88 people killed in 16 mass shootings in USA..

I own a shotgun for home defense. Thankfully I have never had to use it. But my plan in the event of an intruder is to call out that I have a shot gun, a telephone and I know how to use both. The sound of racking a round into the chamber should act as quite the deterrent. Moving about my house with a shotgun in hand is not a clumsy act. And I hold sufficient fire power to stop any intruder.

I suggest some training.

Oh wait the people best suited to train you, you want to disarm.

What is the virtue of a semi-automatic weapon fitted with a high capacity magazine? What indispensible good does it provide society?

One of its uses is to hunt hogs which provides food for local communities.
Were there no hogs felled before the advent of the semi-automatic weapon fitted with a high capacity magazine? And does that virtue outweigh the carnage wrought by such weapons? Is hog hunting the indispensable good that means we must suffer the agony of class rooms turned into battle zones?

Sure, but who are you to question the noble antics of law abiding citizens that are providing charity for unfortunate people?

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) 32,885 people died in traffic crashes in 2010 in the United States (latest figures available),
including an estimated 10,228 people who died in drunk driving crashes, accounting for 31% of all traffic deaths last year.

Since NHTSA began recording alcohol-related statistics in 1982, drunk driving fatalities have decreased 52% from 21,113 in 1982.
Since the inception of The Century Council and our national efforts to fight drunk driving, drunk driving fatalities have declined 35% from 15,827 in 1991. (Source: NHTSA/FARS, 2011)

Sixteen US Mass Shootings Happened in 2012, Leaving at Least 88 Dead | The Nation

A drunk driver in 2010 killed 115 people for every one person killed in a mass killing in 2012.

Where is the media on Banning alcohol which causes drunken behavior which causes driving accidents which causes killings?

Shouldn't every drunk driver that kills someone be executed???

Instead of addressing drunk driving, democrats want to increase the carnage by legalizing marijuana. If there are 30,000 drunk drivers on the road, those roads will be made safer by adding 30,000 drivers high on pot.
What a dumbass statement. It is illegal to drive drunk - does that stop them? It is illegal to smoke pot - does that stop them? People are driving now after smoking pot! Each drug has a different effect on the body - you don't get drunk by smoking pot. It doesn't make you slurr your speech, and piss in your pants etc.
Real conservatives believe that you are the stewart of your body - that it is no ones business what you put into it.

Wouldn't a shot gun prove to be effective? If it's a matter of throwing more bullets around, should private citizens, who are admittedly poor marksmen, have the ability to shoot poorly with more bullets?

No. Most LE agencies have replaced the shotgun with the 5.56 carbine (predominantely AR15 platform). Less recoil, better sights and way more accurate.

5.56 has pretty effective single shot stopping power.
But again, the weapon is better suited for use by law enforcement or in a military setting, not on the streets.
It's pretty well suited to taking out trash that happens to enter your home without invitation too.
The homeowner is his own first line of defense.
Sure! If someone breaks into your home, you should call the police, but if you expect them to do more than take pictures, dust for prints and haul you out in a body bag, you're sadly mistaken.
YOU are on your own for at least 10 minutes on the average and I would think you would want to have every advantage available to tip the scales in your favor.

One of its uses is to hunt hogs which provides food for local communities.
Were there no hogs felled before the advent of the semi-automatic weapon fitted with a high capacity magazine? And does that virtue outweigh the carnage wrought by such weapons? Is hog hunting the indispensable good that means we must suffer the agony of class rooms turned into battle zones?

Sure, but who are you to question the noble antics of law abiding citizens that are providing charity for unfortunate people?
If the only way to drop a wild hog was by using a semi-automatic weapon fitted with a high capacity magazine, you might have a point. But put those hog hunters and their quarry on one side of the scale and then put all the human victims of assault weapons on the other side. Who do you believe has the high ground in this argument?

Does that justify an arms race on the streets of America?

IF by "arms race" you mean people lawfully arming themselves, certainly.
An arms race implies at least a two sided affair, would you not agree? Lawful citizens on one side, criminals, the insane and those who are about to act insanely because they have a weapon at their disposal on the other. Do you welcome such an arms race? And consider this: everyone is trying to outgun everyone else. Where does it end?

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) 32,885 people died in traffic crashes in 2010 in the United States (latest figures available),
including an estimated 10,228 people who died in drunk driving crashes, accounting for 31% of all traffic deaths last year.

