85 languages spoken in Buffalo schools as 'New Americans' enter classrooms

If the second language is taught k-12, there will be no need to learn it in college. Many countries require children to learn another language soon as they step foot in school. Children before 8 can learn up to 5 languages.

Fine - let other countries do it. Americans don't need it since we have no need to go to foreign countries and even if we do, english is spoken everywhere in the world. Forcing americans to learn french is as stupid as teaching them latin, which was standard 40 years ago.

Anyone planning on going to another country should at least have a working knowledge of the language of that country.

Why do you want to go to another country? What's wrong with america?
I don't want to go anywhere. I don't even have a passport .

If someone was planning a trip to another country, it would be respectful to learn a bit of their language. Very unlike the illegals who come here and demand that we learn theirs.

Why do we let any of these savages come to america?. They destroy our schools, and hospitals, and welfare system. All one billion africans would love to come here and go on welfare and live off the white man.

85 languages spoken in Buffalo schools as 'New Americans' enter classrooms - The Buffalo News

nov 27 2016 The two young Somali sisters sat at a table in the central registration center signing up for what would become their next big challenge in their journey to America – school.

They came to enroll in the Buffalo Public Schools at an old building on Ash Street, an Ellis Island of sorts for thousands of immigrants and refugees entering an education system that has struggled over the years to keep up with their growing numbers.

Many show up speaking no English. Others may have had little formal education in their home countries. Most encounter vast cultural differences.

The City of Buffalo has taken in thousands of immigrants and refugees in recent years, and it’s reflected in many of its schools. More than 85 different languages are spoken throughout the district, but that number can change by the day.
That's what the Indians said when the white devil came here...
The Very First Americans May Have Had European Roots | Smart News | Smithsonian

As a Conservative I have no problem whatsoever with legal immigration. Go through the correct process and the overwhelming majority of citizens like myself will welcome you with open arms..

I'm not saying that everyone who isn't bilingual is a racist. But there is a large segment in this country who is resistant to anything they deem as "unAmerican" which includes folks who don't like want their kids learning Spanish in school because it isn't "American ".

In other countries, they call that patriotism. But in america you libs call it racism.

No. Educating yourself and learning another language doesn't make you any less American.
But when immigrants refuse to learn English that makes them somehow more American.

Who said anything about immigrants refusing to speak English? Immigrants should learn English especially if they plan on becoming a citizen. But Americans picking up a second language should be encouraged as well.
Anyone planning on going to another country should at least have a working knowledge of the language of that country.
Including anyone coming to the United States

. But Americans picking up a second language should be encouraged as well.

BS. It's a waste of time for 99% of americans. We should encourage people to study math and physics college textbooks.

If the second language is taught k-12, there will be no need to learn it in college. Many countries require children to learn another language soon as they step foot in school. Children before 8 can learn up to 5 languages.
I don't think there's much of a point for children learning more than one or maybe maximum 2 other languages before 8. They'll just mix them up and start having troubles with them, but I do think just learning one more will make them more able to learn other languages later.

Time wasted learning a foreign language could have been spent learning math and physics.

Forum List

Back