80% happy with their healthcare?

80% HAPPY WITH THEIR HEALTHCARE?

How can people be happy with the high premiums, co-payments, deductibles, have to chose from a network of doctors and hospitals, no choice of healthcare plan but what their employers select for them, do not cover exiting illness, will drop you if you get a major illness and cost them too much, will not cover your child in college or you disabled child and will deny services? If you are happy with this, KEEP IT but there are those who are not happy and those who cannot afford the high cost of private healthcare even though they are working every day.
Healthcare for those who do not have is going to cost and no matter what the cost or who has to pay it, WE OWE IT TO OUR FELLOW AMERICANS. We, at the least, do it for those who are not in this country legally and putting their American born children in our healthcare system and we have to pay even though we cannot afford it for our own children. To care for our poor is going to cost money and lots of money and if we cut spending, we cut services to those who need it the most and we all know what happens when we do not take care of our own.

The 80% number came from a poll about how many Canadians like their healthcare system.. Ever since then rightwing media has been desperate to paint a simular picture..

Those same studies, however, show that a surprisingly large 70 percent of the estimated 46 million Americans who don't have insurance say they do, in fact, receive health care, and that a vast majority of them are satisfied with it.

The above statement came from Faux Noise.. Here they actually claim that 70% of the people that don't have insurance are happy about not having insurance.. That is simply absurd.. Granted, anyone can recieve emergency care.. But that is not healthcare and shouldn't be confused with healthcare.. None of those 46 million people that seem to be so happy will be able to have a Breast exam, or a colonoscopy to screen for cancer.. And that is the problem.. It would be a lot cheaper to give those people the screens to find cancer than it would be to treat full blown cancer..

What would you rather treat?? Allow 46 million people to be tested and find the cancer early and treatable, or wait until they all have flull blown cancer and has spread to other organs?? Which would you think is cheaper??

Healthcare is preventative care... Healthcare keeps you healthy and not just treat you when you are sick.. Let's see Faux Noise put out a real poll and explains that to participants.. See what the results are then..

I would wager that in a real poll, of a mixed group of insured and uninsured.. We might find that only 30% to 20% actually like their healthcare plan.. Most of which would be made up of people on golden healthplans or cadilac plans..

We already help the "needy" in this country to a tune of over 1 trillion dollars. Have any of those "needy" ever said "thank you" to those of us who pay their bills while they sit on their fat asses and watch Oprah. The more I participate in these discussion about "helping our fellow Americans" the less I'm inclined to do so. Too many people ripping off the system, esp.the govt. I would guess that only 25 cents on a tax dollar allocated for the poor even gets to the poor.. Fix that first.And how about a fricking thank you to those that contribute.

Chanel,

Do you give to charity expecting a thanks?

Do you give to charity expecting an "attagirl"? For public recognition?

If you do, then maybe you are doing it for the wrong reason.

I'm not saying you do and I usually agree with things that you say, but in this case, I feel like you are stating that you expect the poor to say thank you for letting the government feed them. That doesn't make much sense to me.

Immie

Immie - I'm just in a bad mood today. I have a feeling Corzine will be re-elected. I just learned of a new scam being perpetuated on the people in NJ, and I'm tired of it. Wrong thread to discuss but believe me, it's a biggie.

But yes we do get thank you's from charities and we give a lot. And right now I am still unwilling to pay one dime more to the govt. 50% is more than enough. It just seems to me that people who are so willing to take from the govt. have no idea where that money comes from. It's me and you and half the country who contributes. The govt. produces nada.

It's not free healthcare. People will pay premiums, according to their ability.
Free healthcare is the con talking point though.

So.. if 40% of the people can't afford to pay (and why not, 40% don't pay income taxes)... what will my premiums be?

There ya go sparky.. A LOT while some pay nothing. Don't be such a fucking idiot.

Are you trying to say 40% don't have healthcare? :doubt:

Immie - I'm just in a bad mood today. I have a feeling Corzine will be re-elected. I just learned of a new scam being perpetuated on the people in NJ, and I'm tired of it. Wrong thread to discuss but believe me, it's a biggie.

But yes we do get thank you's from charities and we give a lot. And right now I am still unwilling to pay one dime more to the govt. 50% is more than enough. It just seems to me that people who are so willing to take from the govt. have no idea where that money comes from. It's me and you and half the country who contributes. The govt. produces nada.

I disagree! The government produces a hell of a lot of... acid indigestion! :lol:

Yes, you do get thank you's from charities, but do you expect them? Do you only give for the recognition or the tax write off? Charities will thank you and they should, but the ultimate receiver of those charities i.e. the homeless when you give to a food kitchen really don't know who gives what.

Unfortunately, some expect the government to provide for them through taxes, but they give those who are really in need a bad name.

I honestly do not mind my tax dollars going to help those that are generally in need. Where I object is spending my tax dollars on those who abuse the system or on pork. Unfortunately, IMHO, there is too much waste in the public system not to mention corruption. Too much of our tax dollars go to lining pockets rather than into the mouths of those who are hungry.

