$80,000 Annual, Afghanistan, 7 and 12, is it worth it?

Psychoblues

Nov 30, 2003
North Missisippi
I just talked with my oldest son. He owns a small electrical business close to Raleigh, North Carolina. He is somehow attracted to an offer by KBR (Kellogg Brown and Root) to a job in Afghanistan as a journeyman electrician that they say has the potential for an annual income of $80,000 and warns him that their workweek consists of 12 hour days for 7 days a week.

I told him that I would work for that wage approximately 30 years ago. I don't think it would be approriate in 2005. He was turned down from enlisting in the North Caroliona Air and Army National Guard because of health considerations. He believes his calling is for this gig as a journeyman electrician in Afghanistan as his contribution for the American War On Terror. I told him that KBR (because I've worked with them for many years) is not to be trusted on wage and benefit issues or in any guarantees of any kind unless they are in ironclad contract. He reluctantly agrees with me.

He desparately wants to assist in any way possible in the War on Terror that we now face. He is most definitely an American Patriot. He is most definitely a hard worker and an electrical business owner. He is also most definitely my son and I will protect him as much as humanly possible.

I would tell him NO, absolutely NO. KBR is not to be trusted and they are very much on the political tit. I would tell him NO, absolutely No because many common Americans much less Patriotic than himself can eek out a living of comparable income by just doing an honest job and paying attention to the details. Heck, I'm retired and working a very insignificant gig and I can scrap up about $60,000 annually. But, I'm a planner and awfully lucky as well. I'm also a veteran and know a helluva lot about war and war planning, both successful and the poor kind.

Do any of you have any suggestions as to how my son might help fight the WAR on TERROR but not become so personally involved in the combat operations?

Psychoblues

Forum List

Back