8 Men Out

And Arnold Rothstein never got caught.

Arnold_Rothstein.jpg

I thought the trial was rushed. How are those guys remembered? Victims or villains ?

The film tried to show why they sold out. Charles Comisky was a prick

Eddie Ciccotte was their best pitcher. He made $6,000 a year. There was a clause in his contract that he would get a $10,000 bonus if he won 30 games. He won 29 with three starts left and Comisky ordered him benched

Of course Ciccotte took a bribe

Just watched this one. Cracking film. Is it the truth?

How should we know?

You claim that you watched it, and if it was anyone else, there would be little reason to doubt the truth of such a claim, but given that it's you, and given your long-established history of being rather solidly removed from truth, I think it would be foolish to assume, just because you claim to have watched something that it is the truth.

I thought the trial was rushed. How are those guys remembered? Victims or villains ?

Eddie Ciccotte was their best pitcher. He made $6,000 a year. There was a clause in his contract that he would get a $10,000 bonus if he won 30 games. He won 29 with three starts left and Comisky ordered him benched

When did the players get some protection ?

1970s when the reserve clause was abolished
It allowed them to become free agents after so many years

For reference, that would be a $91k salary today.

The bonus would be $152k.

Of course they also didn't have the expenses then we have now, but baseball players made more than average back then, not what they make today.

Of course they also didn't have the expenses then we have now, but baseball players made more than average back then, not what they make today.

Still shows why Ciccotte would be pissed at Comisky.

With the others, gambling was not that big a deal. It was common for players to take bribes

With the others, gambling was not that big a deal. It was common for players to take bribes

He was a cheapskate. But also remember baseball didn't bring in the money it does today. back then you had gate receipts, vending, outfield wall advertising, and maybe some radio $$.

Is there a article on the level of bribery in baseball in the early 1900's?

He was a cheapskate. But also remember baseball didn't bring in the money it does today. back then you had gate receipts, vending, outfield wall advertising, and maybe some radio $$.

Is there a article on the level of bribery in baseball in the early 1900's?

Major League Baseball scandals - Wikipedia

1970s when the reserve clause was abolished
It allowed them to become free agents after so many years
It was the mid sixties in football.There was a maximum wage until then which put players just above the level of skilled labourers. This came about through the players union standing up to the clubs. Unions eh ?

Nowadays the game is corrupt and beset by gamblers. Not the major leagues though. But it wouldnt cost much to buy players in the Russian lower leagues and you can bet on everything from your armchair these days.

Last edited:

New Topics

Forum List

Back