86%c Grocery Inflation >8% idiots

Well besides those ^^^ if I didn't get a 10% discount on store brands, my grocery bill would be 20% higher...these are just on basic items.

Well.. aside from what ooh-poo was saying, a loaf of bread, eggs, milk, cheese, fruit, even hamburger has gone up over his posts figures...

btw.. I do like hot dogs..

Exactly! I buy cheese in a two lb block. In December it was $5.99, today it is $7.49.

Perhaps you should consider buying a different 2 lb block of cheese or shopping at a grocery store with lower prices instead of whining and blaming Obama.

Heck if I knew all my customers would do if I raised the prices was bitch and blame the President, I'd SOAK em.

Hamburg cracks me up when it's more expensive per lb than steak!
Makes me want to get my ma's meat grinder from her.

Is that Obama's fault, too? Its Obama's fault that Americans culture demands more hamburger meat than steak, to the point their prices approach one another.

I just want to not for the record,that in a thread where right wingers have claimed grocery price inflation to be a big problem, on the 2nd page, so far, we have only TWO actual quotes of prices

One for HOT DOGS. and one for a 2 lb block of mystery cheese.

BTW - you guys know the biggest reason food prices change?

Changes in the amount of FOOD available to sell.

http://news.yahoo.com/smaller-corn-harvest-could-keep-food-prices-high-141127288.html

SUPPLY and DEMAND

Last edited:
Supply and demand, my ass.
Farmers are getting $8 for corn and $12 for soybeans.
Yet- the ag industry exports millions of metric tons each year.

30% of the corn crop is diverted to ethanol production, and 20% of ethanol is EXPORTED.

It's funny that there is never any mention of Big Ag, or "windfall profits" of the Ag industry.
And little to no mention of subsidies- yes true subsidies- not the "subsidies" everyone cries about regarding the oil industry.

Well.. aside from what ooh-poo was saying, a loaf of bread, eggs, milk, cheese, fruit, even hamburger has gone up over his posts figures...

btw.. I do like hot dogs..

Exactly! I buy cheese in a two lb block. In December it was $5.99, today it is $7.49.

Perhaps you should consider buying a different 2 lb block of cheese or shopping at a grocery store with lower prices instead of whining and blaming Obama.

Heck if I knew all my customers would do if I raised the prices was bitch and blame the President, I'd SOAK em.

Is that Obama's fault, too? Its Obama's fault that Americans culture demands more hamburger meat than steak, to the point their prices approach one another.

Shouldn't make yourself to look a fool.

Did I blame Obama? No.

For someone with a Phd your reading comprehension doesn't stack up.

<snip>

And what's even worse, although the actual food price inflation has been very low, and is expected to not be extremely high this year, it FEELS like its been HIGHER. So many people have been talking about the food price hikes, that 0.8% increase in 09 and 10 really does feel like it was much bigger, and the 3% increase expected this year, well, so many people are talking about Obama and the economy and the grocery price explosion, it kinda feels like its going to be 86%. In fact lots of people - some with nice websites - have feltlike food prices have been exploding quite a bit recently, and that's far more important than the actual food prices.

Can I get you to feel my wallet when I walk out of the store?
It is much lighter than it used to be.

You actually weigh your wallet when you leave the store? If you've been spending a lot more on food lately, perhaps you should consider weighing yourself?

Or do you have any data at all to support your claims of high inflation? Like, PRICE, data for instance, would be helpful. I hear the U.S. bureau of labor statistics keeps track with something called a "cpi" - but -by all means- if you have better data, I'm all ears.

Lack of reading comprehension wins again!

When personal data overrides gov't data, I'm all ears too.
The data I have comes in the form of grocery receipts.

Did I mention I feed a family of five, four of which are high end athletes.

If I mentioned the name of the store I shop at, you would feel very embarrassed by your condescending ASSumption.

I just want to not for the record,that in a thread where right wingers have claimed grocery price inflation to be a big problem, on the 2nd page, so far, we have only TWO actual quotes of prices

One for HOT DOGS. and one for a 2 lb block of mystery cheese.

BTW - you guys know the biggest reason food prices change?

Changes in the amount of FOOD available to sell.

Smaller corn harvest could keep food prices high - Yahoo! News

SUPPLY and DEMAND

What does the price of groceries have to do with anyone's politics? NOTHING!

Carrs

Safeway

Easily you can see how prices vary.

