88 people killed in 16 mass shootings in USA..

Do I need an assault weapon for home defense? I own a shot gun for home defense. I chose a shot gun because I believe the collateral damage done by spraying multiple bullets during the adrenaline fueled event of a home invasion is too risky.

I prefer the AR15 over the shotgun for a host of reasons.

Spraying multiple bullets is not the plan.
Is the general public really trained and ready to respond with accurate marksmanship should the remote chance of a home invasion happen to them? Would you feel comfortable discharging an automatic weapon in a public place? Are you willing to have some other citizen discharge a weapon in a public place given the adrenaline charged circumstance of a perceived threat? And should that poor marksman be equipped with twenty or thirty shots to spray around?

Do police officers regularly discharge their weapons during their patrols? Is the off chance of some perceived threat worth the risk of an assault weapon falling into the hands of someone willing to use it irresponsibly? What checks can be placed to help prevent that? Perhaps the mere presence of such weaponry gives the irresponsible too much opportunity. We saw that in the case of the Newtown shootings, didn't we?

Wouldn't a shot gun prove to be effective? If it's a matter of throwing more bullets around, should private citizens, who are admittedly poor marksmen, have the ability to shoot poorly with more bullets?

No. Most LE agencies have replaced the shotgun with the 5.56 carbine (predominantely AR15 platform). Less recoil, better sights and way more accurate.

5.56 has pretty effective single shot stopping power.
But again, the weapon is better suited for use by law enforcement or in a military setting, not on the streets.

I have no problem with a semi-automatic 5.56 weapon with a 10-round magazine. Good for hogs, perps, and ultra right and libertarian terrorists.

Don't welcome it. An AR15 best equips me to survive it.
Have we learned anything about the consequences of these weapons? Have we learned anything about the consequences of arms races? Should we endure an arms race on the streets of America?

Have we learned anything about the consequences of knives ?

They kill more than rifles of all types every year per the FBI.

When does the focus turn to consequences of murderers ?
Knives are one of the strawmen so often offered up to distract from the problem of assault weapons. We know the virtues of the knife, but we cannot cite the virtues of the assault weapon. Murders will always happen. They have happened since the time of Cain and Abel. But the tools of mass shootings are unique to mass shootings, aren't they?

We know the virtues of the knife, but we cannot cite the virtues of the assault weapon. Murders will always happen. They have happened since the time of Cain and Abel. But the tools of mass shootings are unique to mass shootings, aren't they?

The virtue of the "assault weapon" is it best equips those lawful individuals who chose it, to survive violence / murders which will always happen.

We know the virtues of the knife, but we cannot cite the virtues of the assault weapon. Murders will always happen. They have happened since the time of Cain and Abel. But the tools of mass shootings are unique to mass shootings, aren't they?

The virtue of the "assault weapon" is it best equips those lawful individuals who chose it, to survive violence / murders which will always happen.
Unacceptable. The off chance of attack does not outweigh the carnage wrought by assault weapons. Particularly when you consider there are other guns perfectly suited for home defense while the assault weapon puts the "mass" in "mass shooting".

Would you feel comfortable discharging an automatic weapon in a public place?

An AR15 is not an automatic weapon.

Why lie ?

It is what the law abiding fear in you.
nit picking over a typo. Semi-automatic weapons with high capacity magazines.

Right. Typo.

I would feel more comfortable lawfully discharging an AR15 than a handgun or shotgun in a public place to stop a forcible felony as I (most) can score hits more readily with it.

The off chance of attack does not outweigh the carnage wrought by assault weapons. Particularly when you consider there are other guns perfectly suited for home defense while the assault weapon puts the "mass" in "mass shooting".

More people died from shotguns last year than rifles of any type per the FBI.

You should turn yours in. Carnage and all.

Ooda, your comments by themselves mean nothing. Give us the source for your belief about shotguns.

But if it is true, then shotguns would be preferable to AR-15s.

Forum List

Back