8.9 Earthquake hits Japan, causes tsunami

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
Massive tsunamis coming on shore. It's on CNN now.

Unbelievable!

8.9 is friggin' huge.

Being a life long so cal resident, save for 11 1/2 years in the Army, I've been through some huge ones. But 8.9?.......That's friggin' sheer terror on steroids right there.

The footage coming out of there is amazing.

For Tsunami alerts warnings, information
West Coast and Alaska Tsunami Information

For earthquake information
Latest Earthquakes in the World - Past 7 days

Also, this is being discussed in the Environment section as well.

Hope everyone is doing good
keeping safe
staying outta trouble too
Thanks for those links.

I live about a 1/2 mile above the ocean in Malibu. Should be quite interesting to see the swells in a few hours. So far the local news hasn't said anything about a possible threat. But, the night is relatively young.

8.9........I can only imagine what those people must have gone through.

Last edited:
Well hopefully surf will not be too up for you there. My family lives between Del Mar and La Jolla but we are up high enough so unless it is over 100 foot wave we should be fine. And still no warnings.

I don't like even the little things we get that the news calls earthquakes at 3.0.
I cannot imagine being in anything like that. Scary.

Well hopefully surf will not be too up for you there. My family lives between Del Mar and La Jolla but we are up high enough so unless it is over 100 foot wave we should be fine. And still no warnings.

I don't like even the little things we get that the news calls earthquakes at 3.0.
Hawaii just went on severe alert. We'll probably see some good swells this way sometime tomorrow. Surfers will be in heaven.

And yeah, 8.9 is just amazing.

When I think of that compared to the San Fernando quake in '70, where I was thrown out of bed down in Anaheim at 6 years old, and the Northridge quake where our neighborhood in Burbank was trashed, I can't even imagine what that 8.9 would be like.

Well, if we get any warnings be safe
I am off to try and get some sleep since have to be up at 6 am and now midnight. Hopefully our job, which is a coastal home, will not have any tsunami issues if one should hit here.

Reporting from Beijing and Tokyo An 8.9-magnitude earthquake struck off the northeast coast of Japan on Friday, shaking office buildings in Tokyo and setting off a devastating tsunami that swept away cars and boats.

The quake — the world's fifth largest since 1900, according to the U.S. Geological Survey — struck at 2.46 p.m. local time.

There were reports of injuries in Tokyo as officials tried to assess damage, injuries and deaths from the quake and tsunami, but there were no immediate details.

Japanese television showed aerial footage of an ominous 13-foot muddy wave washing across land along the northeastern coast near the epicenter.

In various locations, live TV coverage showed massive damage from the tsunami, with dozens of cars, boats and even buildings being carried along by waters. A large ship swept away by the tsunami rammed into a breakwater in Kesennuma city in Miyagi prefecture. Waves could be seen splashing into city streets and over bridges.

All trains in Tokyo were stopped, and black plumes of smoke rose over the skyline. Office workers rushed out of their buildings. Subways were halted, trapping commuters underground. In the nation with the world's third-largest economy, all airports were closed.
Japan earthquake: Magnitude 8.9 quake rocks Japan - latimes.com

Oh well looks like Khadaffi's gonna get away with it then, now no-one is paying attention to Libya anymore.

(Mind you, reading this forum you'd barely realise anything was going on in Libya)

Oh well looks like Khadaffi's gonna get away with it then, now no-one is paying attention to Libya anymore.

(Mind you, reading this forum you'd barely realise anything was going on in Libya)

Probably the attention deficiet disordered viewing public will now focus on the tsunami.

I doubt that what the US public is focusing on will much matter to the outcome in Libya, though

What happens in Libya is not really all about us, ya' know?

Last edited:
Largest in recorded history

8.9 magnitude quake triggers tsunami in Japan - USATODAY.com

TOKYO (AP) — A powerful tsunami spawned by the largest earthquake in Japan's recorded history slammed the eastern coast Friday, sweeping away boats, cars, homes and people as widespread fires burned out of control. Tsunami warnings blanketed the entire Pacific, as far away as South America, Canada, Alaska and the entire U.S. West Coast.

Authorities said at least 32 people were killed. The magnitude 8.9 offshore quake was followed by at least 19 aftershocks, most of them of more than magnitude 6.0. Dozens of cities and villages along a 1,300-mile stretch of coastline were shaken by violent tremors that reached as far away as Tokyo, hundreds of miles from the epicenter.

A utility company in northeastern Japan reported a fire in a turbine building of nuclear power plant.

"The earthquake has caused major damage in broad areas in northern Japan," Prime Minister Naoto Kan said at a news conference.

Last edited:

Hawaii just went on severe alert. We'll probably see some good swells this way sometime tomorrow. Surfers will be in heaven.

And yeah, 8.9 is just amazing.

When I think of that compared to the San Fernando quake in '70, where I was thrown out of bed down in Anaheim at 6 years old, and the Northridge quake where our neighborhood in Burbank was trashed, I can't even imagine what that 8.9 would be like.

Last Easter had a 7.2 here in Yuma. My RV rocked for 50 sec. side to side like a boat in a stormy sea, springs creaked, but the stabilizer jacks stayed put. I agree about being unable to imagine what an 8.9 would be like.

Looks like the tsunami i Hawaii will amount to a few higher than usuall waves with little to no damage.

Unfortunately there are 200-300 deaths being reported in Japan now.

Forum List

Back