8 British soldiers killed in Afghanistan

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
The British military's death toll in Afghanistan surpassed the number of lives claimed in Iraq on Friday, as eight soldiers died in separate attacks in the past 24 hours.

The Ministry of Defence said five soldiers were killed by an explosive device while on patrol in Helmand province.

Three other combat deaths were announced earlier in the day, making it one of the worst days for British forces since the Afghan war began seven years ago.

The names of the soldiers have not been released, but next of kin have been notified, the ministry said.

Friday's fresh casualties mean 15 British soldiers have been killed in the last 10 days as fighting in Helmand Province intensifies.

Speaking at the G8 summit in L'Aquila, Italy, British Prime Minister Gordon Brown defended the Afghan mission, his voice faltering as he expressed sympathy to the families of those who have been killed in recent days.

8 British soldiers killed in Afghanistan

we are not the only ones losing young men, our condolences go out to our allies, the brits, during these days of mouring

"War is hell." Condolences to the Brit soldiers. But, how many terrorists were taken out with their efforts? It has to be stopped in the Middle East folks, otherwise it will spill out into the cities of Europe. The Brits know that, but the Germans and French are sitting on their thumbs while the Brits and the Americans are dealing with the terrorist problem alone without support from the EU or the United Nations.

why the need for the but...then the rant? this is simply a thread in reconition of what happened to the brits....a heavy toll for them..3 of the young men were only 18. could you try not to be such an asshat?

The Brits are used to losing people in Afghanistan pointlessly.

This is the second time they've been there and I have very little doubt that they will end this misadventure, just as they did once before. the UK willevntually decide to pull out of that shithole and let the Afghanis decide how that nation will run.

As will the Americans, sooner (one hopes) rather than later.

I don't understand the Goal of being there? It is not to get bin laden, it is almost too late for that...I mean if a dog snaps at ya, the time to reprimand is when they snapped at ya.

Why, 8 years after 911, are we there and why are our guys and others, like these poor Brits, dying for us over there?

Please, someone explain why it is worth being there and letting our guys...fathers, brothers, friends, uncles...die?

Care

The eight were repatriated to Britain yesterday. I was at Wootten Bassett to pay my own respects to these fallen heroes.

Rest in peace lads. We shall not forget you.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1ZzRvNar_o]YouTube - Tribute to Eight Heroes in Wootten Bassett on 14 July 2009[/ame]​

With the tears a Land hath shed
Their graves should ever be green.
~Thomas Bailey Aldrich

My thoughts are with their families and brothers in arms, as they themselves are with God. Rest in peace soldiers.

One of those killed last week was Lieutenant Colonel Rupert Thorneloe, the commanding officer of the Welsh Guards. He was an officer who led from the front and was Britain's most senior officer to die in combat since the Falklands War. His funeral took place yesterday.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10VqvTGGl7k]YouTube - Funeral held for senior army officer[/ame]​

Rest in peace my brother.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow (1)
Between the crosses, row on row
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

John McCrae: In Flanders Fields

i always think of this poem....i also realize how classy....brits are...wearing real poppies instead of the fake ones....

Forum List

Back