8% unemployment - more like 20% actually

I'm sorry, are you seriously claiming the highways would be built if the government was not involved at all?

Didn't make that claim.
I stated that government produces NOTHING.
And if something would not be produced without the government, then what difference does it make whether or not the government produces it directly?

Government does not compete in the free market, never makes a profit
That's the whole point of government: to provide services that the free market is inadequate to supply especially due to lack of profit.

[qutoe]and is ALWAYS delendent on CITIZENS-TAXPAYERS to get every cent it has.
And every company is ALWAYS dependent on consumers to get every cent. The only difference is that benefits to citizens are not always direct.

EVERYTHING government does is from TAXPAYERS.
And your alternative would be?[/QUOTE]

Privatize as much as possible always lowers government cost.

I know it and you have made my case for me.
But the demand is created by THE TAXPAYER, not the government.
Government is an entity only.

A corporation is an entity only, as well. So I guess the point of this ridiculous argument is that government doesn't produce anything, companies don't produce anything, company owners don't produce anything, only company employees produce stuff....

But the government, companies and citizens can all create demand.

OK then.

Government never increases demand.

So the government didn't increase demand during WW2?

How many incumbant presidents have been re-elected on those numbers ??? -not since FDR

1 and out for Obama - unless there is an unprecedented economic turnaround by 2012.

The construction industry in this country which is huge--is around 30%--aka depression era levels. We are at 9.1% statistically--but they do not count those that have given up looking for work--and or that have run out of their unemployment benefits. They also do not count the 25% considered underemployed in this country--working part time or temporary jobs. And they certainly do not take into account that there are 47 million Americans that are receiving food stamps.

I know it and you have made my case for me.
But the demand is created by THE TAXPAYER, not the government.
Government is an entity only.

A corporation is an entity only, as well. So I guess the point of this ridiculous argument is that government doesn't produce anything, companies don't produce anything, company owners don't produce anything, only company employees produce stuff....

But the government, companies and citizens can all create demand.

OK then.

Government never increases demand.

Public education adds value to the population/workforce. Education increases employability. Education increases earning power and thus increases buying power.

Increased employability and earning/buying power create increased demand for goods and services, which increases the need for more labor, which creates more buying power and thus more demand for more goods and services,

and on and on it goes.

How many incumbant presidents have been re-elected on those numbers ??? -not since FDR

1 and out for Obama - unless there is an unprecedented economic turnaround by 2012.

The construction industry in this country which is huge--is around 30%--aka depression era levels.
Nope, it's 16.3% The high was 27.1% in Feb 2010.

We are at 9.1% statistically--but they do not count those that have given up looking for work
Why would you count people not trying to work as unemployed?

--and or that have run out of their unemployment benefits.
Benefits have NEVER been part of the definition of unemployed.

They also do not count the 25% considered underemployed in this country--working part time or temporary jobs.
Where'd you get that number from? First why would UNemployment include UNDERemployment? That makes no sense. Second, how can you objectively define "underemployed?" No one ever has.

And they certainly do not take into account that there are 47 million Americans that are receiving food stamps.
Why would they? What does that have to do with unemployment?

Forum List

Back