8GB vs 4 GB RAM (For 2-in-1)

I'm thinking about getting a 2-in-1 on a Memorial Day sale. I'm not a gamer. I just care about computer and programs opening quickly and for the internet to not run slow due to not enough RAM. I found a laptop I like with an Pentium I5 processor. The preliminary tests on new computers at Best Buy showed but split second differences on load times for Excel. But this could be different for a computer that is owned some weeks or months and when various windows are opened.

I am willing to pay more if I have to, but it's about double more to jump to 8GB and I'd prefer not to if I'm not gonna really have any buyer's regret for the 4 GB, which is crazily half the price for the minimum starting prices.

Anyone have an expert opinion?
You can always get the cheaper computer and buy some additional RAM. DIMMs are cheap.
Thing is though, many new computers don't have a bunch of expansion slots like the older ones. You have to check that out before you buy.
'Netbooks' have 1 or 2 (sometimes 3) USB ports and no optical drive though they typically have a SD card slot.

I'm thinking about getting a 2-in-1 on a Memorial Day sale. I'm not a gamer. I just care about computer and programs opening quickly and for the internet to not run slow due to not enough RAM. I found a laptop I like with an Pentium I5 processor. The preliminary tests on new computers at Best Buy showed but split second differences on load times for Excel. But this could be different for a computer that is owned some weeks or months and when various windows are opened.

I am willing to pay more if I have to, but it's about double more to jump to 8GB and I'd prefer not to if I'm not gonna really have any buyer's regret for the 4 GB, which is crazily half the price for the minimum starting prices.

Anyone have an expert opinion?
You can always get the cheaper computer and buy some additional RAM. DIMMs are cheap.

What you think the 4 GB to 8 GB upgrade would cost?
Depends on the memory type. Most new laptops have DDR4 memory. You could probably get another 4GB stick for around $50. If it uses DDR3, probably around $35.

Although I suspect 4 GB Ram on SSD should do it, assuming original performance speeds don't diminish too much over time, I decided to play it safe and do 8 GB among other minimum specs I'm now looking for. But I may wait for prices to dip some, maybe after the summer.

Depends on the memory type. Most new laptops have DDR4 memory. You could probably get another 4GB stick for around $50. If it uses DDR3, probably around $35.

Seen DDR4 and DDR3 thrown around; haven't looked up what they mean.
Over the years, there have been many advances in memory architecture which have lead to several distinct types of RAM, none of which are interchangeable. If you want to upgrade RAM on any computer, check the manufacturer’s specs for memory types and replace only with approved types. The DDR (double data rate) SDRAM modules all have different pin layouts, so DDR3 modules won’t fit in a slot intended for DDR4 and vice versa.

Forum List

Back