75,000 US veterans face homelessness

hvactec

VIP Member
Jan 17, 2010
New Jersey
The unemployment rate among American young veterans stood at nearly 21 percent last year according to the US Labor Department.

Over 75,000 US military personnel face the predicament of homelessness after they return home from US-led wars abroad, feeling the burden of increased mental pressure.

According to data published by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs, the number of US veterans, homeless on any given night as of June this year, stands at a staggering 75,700, a Press TV correspondent reported Friday.

"It's a critical time; we have veterans that are returning from Iraq and Afghanistan that are potentially becoming homeless in higher numbers than they have in the past," said Anne Oliva, director of the Department of Housing and Urban Development's homeless office.

Formerly deployed in military missions overseas, the veterans are finding it more difficult to find employment at home.

The unemployment rate among American young veterans stood at nearly 21 percent last year according to the US Labor Department.

"It's a national disgrace, the situation of returning soldiers and veterans. And it reflects the overall situation of the US economy, which is in a state of collapse and it's only going to get worse with all the budget cuts," said Edward Spannaus, Legal Affairs Editor.

read more - video clip PressTV - 75,000 US veterans face homelessness

Over 75,000 US military personnel face the predicament of homelessness after they return home from US-led wars abroad, feeling the burden of increased mental pressure.

According to data published by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs, the number of US veterans, homeless on any given night as of June this year, stands at a staggering 75,700, a Press TV correspondent reported Friday.

"It's a critical time; we have veterans that are returning from Iraq and Afghanistan that are potentially becoming homeless in higher numbers than they have in the past," said Anne Oliva, director of the Department of Housing and Urban Development's homeless office.

Formerly deployed in military missions overseas, the veterans are finding it more difficult to find employment at home.

"It's a national disgrace, the situation of returning soldiers and veterans. And it reflects the overall situation of the US economy, which is in a state of collapse and it's only going to get worse with all the budget cuts," said Edward Spannaus, Legal Affairs Editor.

read more - video clip PressTV - 75,000 US veterans face homelessness

the link doesn't seem to load.
so these are all iraq or afghan vets? that have been overseas? all of them?not buying it.

A lot of them are from Iraqi and Afghan. A lot of employers wont hire them because they are afraid of PTSD. Oprah had it on her show awhile ago just how many women alone that homeless with children. This is such a shameful thing to have our American hero's ( no matter what war they are from) are homeless. I guess I am partial since I am married to a retired navy senior chief who served 25 years. There should be something in place to help these vets get help with jobs placements with Vet friendly employers!

A lot of them are from Iraqi and Afghan. A lot of employers wont hire them because they are afraid of PTSD. Oprah had it on her show awhile ago just how many women alone that homeless with children. This is such a shameful thing to have our American hero's ( no matter what war they are from) are homeless. I guess I am partial since I am married to a retired navy senior chief who served 25 years. There should be something in place to help these vets get help with jobs placements with Vet friendly employers!

A large porportion of them will never be able to work in any role, cept as mercenaries for blackwater, etc.

A large porportion of them will never be able to work in any role, cept as mercenaries for blackwater, etc.

oh for christ sakes...:lol:

here is a link to the link just below - The unemployment rate among American young veterans stood at nearly 21 percent last year according to the US Labor Department.
-at that site click on link
75,000 US veterans face homelessness, page 1

and the rate among blacks is ? EVERYONE is hurting.....see?

anyway, this is what interests me..

read it, I mean READ it..what does "potentially becoming homeless" mean, exactly?

I laud your concern, but I have been bit by these types of my god its the end of times reports before.

how do they know that? you cannot refuse employment due to suspicion of ptsd...and Oprah means , well not a whole lot to me. show me the data;)

Employers need to be educated. Vets are the people they want to hire. The veteran is the guy who is used to work, who has learned things like dedication and loyalty.

10 Reasons to Hire Vets

1. Accelerated Learning Curve.

Vets have the proven ability to quickly learn new skills and concepts. They possess identifiable and transferable skills proven to achieve success.

2. Leadership.

Vets understand practical ways to manage and achieve goals even in the most trying circumstances. They are trained to lead by example as well as through direction, delegation, motivation and inspiration.

3. Teamwork.

Vets understand how genuine teamwork grows out of a responsibility to one's colleagues and how diverse individuals or groups can best work together to achieve overarching objectives.

4. Diversity and inclusion in action.

Vets have worked respectfully and cooperatively alongside others regardless of their race, ethnicity, gender, religion or mental or physical capabilities.

5. Efficient performance under pressure.

Vets have the capacity to know how to accomplish tasks on time and in spite of stress or adversity. They understand the importance of dedication and perseverance.

