8GB vs 4 GB RAM (For 2-in-1)

I'm thinking about getting a 2-in-1 on a Memorial Day sale. I'm not a gamer. I just care about computer and programs opening quickly and for the internet to not run slow due to not enough RAM. I found a laptop I like with an Pentium I5 processor. The preliminary tests on new computers at Best Buy showed but split second differences on load times for Excel. But this could be different for a computer that is owned some weeks or months and when various windows are opened.

I am willing to pay more if I have to, but it's about double more to jump to 8GB and I'd prefer not to if I'm not gonna really have any buyer's regret for the 4 GB, which is crazily half the price for the minimum starting prices.

Anyone have an expert opinion?

So, I do......

My computer came with 4 GB stock. There was clear evidence that lack of RAM was causing lag and slow downs.

It was really obvious.

I personally bought 8 GB of RAM, in the form of two 4 GB sticks. My computer had two open ram slots, and it was quick and easy.

So my computer now has 12 GB of RAM. Best investment EVER. From a bang, for the buck, perspective $64, dramatically changed how the computer ran. Slow downs, lag outs, sudden short freezes, all gone.

I can have a movie playing, have a graphic rendering, and notice no slow downs at all.

So... here's the deal for you. 8 GB is the minimum. If you want go to 12 GB, that's likely all you'll need.

If you have less than 8GB installed, do whatever it takes to get to 8GB or more.

Once you get over 8GB, you likely won't see any benefit to adding more RAM, unless you intend to do really super complicated stuff like Graphic editing, 3D stuff, and doing rendering, editing movies (what I do), and whatever.

Excel is not a thing. 8 GB will be enough.

That is what I suggest. Find out how much RAM your computer has now. Then upgrade to 8GB. Whatever that requires.

I hear you on that. I should say that my main focus is typically to have MS Office and a handful of websites open maybe. The streaming isn't so important for this computer.

Awesome input though; stuff to keep in mind for sure.

I'm thinking about getting a 2-in-1 on a Memorial Day sale. I'm not a gamer. I just care about computer and programs opening quickly and for the internet to not run slow due to not enough RAM. I found a laptop I like with an Pentium I5 processor. The preliminary tests on new computers at Best Buy showed but split second differences on load times for Excel. But this could be different for a computer that is owned some weeks or months and when various windows are opened.

I am willing to pay more if I have to, but it's about double more to jump to 8GB and I'd prefer not to if I'm not gonna really have any buyer's regret for the 4 GB, which is crazily half the price for the minimum starting prices.

Check out a computer with an SSD. Lots faster, no moving parts. I just bought a couple new HP's both with an SSD. Not any room on the mother board to add anything, but they're fast. Came with 12GB of RAM installed anyway, with a 7400 rpm hard drive and i7 Intel CPU.

12 GB and I7. Guessing you paid at least $1,300 each.
$550... ebay.

That's a lot better than the going rates of the retailers. I guess you just have to trust random persons is all.
ebay has buyer protection. If you get something that doesn't work from ebay, you can request a return even if the seller says no returns, even if it's used, ebay has a guarantee.

But when you buy something new on there, you can trust the seller 99% of the time. Check their feedback.

Every computer made today kicks ass.

Don't worry about it.

I am willing to pay more if I have to, but it's about..

What do you need it for? I used to be like that, buying the best computer around. And I realized I didn't need it

What do you need it for? I used to be like that, buying the best computer around. And I realized I didn't need it

Yea, back when computers were higher priced, I spent about $2500 on a laptop when I could've got by on a third of that. At the same time I bought a desktop for about $2,000 (overspent on that, but it lasted about twelve or thirteen years, so that one wasn't so bad at all).

I don't need fancy in a nutshell. But I don't want long load times for general net use and simple program use either.

I wouldn't buy anything new without 8gb of memory but thats just my opinion. Shame memory price has doubled the last few years.
trend.ram.288dimm.ddr4_2133.4x4096.81756a1e80ca6e670655fb33f8b5c244.png

Yea, back when computers were higher priced, I spent about $2500 on a laptop when I could've got by on a third of that. At the same time I bought a desktop for about $2,000 (overspent on that, but it lasted about twelve or thirteen years, so that one wasn't so bad at all).

I don't need fancy in a nutshell. But I don't want long load times for general net use and simple program use either.

You should of been around when my first apple was 5 grand ..i always tried to get the best and fastest.

Now I figure it's a waste of money a cheap $100 dollar phone works for me and what I need

And now that I figured out I can get Wi-Fi almost everywhere..

Get 8gb and an SSD and be done with it.

But two months from now when it becomes obsolete ..

He could of gone to Tahiti with part of the money..

True... that would be fast and enough for any home computer.

No way is it going to be obsolete in two months, or even two years.

lol it sucks how tech prices change and how quickly your shiny new rig becomes "obsolete"

My thinking is how much could I regret $550 if I find it lags some? Then again on the other shoe, $400-$600 more to avoid that potential issue. I would honestly spend more to not have the issue. I am just seeing if there's a chance I won't.

For just "office" or playing vids and browsing type use 8gb should be good for awhile. You called it earlier with the SSD they really are worth it to speed up operating system and programs. They are good for speeding up an older system too but not a magic bullet as memory or even processor if its old enough can hold you back.

For just "office" or playing vids and browsing type use 8gb should be good for awhile. You called it earlier with the SSD they really are worth it to speed up operating system and programs. They are good for speeding up an older system too but not a magic bullet as memory or even processor if its old enough can hold you back.
The only way you're going to get an SSD is if you buy a new computer with one installed on the mother board, and as far as watching videos, that depends greatly on your internet connection download speed. Cable is best. Even a slow computer can play video without digital lock up if it has a fast internet connection. Gaming is different, that requires RAM.

My thinking is how much could I regret $550 if I find it lags some? Then again on the other shoe, $400-$600 more to avoid that potential issue. I would honestly spend more to not have the issue. I am just seeing if there's a chance I won't.
As long as you aren't doing demanding stuff like rendering or autocad or something a modern processor with 8gb memory and an SSD is going to be plenty fast for years.

The only way you're going to get an SSD is if you buy a new computer with one installed on the mother board, and as far as watching videos, that depends greatly on your internet connection download speed. Cable is best. Even a slow computer can play video without digital lock up if it has a fast internet connection. Gaming is different, that requires RAM.
As long as you have an available sata connection you can install a SSD. Laptop I would buy with it installed though taking those apart isn't easy.

Forum List

Back