8.8 Magnitude Earthquake in Chile

But that is still not the most dangerous quake zone for the US. Were the New Madrid quakes happen today as they did in 1812, the damage would be in the trillions of dollars. And we would be in need of other nations help in initial search are rescue efforts.

and from what i understand there are very few structures built with earthquake resistant construction in that area........

Chile sets on one of the most active subduction zones in the world. As such, it can and does get quakes exceeding 9. Here in the States, we have one two areas with that kind of quakes. Alaska, and the Pacific Northwest.

The last time a 9+ quake let go in Alaska was on Good Friday, 1964, and Anchorage was devestated.

The last time the Pacific Northwest Subduction Zone let go, it was a 9.5, and in the Straight of Juan de Fuca, put driftwood 500 ft up hillsides. That was on January 29, 1700, if I am remembering the date correctly. From the evidence, the quake let go from the junction off Cape Mendecino, to the North end of Vancouver Island.

But that is still not the most dangerous quake zone for the US. Were the New Madrid quakes happen today as they did in 1812, the damage would be in the trillions of dollars. And we would be in need of other nations help in initial search are rescue efforts.

I don't know how you sleep at night, Old Rocks. I mean with the fear of global warming, the flu pandemic, being ranked #37 in healthcare, and the earth quakes, you have to be taking drugs to sleep.

I sure hope the death toll doesn't come in anywhere close to what Haiti's was. There is a a lot of devastation, but my prayers are with that country today.

I heard that George Bush was seen off the coast of Chile right before the quake. Hmmmm

Don't forget, he bought some land in Paraguay a few years back. Not too far from Chile. :eusa_think:

Forum List

Back