Since NHTSA began recording alcohol-related statistics in 1982, drunk driving fatalities have decreased 52% from 21,113 in 1982.
Since the inception of The Century Council and our national efforts to fight drunk driving, drunk driving fatalities have declined 35% from 15,827 in 1991. (Source: NHTSA/FARS, 2011)

Sixteen US Mass Shootings Happened in 2012, Leaving at Least 88 Dead | The Nation

A drunk driver in 2010 killed 115 people for every one person killed in a mass killing in 2012.

Where is the media on Banning alcohol which causes drunken behavior which causes driving accidents which causes killings?

Shouldn't every drunk driver that kills someone be executed???

642 people were killed in one day in one day in 1944, are you pointing out how much better we are doing now?

E

If the only way to drop a wild hog was by using a semi-automatic weapon fitted with a high capacity magazine, you might have a point. But put those hog hunters and their quarry on one side of the scale and then put all the human victims of assault weapons on the other side. Who do you believe has the high ground in this argument?

Paradoxically, the person is the perpetrator of good and evil in both circumstances. The high ground is the law abiding citizen doing good for his fellow man. You're looking at the wrong way, NK.

E

Paradoxically, the person is the perpetrator of good and evil in both circumstances. The high ground is the law abiding citizen doing good for his fellow man. You're looking at the wrong way, NK.
I asked what is the virtue of a semi-automatic weapon fitted with a high capacity magazine and you said hog hunting. I submit that hog hunting as a virtue does not outweigh the destruction wrought by such weapons. If you can sell hog hunting to the families of the victims of these weapons, you should be President of the United States or the CEO of Amazon.com. If the one indispensable good brought by such weapons is hog hunting, how does that stack up against 20 first graders killed 10 days before Christmas?

It's the tool. The gun that makes the difference. And if we must suffer the deadly consequence of such weapons just so a few folks can hunt hogs (an activity that does not exclusively rely on such weapons), then truly the world has gone crazy and lost all focus.

No. Most LE agencies have replaced the shotgun with the 5.56 carbine (predominantely AR15 platform). Less recoil, better sights and way more accurate.

5.56 has pretty effective single shot stopping power.
But again, the weapon is better suited for use by law enforcement or in a military setting, not on the streets.
It's pretty well suited to taking out trash that happens to enter your home without invitation too.
The homeowner is his own first line of defense.
Sure! If someone breaks into your home, you should call the police, but if you expect them to do more than take pictures, dust for prints and haul you out in a body bag, you're sadly mistaken.
YOU are on your own for at least 10 minutes on the average and I would think you would want to have every advantage available to tip the scales in your favor.
Do I need an assault weapon for home defense? I own a shot gun for home defense. I chose a shot gun because I believe the collateral damage done by spraying multiple bullets during the adrenaline fueled event of a home invasion is too risky.

I own a shotgun for home defense. Thankfully I have never had to use it. But my plan in the event of an intruder is to call out that I have a shot gun, a telephone and I know how to use both. The sound of racking a round into the chamber should act as quite the deterrent. Moving about my house with a shotgun in hand is not a clumsy act. And I hold sufficient fire power to stop any intruder.

I suggest some training.

Oh wait the people best suited to train you, you want to disarm.
Is hyperbole the only arrow in your quiver?

Does that justify an arms race on the streets of America?

An arms race implies at least a two sided affair, would you not agree? Lawful citizens on one side, criminals, the insane and those who are about to act insanely because they have a weapon at their disposal on the other. Do you welcome such an arms race? And consider this: everyone is trying to outgun everyone else. Where does it end?

Don't welcome it. An AR15 best equips me to survive it.

Do I need an assault weapon for home defense? I own a shot gun for home defense. I chose a shot gun because I believe the collateral damage done by spraying multiple bullets during the adrenaline fueled event of a home invasion is too risky.

I prefer the AR15 over the shotgun for a host of reasons.

Spraying multiple bullets is not the plan.

Have we learned anything about the consequences of these weapons? Have we learned anything about the consequences of arms races? Should we endure an arms race on the streets of America?

Have we learned anything about the consequences of these weapons? Have we learned anything about the consequences of arms races? Should we endure an arms race on the streets of America?

Have we learned anything about the consequences of knives ?

They kill more than rifles of all types every year per the FBI.

When does the focus turn to consequences of murderers ?

Forum List

Back