cole (news - web sites) and proposed a collaborative relationship in future attacks on the U.S. But that offer was turned down by bin Laden because he did not want to alienate his supporters in Saudi Arabia, TIME reported.

Excuse me, but flying out of Tehran after coming across the border fresh from the Afgan terror camps after the Cole bombing and contact with Al-Qaeda was made, means a collaborative relationship, don't it? I mean the Mullahs keep tabs on the beaded ones in transit through Iran and training in Afganistan. They KNEW and CONDONED their actions.

The sources told Reuters there was no evidence that Iran helped al Qaeda with the Sept. 11 attacks in which four hijacked planes crashed into the World Trade Center in New York, the Pentagon (news - web sites) near Washington and a field in Pennsylvania.

Iran smuggled in and out Al-Qaeda for months before 9/11, even the same hijackers, and the final conclusion is there is no evidence of "help"???

ARE THESE PEOPLE FUKKING RETARDED?

Oh I get it------let a bunch a terrorists cruise freely through your country on a DON"T ASK--DON'T TELL policy.

dilloduck said:
Oh I get it------let a bunch a terrorists cruise freely through your country on a DON"T ASK--DON'T TELL policy.

Comrade and Dillo, did it ever occur to you that they could have just been taking a 'last vacation' in the lovely land of Iran? :p: :mm:

Kathianne said:
Comrade and Dillo, did it ever occur to you that they could have just been taking a 'last vacation' in the lovely land of Iran? :p: :mm:

{Overheard at the Teheran customs booth}
So Akbar, what brought you here, business or pleasure?

(Akbar leans over)" ... uh... hey man, I'm looking for the 72 virgins...?"

Ahh! Welcome brother, Alluh Akbar! Hey, you need a ride to the border? Take this number, tell them Abdul sent you, yes? My brothers there will take the best care of you... you got dollars yes?

"Alluh Akbar, yes, thank you brother!"

hey wait Brother, not so fast... one more thing, seriously.

"Anything brother."

You save me one of those virgins hey? Hey?!

"Ahaha! Yes brother! God willing one virgin I shall save just for you!!! God is Great! Hahaha!"

---Kerchunk!---

Next!

:bow3: :dev3: :tng:

Comrade said:
{Overheard at the Teheran customs booth}
So Akbar, what brought you here, business or pleasure?

(Akbar leans over)" ... uh... hey man, I'm looking for the 72 virgins...?"

Ahh! Welcome brother, Alluh Akbar! Hey, you need a ride to the border? Take this number, tell them Abdul sent you, yes? My brothers there will take the best care of you... you got dollars yes?

"Alluh Akbar, yes, thank you brother!"

hey wait Brother, not so fast... one more thing, seriously.

"Anything brother."

You save me one of those virgins hey? Hey?!

"Ahaha! Yes brother! God willing one virgin I shall save just for you!!! God is Great! Hahaha!"

---Kerchunk!---

Next!

Forum List

Back