7000 Losing Unemployment Benefits Daily

Let generic brand soup and God sort it out.

Or learn how to make things the world wants to buy again.

You can start by learning how to make things other Americans want to buy.

Or you can keep creating financial products that are simply nothing more than a rigged Wallstreet roulette wheel and call it the free market while you get wanked by the not so invisible hand of China, a country that does make things.

As those 7,000 people a day drop off the unemployment roles we will see that translate into a false representation of what the real unemployment number is right now when it's released later next month.

The problem with American manufacturing is that once unions get involved they price American made products right out of the market. Look at all of the non unionized auto plants. They still have jobs.

health care costs and health care benefits to their retirees is what have come back to bite the companies with unions in the butt....when the companies AGREED with the union to give these benefits INSTEAD OF GIVING THEM A RAISE in salary decades ago, probably made a bad decision looking back on it....but to blame unions for what the companies sat at a bargaining table on and came to the agreement on...could be a little short sited and partisan skewed imo.

Its getting worse, not better, but Barry and is goofy friends tell us the recession is over and all is sweetness and light.

Tell that to the people out of work.

i have heard no one say the recession is over....only that things on the market/in the economy have signs of improvement...and that everyone keeps saying that jobs will be the last thing to recover in this recession, or something of the sort...i realize they have trends that they have viewed from the past that give them this impression of how it is going to go...but I am not so certain they are looking at the right trends to compare to...i think we are in more of a depression than a recession and maybe they should look at how unemployment trended during the great depression?

health care costs and health care benefits to their retirees is what have come back to bite the companies with unions in the butt....when the companies AGREED with the union to give these benefits INSTEAD OF GIVING THEM A RAISE in salary decades ago, probably made a bad decision looking back on it....but to blame unions for what the companies sat at a bargaining table on and came to the agreement on...could be a little short sited and partisan skewed imo.

You can't blame this on healthcare when your paying someone 95% of their salary to sit at home on their fat beer drinking ass and watch Oprah for years on end.

That just doesn't fly. Sorry.

and when you pay someone a starting salary of 30 dollars an hour to put floor mats in a car?? Hmmmmmmmmmm......one has to look at the unions and who they are out for...
Hint: THEMSELVES

You can't blame this on healthcare when your paying someone 95% of their salary to sit at home on their fat beer drinking ass and watch Oprah for years on end.

and when you pay someone a starting salary of 30 dollars an hour to put floor mats in a car?? Hmmmmmmmmmm......one has to look at the unions and who they are out for...

But at what POINT do you say to yourself....these companies AGREED to these measures at the Bargaining table? They did NOT have to do such, but they made their own business decisions on what they felt the company or the corporation could afford....these are adults, high powered ceos at the bargaining table...they CERTAINLY DID what was best for the corporation at the time...or at least they thought they did OR THEY DID NOT do their homework correctly and miscalculated what they agreed to which hurt their company and shareholders, while they probably got a big bonus for being the hero that worked the agreement.

To BLAME solely one side like the other side HAD NO PART OF IT, is just wrong Patek....there is always 2 sides to a story...and I am not giving the union who negotiated these deals many moons ago, some of them before these union workers were even born, a pass either...just saying that the picture is bigger than your narrow scope...just open your mind.

and as far as the car manufacturers and their unions....those ceo's imo are to blame for most of what has happened to them....the American company heads did not have vision or insight or ingenuity in their plan...thus sales dropped and every year they lost more and more market share of the industry to the small car maker over seas....

What I am trying to say is that if the ceo's and decision makers of the auto industry continued to have good, strong sales and maintained or grew their share of the market place then there would be NO PROBLEMS with all of the union benefits and pay that they get.....LACK OF SALES, because of not having the right product at the right price, IS THEIR PROBLEM....

Care

Last edited:
i have heard no one say the recession is over....only that things on the market/in the economy have signs of improvement...and that everyone keeps saying that jobs will be the last thing to recover in this recession, or something of the sort...i realize they have trends that they have viewed from the past that give them this impression of how it is going to go...but I am not so certain they are looking at the right trends to compare to...i think we are in more of a depression than a recession and maybe they should look at how unemployment trended during the great depression?

Just because you haven't heard anyone say it does not mean that they haven't been saying it. It means you haven't heard it.... It's been widely reported by the media and believed by a wide variety of idiots.

But at what POINT do you say to yourself....these companies AGREED to these measures at the Bargaining table? They did NOT have to do such, but they made their own business decisions on what they felt the company or the corporation could afford....these are adults, high powered ceos at the bargaining table...they CERTAINLY DID what was best for the corporation at the time...or at least they thought they did OR THEY DID NOT do their homework correctly and miscalculated what they agreed to which hurt their company and shareholders, while they probably got a big bonus for being the hero that worked the agreement.

To BLAME solely one side like the other side HAD NO PART OF IT, is just wrong Patek....there is always 2 sides to a story...and I am not giving the union who negotiated these deals many moons ago, some of them before these union workers were even born, a pass either...just saying that the picture is bigger than your narrow scope...just open your mind.

and as far as the car manufacturers and their unions....those ceo's imo are to blame for most of what has happened to them....the American company heads did not have vision or insight or ingenuity in their plan...thus sales dropped and every year they lost more and more market share of the industry to the small car maker over seas....

What I am trying to say is that if the ceo's and decision makers of the auto industry continued to have good, strong sales and maintained or grew their share of the market place then there would be NO PROBLEMS with all of the union benefits and pay that they get.....LACK OF SALES, because of not having the right product at the right price, IS THEIR PROBLEM....

Care

Look. I see your point...but let's look at it from the Union perspective....you say the company agreed to it. What sword of Damacles was there in the bargaining room over the management side's table?