6. Respect for procedures.

Vets have gained a unique perspective on the value of accountability. They understand how policies and procedures yeild stability, safety and productivity.

7. Technology and globalization.

Vets are aware of international and technical trends pertinent to business. They bring the kind of global outlook and technological savvy necessary for success.

8. Integrity.

Vets know what it means to do "an honest day's work." This integrity translates into qualities of sincerity and trustworthiness.

9. Conscious of health and safety standards.

Vets are cognizant of the importance of health and safety standards. This concientiousness translates into the protection of self, others and property.

10. Triumph over adversity.

Vets are individuals who have triumphed over adversity. They have the proven ability to overcome challenges and obstacles through strength and determination.

Why Hire A Vet?

I guess vets fall into that category some on this board were saying are the lazy and unemployable because they work in minimum wage jobs. And the numbers below are the ones who are not working and looking for work!!! Many are working in those low paying jobs.

The average national unemployment rate for male veterans aged 18-24 who have served their country since September 2001 is staggering: 28.3 percent were out of work in the second quarter of this year, up from 21.9 percent for all of last year, according to the Department of Labor.
Male veterans aged 25-34 have fared slightly better. An average of 14.5 percent were unemployed between April and June of this year, compared to 9.5 percent of non-veterans in the same age group.
Back from war, young vets struggle to find good jobs - Yahoo! News

Jones said he has encountered the added hurdle of prejudice, despite the fact that the Hampton Roads area where he lives is home to major Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, Army and Coast Guard installations.
"Jarhead, that's what we're called," he said. "A lot of people are like 'Oh, you're a jarhead, you've got nothing in there. All you know how to do is fight.'"

Last edited:
Employers need to be educated. Vets are the people they want to hire. The veteran is the guy who is used to work, who has learned things like dedication and loyalty.

10 Reasons to Hire Vets

Vets have the proven ability to quickly learn new skills and concepts. They possess identifiable and transferable skills proven to achieve success.

2. Leadership.

Vets understand practical ways to manage and achieve goals even in the most trying circumstances. They are trained to lead by example as well as through direction, delegation, motivation and inspiration.

3. Teamwork.

Vets understand how genuine teamwork grows out of a responsibility to one's colleagues and how diverse individuals or groups can best work together to achieve overarching objectives.

Vets have worked respectfully and cooperatively alongside others regardless of their race, ethnicity, gender, religion or mental or physical capabilities.

Vets have the capacity to know how to accomplish tasks on time and in spite of stress or adversity. They understand the importance of dedication and perseverance.

Vets have gained a unique perspective on the value of accountability. They understand how policies and procedures yeild stability, safety and productivity.

Vets are aware of international and technical trends pertinent to business. They bring the kind of global outlook and technological savvy necessary for success.

8. Integrity.

Vets know what it means to do "an honest day's work." This integrity translates into qualities of sincerity and trustworthiness.

Vets are cognizant of the importance of health and safety standards. This concientiousness translates into the protection of self, others and property.

Vets are individuals who have triumphed over adversity. They have the proven ability to overcome challenges and obstacles through strength and determination.

Why Hire A Vet?

I agree - they are indeed the PREFERRED hires.
They show up on time.
They work their asses off.
They're respectful and trustworthy.
They're proud of what they do and value integrity and teamwork.
They're not afraid to piss in a bottle.

10 Reasons to Hire Vets

2. Leadership.

3. Teamwork.

8. Integrity.

Why Hire A Vet?

Damn straight, some employers that generally don't like the Military won't hire anyone with a Military background out of personal spite.

Of course thousands of returning VETS are having trouble finding employment that pays nearly as well as their cushy military salaries and benefits.

The civilian world just doesn't pay all that well by comparison to what the military pays.

What is a Grunt actually worth to most businesses?

Zip!

heres is what I found-

The National Center on Homelessness Among Veterans - Homeless Veterans

this is what you should have linked to;)

http://www.hudhre.info/documents/2009AHARVeteransReport.pdf

its inside a few links from the VA..PLEASE read the pdf....( it does support your no. as of 2009 75,609..BUT please read the report).

From your link..

According to the 2008 Annual Homeless Assessment Report to Congress, more than 135,000 adults who served in the armed forces were homeless in a shelter at some point between October 2007 and September 2008, the majority residing in emergency rather than transitional shelters.

Of course thousands of returning VETS are having trouble finding employment that pays nearly as well as their cushy military salaries and benefits.

The civilian world just doesn't pay all that well by comparison to what the military pays.

What is a Grunt actually worth to most businesses?

Zip!

Huh? Military salaries are generally pretty low unless you are an officer. And not everyone who separates from the service is a "grunt", this attitude about prior service people is whats hurting them when they look for employment, you basically know nothing about the Military but you made a post like this.:doubt:

Forum List

Back