Want to save money on groceries?...learn to cook without using prepared items.
It taste better, has faaaar less sodium and sugar content and is just all around better for you.
Basic ingredients are still reasonably cheap. It is the prepared foods that are killing the budget.
Grow your own herbs during the summer - I do it because it taste better and they require little to no maintenance and are very easy to dry and use in the winter.
Buy meat in bulk at a butcher and freeze it - I'm talking $2-$3 less a pound at least. ANNND - you know you are eating meat that contains no hormones, no hydrogen infused saline solutions, no antibiotics.

Want to save money on groceries?...learn to cook without using prepared items.
It taste better, has faaaar less sodium and sugar content and is just all around better for you.
Basic ingredients are still reasonably cheap. It is the prepared foods that are killing the budget.
Grow your own herbs during the summer - I do it because it taste better and they require little to no maintenance and are very easy to dry and use in the winter.
Buy meat in bulk at a butcher and freeze it - I'm talking $2-$3 less a pound at least. ANNND - you know you are eating meat that contains no hormones, no hydrogen infused saline solutions, no antibiotics.

Agree. I do all of the above and and have a garden in the summer.

We have friends that raise cattle without the hormone and such. They butcher, package and we freeze the meat.. They charge $ 2.50 a pound for all cuts and ground beef.

It saves a lot and has a bit of a wild taste.. it's great.

Can I get you to feel my wallet when I walk out of the store?
It is much lighter than it used to be.

You actually weigh your wallet when you leave the store? If you've been spending a lot more on food lately, perhaps you should consider weighing yourself?

Or do you have any data at all to support your claims of high inflation? Like, PRICE, data for instance, would be helpful. I hear the U.S. bureau of labor statistics keeps track with something called a "cpi" - but -by all means- if you have better data, I'm all ears.

Lack of reading comprehension wins again!

When personal data overrides gov't data, I'm all ears too.
The data I have comes in the form of grocery receipts.

Great. Let's see them.

Did I mention I feed a family of five, four of which are high end athletes.
And that means prices are higher than they are?

Did I blame Obama? No.

Everything bad is Obama's fault, or didn't you get the memo? His mean regulations have made fuel more expensive which drives up food prices.

Did I blame Obama? No.

Everything bad is Obama's fault, or didn't you get the memo? His mean regulations have made fuel more expensive which drives up food prices.

You do bring up a good point....gas prices were $1.89 pr gallon the week Obama took office...It's not like he's been successful on making America energy independent, most would say the exact opposite..

Last edited:
Agreed.

The cost of food is climbing steadily.

I'd say my grocery bills are up 10% or so in the last few years.

It's ok though, there's nothing to panic about. Take out food and energy and everything is fine.

Just spreading the Good news...:disbelief:

We live in a resort community and we don't shop in town. They really soak the tourists around here ($6.56 for a pack of beef hot dogs) but even though we go to the nearest big town, it's pretty obvious grocery prices have gone to epic proportions with no real end in sight.

Well... guess who I'm blaming..?...:lol:

The Democrat Party lead by surf n turf himself Obama-nomics

--------------------:eek:

Despite the Federal Reserve's insistence that inflation is under control, Americans continue to say overwhelmingly that they are paying more for groceries than they were a year ago and they expect to be paying even more a year from now.

A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that 86% of adults think they are paying more for groceries now. That's down two points from last month and consistent with findings since January 2011. Only eight percent (8%) don't believe they are paying more now.

73% Expect to Be Paying More for Groceries A Year From Now - Rasmussen Reports™

As well they should.

The price of food has been steadily climbing since the great banksters' meltdown.

Based on my own experience, I'd say the cost of food is up about 10% overall in the last three years.
Kinda co-coincides with the cranking up of the printing presses. Purchases are an exchange, as money loses value, it takes more of it to buy stuff.

Here's what I've noticed . . . I usually keep an eye on the price of milk, eggs, butter, eggs. Milk has gone up then down over the past few years, the other things are pretty much the same (up a bit but not much). The past few months I've been keeping a close eye on prices of other items and prices are nothing but up. They raise them up then put them 'on sale' (at a higher price than what they were before the jump) so the unaware think they're getting a deal.

Shop the sales, take advantage of BOGOs, and for heaven's sake use coupons in combination with these things and buy in bulk when you hit upon a good deal (don't clear the shelves, though).

Having said all that . . . when gas goes up the cost of everything else goes up, quickly. When gas goes down the costly of everything else goes down, slowly.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back