75,000 US veterans face homelessness

I am 100% pro-veteran having served for 20 years in the military; however, there are two sides to this "hire the veteran" coin. As SFC Ollie has posted, there are many excellent reasons that an employer should hire a veteran - and I applaud the companies that do that BUT just being a veteran should not automatically give you a place in line in the employment world. As with all employment opportunities, often a person needs to start at the bottom and work his way up the ladder of success. A quality veteran with a good work ethic will outshine others and quickly advance as a general rule. I've seen this happen to both myself and many others. The sad side of the coin is that I have seen many veterans unwilling to begin a job in the trenches and work his way out and expects placement above others with nothing to offer the employer except a "veteran's status" as a reason for employment. So, as I have stated, I am fully supportive of "hiring a vet", that same vet needs to do his part too and not expect employment to be simply given because he is a veteran.
vets are the absolute guardians of freedom in this country.with Gods providence they have secured every fundamental right to insure freedom and prosperity in this land.being a veteran gives you the right to expect respect and honor from all peoples and facets of American culture.:clap2:

Last edited:
I wasn't in the service. But I may wind up homeless. Anyone got a shed I can live in with my 3 dogs and 1 cat, 1 pc, and my tv?

Sorry Grace, hardfast rule, No Cats..... Colonel would be too happy to have them for Dinner.......

My cat is my dogs pet. She thinks she is a dog. But..alas. Too bad. I'd like to live in your shed. :lol:

Afterward, some in Congress pushed for the Pentagon to change course and keep Walter Reed open, but an independent group reviewed the idea and recommended moving forward with Walter Reed's closure plans.

It concluded that the Defense Department was or should have been aware of the widespread problems but neglected them because they knew Walter Reed was scheduled to be closed. Then-Defense Secretary Robert Gates agreed, and said there was little wisdom in pouring money into Walter Reed to keep it open indefinitely.

Associated Press

seems like all the vets really get is a load of lip service

The country should take care of its vets, no ifs.

But I would like to see a difference of benefits between those who were combat soldiers, and those who just sat at a desk or something. Being a member of the 108th Emergency Shoe Repair Brigade just doesn't cut it. :D

Wrong fucking answer. Anyone in uniform today can come under fire. Ask Private First Class Jessica Lynch how safe she was driving a truck. Or talk to the Marines who were sitting in their barracks in Beirut. You wear the uniform you have my respect, and I don't give a shit if you were an underwater mess kit repairman. A soldier is a soldier.

Ollie these civilians don't understand whats really going on in the Military and quite frankly I am tired of trying to explain it, yes everyone in the service is assigned a specific MOS or in the Air Force AFSC (Air Force Specialty Code) however that doesn't mean you will strictly be doing that your whole career, and when you deploy the whole game is changed, when I was deployed we were asked to perform guard duty, ride in convoys, everything sometimes alongside Army infantry soldiers. My buddy was a personnelist and served his 6 months in Afghanistan working alongside the Army checking vehicles for explosives and actually had to detain some Taliban prisoners, like I said there is a serious disconnect right now, civilians think that if a Soldier has a specific job like mechanic or even a cook that he will doing that 24/7 until he or she gets out, but the reality of the situation is you can be asked to do almost anything in the service right now and EVERYONE is vulnerable when you deploy overseas.

But I would like to see a difference of benefits between those who were combat soldiers, and those who just sat at a desk or something. Being a member of the 108th Emergency Shoe Repair Brigade just doesn't cut it. :D

Wrong fucking answer. Anyone in uniform today can come under fire. Ask Private First Class Jessica Lynch how safe she was driving a truck. Or talk to the Marines who were sitting in their barracks in Beirut. You wear the uniform you have my respect, and I don't give a shit if you were an underwater mess kit repairman. A soldier is a soldier.

Jessica Lynch was in a COMBAT ZONE. That's not the same as someone sitting out the war behind a desk in the US, where the biggest danger is from paper cuts.

There is very little choice in where one is stationed. There is no MOS that I know of that can guarantee that one stays stateside. And even if it were possible, does Ft Hood ring any bells. Again, if you have the guts to wear the uniform, you have all the respect as any other soldier. And again I don't give a rats ass where you are stationed, or what your job is.