I would rather see "us" giving through churches and other organizations that help the poor but I'm not so sure that enough of us see things that way to do any good and to top that off, I am afraid that if we eliminated the government from the charity business too many of those who really do need would get nothing.

If I were you, I would not be concerned about Governor Corzine being re-elected today. It really doesn't matter which politician holds office, they are all out to screw ya.

Immie

Anyone know if the new plan requires drug tests to get the free health care? If not then count me out... You liberals can pay for your drug buddy's health insurance but I'm not going to do it.....I guess that's why the government is trying to force us to pay for it.... Great Government we have!

So how are people on welfare going to pay their health care bills??????

So.. if 40% of the people can't afford to pay (and why not, 40% don't pay income taxes)... what will my premiums be?

There ya go sparky.. A LOT while some pay nothing. Don't be such a fucking idiot.

Funny how political junky hasn't responded yet... He has no idea what this health care bill is about yet he would be the first one to vote for it... Just like our Democratic liberals in congress... People like him don't think before they type...

How can people be happy with the high premiums, co-payments, deductibles, have to chose from a network of doctors and hospitals, no choice of healthcare plan but what their employers select for them, do not cover exiting illness, will drop you if you get a major illness and cost them too much, will not cover your child in college or you disabled child and will deny services? If you are happy with this, KEEP IT but there are those who are not happy and those who cannot afford the high cost of private healthcare even though they are working every day.
Healthcare for those who do not have is going to cost and no matter what the cost or who has to pay it, WE OWE IT TO OUR FELLOW AMERICANS. We, at the least, do it for those who are not in this country legally and putting their American born children in our healthcare system and we have to pay even though we cannot afford it for our own children. To care for our poor is going to cost money and lots of money and if we cut spending, we cut services to those who need it the most and we all know what happens when we do not take care of our own.

They must mean 80% of the people that have secure jobs that have no pre-existing conditions that have not already been dropped from thier plans. Or about 20% of the population...

They must mean 80% of the people that have secure jobs that have no pre-existing conditions that have not already been dropped from thier plans. Or about 20% of the population...

So you think our government should spend over $1 trillion to help the 20 million or so, that don't have insurance????? No wonder our government is so f'd up....

So you think our government should spend over $1 trillion to help the 20 million or so, that don't have insurance????? No wonder our government is so f'd up....

Make that 47 million and rising. Uh...ya. Except the part where the govt pays. The bills being presented now have everyone paying a premium. Even if the govt kicks in something it seems to me that investing in the health of americans is a good investment. I guess it just comes down to whether you hate americans or you don't. You have every right to declair yourself a selfish fuck. I have every right to agree with you.

Oh ya...you made the list! Congratulations!

Last edited:
Anyone know if the new plan requires drug tests to get the free health care? If not then count me out... You liberals can pay for your drug buddy's health insurance but I'm not going to do it.....I guess that's why the government is trying to force us to pay for it.... Great Government we have!

you already pay for them....emergency rooms...methadone clinincs....etc....

Yes, because the government makes us. And what makes you think we're happy about THAT, either?

I would be happy to pay more in taxes to make sure that the poor get health insurance just don't let the government be the carrier. Add them to Medicare or Medicaid if you want, but don't let the government control everyone's healthcare. Don't let the government drive the private insurers out of business and become the ONLY provider. They have already shown what shitty jobs they do on other social programs. We can't afford to have them screw this up.

Immie

Medicare and Medicade are govenrment programs. They are controlled by the government

I would be happy to pay more in taxes to make sure that the poor get health insurance just don't let the government be the carrier. Add them to Medicare or Medicaid if you want, but don't let the government control everyone's healthcare. Don't let the government drive the private insurers out of business and become the ONLY provider. They have already shown what shitty jobs they do on other social programs. We can't afford to have them screw this up.

Immie

Medicare and Medicade are govenrment programs. They are controlled by the government

No kidding, see further posts, they are not government monopolies of health insurance. They are technically Welfare Programs.

I am not opposed to helping the poor. I am opposed to the idea of Washington DC politicians controling my life decisions.

Welcome to USMB.

Immie

The majority of people who say they are happy with their plans are people who don't really have to use their plans other than an occaisional office visit. At the rate that insurance has been going up though, in a few years, the people who believe that they are happy with their plans, soon will not be so happy. Employers have been absorbing the cost increases for some time now, but that wil stop and premiums will rise and coverage will shrink.

I don't support any of the public option bills currently in the works because they are still just a boon for "healthcare" companies, thinly disguised as being helpful for us. Plus, I find it funny that anyone would even worry about government run healthcare coming to fruition. Thereare 6 healthcare lobbyists for every member of congress in DC. Each of these lobbyists reminding congressmen/women who funds their re-election campaigns. Nothing of any real substance will ever get passed until campaign funding is reformed. That should have been the first reform worked on long before healthcare. Until our politicians are first responsible to the will of the people before the will of corparate America, nothing will ever happen that favors us.

Forum List

Back