8.8 Magnitude Earthquake in Chile

Here, this might help you folks in California:

SOPAC - Southern Pacific Tectonics, USGS WCMG

The San Andreas is the boundary between the North American and Pacific tectonic plates. See the little red circle on the map in the link? That's right about where this quake occurred. It's a boundary between three interacting plates - the North American, the Nazca and the Antarctic. All moving in different directions at different speeds. Which helps push up the Andes, creates some of the word's more active volcanoes and also makes the ground shake on a regular basis.

Not only is there no connection between the San Andreas and the fault systems there, but the area doesn't even interact with the same tectonic plates. In other words, the motion is different, the cause is different and there is no relationship between events in California and Southern Chile.

Hope that helps a little?

@ Wry Catcher

Yeah man, I'm sure the 1906 earthquakes were just a huge coincidence.

But living in San Francisco, you really shouldn't need an earthquake that happens half way around the world, to prompt newfound preparedness.

Wow, an earthquake almost 1000 times more powerful than the one in Haiti, and hardly anyone feels like talking about it.

I guess everyone's waiting for the media to tell them how much they should care about this one before they put too much effort into it :rolleyes:

Wow, an earthquake almost 1000 times more powerful than the one in Haiti, and hardly anyone feels like talking about it.

I guess everyone's waiting for the media to tell them how much they should care about this one before they put too much effort into it :rolleyes:

no shit---we should be freaked out and speculate that millions are dead. What's wrong with us ?

Chile had a bad quake in the 60's. My understanding is like LA, they've built more to codes. I'm praying that the toll will show the reasoning behind those codes. Haiti was a basketcase before the quake, it didn't help matters thus the attention.

Reminds me of a Simpson's episode:

Kent Brockman: But first, the death count from the killer snowstorm, bearing down on us like a shotgun full of snow.

Weatherman: Well Kent, as of now, the death count is zero. But it's expected to shoot up at any moment.

Kent Brockman: Oh my God! Damn you snow! (shakes fist toward sky)

Repent! the end of time is near!

When churches quit passing the offering plate I might believe that end of time is near.

no shit---we should be freaked out and speculate that millions are dead. What's wrong with us ?

I'm interested in the media showing us what WOULD have happened if the epicenter was right under a school. And then what would have happened if it was right under a school for bunnies.

My Lord. I'm watching the pictures comming out of Chile, looks like mostly smaller buildings and unfortunetly homes were affected. Praying for the people of Hawaii and all surrounding areas that this thing does not turn into a worse situation.

A point of (hopefully only) historical interest. In 1906 San Francisco had a 7.7 EQ on April 18th; and Santiago, Chile an 8.6 event on Aug 17th. Related or not, todays event should suggest to all to be prepared for mother nature, especially those living in California.

Yeah was up early this AM and caught the news.

I was surprised to hear that the strongest earthquake ever recored, 9 point something on the Richter happened in Chile in 1960.

Wow. Tough place to live. Are they near a big fault or something??? Anyone know.

A 6.3 aftershock just hit Argentina.

I'm not against helping any country in need, but you really have to have concerns over the financial stability of the U.S. after Obama's massive spending spree.

Next, there will be disastrous problems in Hawaii (and elsewhere) from the Tsunamis.

America is ill-equipped to financially handle disasters in our own country now or in the future...there will be disasters here...count on it.

I'm not against helping any country in need, but you really have to have concerns over the financial stability of the U.S. after Obama's massive spending spree.

Next, there will be disastrous problems in Hawaii (and elsewhere) from the Tsunamis.

America is ill-equipped to financially handle disasters in our own country now or in the future...there will be disasters here...count on it.

Absolutely we have yet to recover from the great Bush disaster.
We do not yet even have a recovery plan.

I wondered how long it would take for this to be Bush's fault. But from this point forward we must blame the earthquakes on Obama. They happened on his watch. He's responsible. He's even going to create Tsunamis. He can print more money.

I wondered how long it would take for this to be Bush's fault. But from this point forward we must blame the earthquakes on Obama. They happened on his watch. He's responsible. He's even going to create Tsunamis. He can print more money.

Umm can you read? I did not blame this disaster on Bush at all.
But your confusion is understandable since the text was not accompanied with a video of a spittle blowing talking head type.

But your confusion is understandable since the text was not accompanied with a video of a spittle blowing talking head type.

Just keep beatin' that dead horse. At least you're working at something.

Here, this might help you folks in California:

SOPAC - Southern Pacific Tectonics, USGS WCMG

The San Andreas is the boundary between the North American and Pacific tectonic plates. See the little red circle on the map in the link? That's right about where this quake occurred. It's a boundary between three interacting plates - the North American, the Nazca and the Antarctic. All moving in different directions at different speeds. Which helps push up the Andes, creates some of the word's more active volcanoes and also makes the ground shake on a regular basis.

Not only is there no connection between the San Andreas and the fault systems there, but the area doesn't even interact with the same tectonic plates. In other words, the motion is different, the cause is different and there is no relationship between events in California and Southern Chile.

Hope that helps a little?

@ Wry Catcher

Yeah man, I'm sure the 1906 earthquakes were just a huge coincidence.

But living in San Francisco, you really shouldn't need an earthquake that happens half way around the world, to prompt newfound preparedness.

Point noted. We have a large storage container with our camping gear (tents, bags, camp stove & fuel, tarps, etc) on our side yard and always a case of water along with canned food.

Just keep beatin' that dead horse. At least you're working at something.

My avitar is the symbol of the economic recovery.
Keep doing the same things that cuused the recession and expect a recovery....

Forum List

Back