Ollie these civilians don't understand whats really going on in the Military and quite frankly I am tired of trying to explain it, yes everyone in the service is assigned a specific MOS or in the Air Force AFSC (Air Force Specialty Code) however that doesn't mean you will strictly be doing that your whole career, and when you deploy the whole game is changed, when I was deployed we were asked to perform guard duty, ride in convoys, everything sometimes alongside Army infantry soldiers. My buddy was a personnelist and served his 6 months in Afghanistan working alongside the Army checking vehicles for explosives and actually had to detain some Taliban prisoners, like I said there is a serious disconnect right now, civilians think that if a Soldier has a specific job like mechanic or even a cook that he will doing that 24/7 until he or she gets out, but the reality of the situation is you can be asked to do almost anything in the service right now and EVERYONE is vulnerable when you deploy overseas.

Every soldier is first an infantryman.

Jessica Lynch was in a COMBAT ZONE. That's not the same as someone sitting out the war behind a desk in the US, where the biggest danger is from paper cuts.

There is very little choice in where one is stationed. There is no MOS that I know of that can guarantee that one stays stateside. And even if it were possible, does Ft Hood ring any bells. Again, if you have the guts to wear the uniform, you have all the respect as any other soldier. And again I don't give a rats ass where you are stationed, or what your job is.

Yup, even recruiters are getting called up and activated into their old MOS's to serve overseas.

Every soldier is first an infantryman.

Shit Ollie at the point we are now, every Airman is also an infantryman first. :salute:

I don't care if a Veteran was an interior decorator during his service, still has more guts than you ever will pussy.

I am a combat vet. What does America owe me, when my service is done?

America does not owe me a job. Americas does owe me the same opportunity for a job, as she does any other American.

America does not owe me a free ride through life. America does owe me free care for any injuries I suffered as a result of my service, and compensation for any disability I suffer as a result. of my service.

America does not owe me a living. America does owe me whatever pension and benefits I was promised when I took the oath, and subsequently earned.

Beyond that, America never promised me special treatment, or special privilege. I do not need or want either. My service taught me to do the best I am able to do; it taught me the value of hard work; it taught me honor, integrity, and a sense of personal responsibility and accountability for everything I do. My service taught me not to make excuses for myself. Give me the same rights I fought to protect for every American, and I will be fine. I have had the honor and privilege of serving this nation; that is enough.

Do not place me on a pedestal; do not make me a pariah. I can carry my share of the load; do not lighten it, or add to my burden.

Of course thousands of returning VETS are having trouble finding employment that pays nearly as well as their cushy military salaries and benefits.

The civilian world just doesn't pay all that well by comparison to what the military pays.

What is a Grunt actually worth to most businesses?

Zip!

You have made some intelligent posts. THIS was NOT one of them!

Here's the official release for Employment Situation of Veterans 2010 Basically, it's not that much different from non-veterans. The article tries to scare us with "20% unemployment rate for young veterans" and fails to point out that it's 17.3% for young non-veterans (and the difference is not statistically significant). And a larger percentage of young veterans are trying to work, compared to non-vets.

One thing to keep in mind, is that few veterans age 18-24 will have a college degree...a much smaller number than their civilian counterparts and education will make a big difference.

Last edited:
Here's the official release for Employment Situation of Veterans 2010 Basically, it's not that much different from non-veterans. The article tries to scare us with "20% unemployment rate for young veterans" and fails to point out that it's 17.3% for young non-veterans (and the difference is not statistically significant). And a larger percentage of young veterans are trying to work, compared to non-vets.

One thing to keep in mind, is that few veterans age 18-24 will have a college degree...a much smaller number than their civilian counterparts and education will make a big difference.

thank you...;)

I don't care if a Veteran was an interior decorator during his service, still has more guts than you ever will pussy.

Want to test that theory boy? I'll PM you how to get here.

Wow challenging someone to a fight over the internet, how original. Go fuck yourself.

Neg repped for being an asshole

People could get shot up in a massacre like at Fort Hood anywhere - does 9/11 ring any bells? And the Ft. Hood massacre was due to the Pee See that the left has infected the military with - from what I read, nobody demanded that someone do something about the guy's erratic behavior leading up to the massacre, because they would be called "racist" and it would harm their career.

Yes, obviously I can guess that anyone can be sent to a combat zone - BUT SOME NEVER ARE. I wanted to make a reasonable distinction between those who have and those who didn't for benefit purposes. The military does that already with a pay differential - don't they?

Last edited:

file.php

Forum List

Back