Strikes
People out of work.
Bad press for the auto companys
Presidents step in...

See my point....
The companies agreed to it under the threat of a strike which would have put millions out of work.
So what did the auto companies do? Raised the price of their products and the consumer...you and me...got it right in our wallets. That's why the price of a 10,000 dollar car is currently $25,000.

Managements side? They were motivated by profit for the share holders...nothing more, nothing less. Their lack of vision and failure to adopt better QC standards are what did them in.

You and I still got screwed in the process.

Care

Look. I see your point...but let's look at it from the Union perspective....you say the company agreed to it. What sword of Damacles was there in the bargaining room over the management side's table?

Strikes
People out of work.
Bad press for the auto companys
Presidents step in...

See my point....
The companies agreed to it under the threat of a strike which would have put millions out of work.
So what did the auto companies do? Raised the price of their products and the consumer...you and me...got it right in our wallets. That's why the price of a 10,000 dollar car is currently $25,000.

Managements side? They were motivated by profit for the share holders...nothing more, nothing less. Their lack of vision and failure to adopt better QC standards are what did them in.

You and I still got screwed in the process.

Well, we agree on your last line!

And I do see your point on the other stuff about some worries about bad publicity...but there were more options on the negotiation tables that they turned down...the companies did choose what to accept, they did not get the unions first request and just accept it...the reason health benefits came in to it was because the companies didn't want to give the bigger raise....at the time they thought they would save money doing such...someone made this CEO decision and they chose wrongly....looking back on it. And many other things such as this they BARGAINED with union members over, AND THEY DID HAVE SAY...AND THEY also had the opportunities to choose different routes on the negotiations...truly, they did....and they chose unwisely....but mainly because they did not have the cars that customers wanted to buy with ingenuity that could call for the price....they kept it simple, and used one category to hold them up, suv's/trucks. which gave them their higher price, but that was short sighted....gasoline prices were rising....oil/gas is in limited supply...they ignored what trends were coming, and got behind the suv's, and instead of projecting the future, they got behind the eight ball and stayed there imo....they made many poor business decisions in my opinion.

and yes, the unions were probably greedy in their negotiations as well, looking back on it.

i have heard no one say the recession is over....only that things on the mrket/in the economy have signs of improvement...and that everyone keeps saying that jobs will be the last thing to recover in this recession, or something of the sort...i realize they have trends that they have viewed from the past that give them this impression of how it is going to go...but I am not so certain they are looking at the right trends to compare to...i think we are in more of a depression than a recession and maybe they should look at how unemployment trended during the great depression?

Just because you haven't heard anyone say it does not mean that they haven't been saying it. It means you haven't heard it.... It's been widely reported by the media and believed by a wide variety of idiots.

i'm uncertain if you are aware, but the administration nor the media get to say when the recession is over... there are specific economic measures that have to be consistently met, before a recession is called''over'' and key economists determine this...whether we are in one and whether we have come out of one....the speculation of others is meaningless....and not official in any manner.

and the cars were made cheaply! I love American cars...I owned 4 Monte Carlo SS's, an Impala, a Pontiac Granville, a Sunbird and a Camaro!! I've done my part to support American manufacturing but when the cars fall apart after a year or so......

Now I own a BMW 525iA and an Mercedes Benz E500. They are hands down the best cars I've ever driven. The BMW is from 2003 and the E Class is from 2005. Never had a single problem with them.

Care

This is all well and good, however, was it the fat cat CEOs who priced themselves out of a job by agreeing to the union demands? Ummm, no. The labor unions and their lazy assed workers did it to themsleves, and rather than take resposnibility for their own actions, they want to blame everyone BUT themselves. I can't feel sorry for them.

Care

This is all well and good, however, was it the fat cat CEOs who priced themselves out of a job by agreeing to the union demands? Ummm, no. The labor unions and their lazy assed workers did it to themsleves, and rather than take resposnibility for their own actions, they want to blame everyone BUT themselves. I can't feel sorry for them.

is there a specific union where all union members are LAZY ASS WORKERS or all union members across the country are LAZY ASS WORKERS and do you have anything to back that up Yank? :eusa_whistle:

care

Care

is there a specific union where all union members are LAZY ASS WORKERS or all union members across the country are LAZY ASS WORKERS and do you have anything to back that up Yank? :eusa_whistle:

care

I most certainly do. Two of my brothers-in-law were employed by the UAW for a period of time back in the nineties. They were told to slow down and to not work faster than any of their "brothers" in the UAW, because if they did, management could find out that not as many union workers were actually needed and one of their "brothers" might get laid off. How's that for pricing yourself out of a job?

Hey it's the "Global Economy" man! Isn't the Global Economy just great? Everyone in the World seems to be prospering in this Global Economy except for American Workers. Wake up America! You're all mere Slaves for the Global Economy now. :(

care

I most certainly do. Two of my brothers-in-law were employed by the UAW for a period of time back in the nineties. They were told to slow down and to not work faster than any of their "brothers" in the UAW, because if they did, management could find out that not as many union workers were actually needed and one of their "brothers" might get laid off. How's that for pricing yourself out of a job?

well, as management, they should have figured out that their workers could be more productive....and spoken to the union about it...management is NOT union.

And if you look at statistics in the area of auto workers, american auto workers are highly productive....americans are highly productive compared to most other countries in the world...we produce more per working hour/dollar overall....

I don't think you can use your brother in laws as an example of the entire auto workers or system....and i don't believe you are normally this unreasonable in your generalizations and insults to a whole group of people based on 2 people out of milliomns either...so, i am not quite certain what is going on with you here...???

care

Last edited:

Forum List

Back