$700,000 From National Science Foundation

oh no... the nerve of them responding to the oil companies' paid hacks.

the horror...

They shouldn't be using taxpayers money to promote a partisan agenda. And, they certainly shouldn't be using the NEA to achieve it. The NEA is not supposed to be a political organization.

After 'Inappropriate' NEA Conference Call, White House Pushes New Guidelines - Political Punch

An August 10, 2009 National Endowment for the Arts conference call in which artists were asked to help support President Obama's agenda -- a call that at least one good government group called "inappropriate" -- has prompted the White House to issue new guidelines to prevent such a call from ever happening again.

"The point of the call was to encourage voluntary participation in a national service initiative by the arts community," White House spokesman Bill Burton told ABC News. "To the extent there was any misunderstanding about what the NEA may do to support the national service initiative, we will correct it. We regret any comments on the call that may have been misunderstood or troubled other participants. We are fully committed to the NEA's historic mission, and we will take all steps necessary to ensure that there is no further cause for questions or concerns about that commitment."

In the call, Yosi Sergant, then the NEA's communications director, seemed to encourage the listeners to create art to further the president's goals by promoting the United We Serve campaign and create art specific to areas of health care, education and the environment.

I guess these new 'guidelines' aren't working too well.

*Yea, I know it's a blog but it's factually accurate and I can't be arsed to go find another source.

oh no... the nerve of them responding to the oil companies' paid hacks.

the horror...

They shouldn't be using taxpayers money to promote a partisan agenda. And, they certainly shouldn't be using the NEA to achieve it. The NEA is not supposed to be a political organization.
That's bad enough, but this is the NSF who is funding a theater group piece.

Crazy.

I don't know if this should be under 'science,' or 'entertainment,' or even 'humor'...

You make the call:

They donated $700k of our money for a propaganda tract on global warming to be performed in NYC...

Perhaps its worth looking at how the NSF process works. To get this money they'd have had to submit an application under a suitable NSF grant program, come up with a proposal that would be peer reviewed (often by working scientists or active researchers in academia), and get approval.

Getting NSF approval isn't easy. It typically requires goals that are measurable and a built in feed back process that is integrated into the program from the ground up.

I'd be pretty curious to read this NSF grant proposal myself. I'm curious what the goals of this project are and how it will be measured. Whatever was in that proposal, it must have done something right. NSF grants are notoriously hard to get your hands on.

I don't know if this should be under 'science,' or 'entertainment,' or even 'humor'...

You make the call:

They donated $700k of our money for a propaganda tract on global warming to be performed in NYC...

Perhaps its worth looking at how the NSF process works. To get this money they'd have had to submit an application under a suitable NSF grant program, come up with a proposal that would be peer reviewed (often by working scientists or active researchers in academia), and get approval.

Getting NSF approval isn't easy. It typically requires goals that are measurable and a built in feed back process that is integrated into the program from the ground up.

I'd be pretty curious to read this NSF grant proposal myself. I'm curious what the goals of this project are and how it will be measured. Whatever was in that proposal, it must have done something right. NSF grants are notoriously hard to get your hands on.

"Getting NSF approval isn't easy. "

Doc, are you serious?

Everything is politicized by this bunch.

I think it's time for you to re-read "1984."

You make the call:

Doc, are you serious?

I think you forget what I do for a living. I can tell you that my experience and the experience of a lot of my colleagues is that getting NSF money is pretty challenging. Holding on to it is even more so.

I've been to countless workshops given by the NSF at the Joint Mathematical Meetings, commiserated with colleagues that were looking for NSF money either for research or for educational innovation purposes, and yes, I can tell you its pretty tough. Some of my friends have worked during sabbaticals at the NSF or agreed to review proposals. The standards are pretty high.

That's what makes me want to read this proposal. They must have knocked it out of the park to sold the NSF on a theater performance. This has to have been an application to one of the NSF's education grant programs.

Doc, are you serious?

I think you forget what I do for a living. I can tell you that my experience and the experience of a lot of my colleagues is that getting NSF money is pretty challenging. Holding on to it is even more so.

I've been to countless workshops given by the NSF at the Joint Mathematical Meetings, commiserated with colleagues that were looking for NSF money either for research or for educational innovation purposes, and yes, I can tell you its pretty tough. Some of my friends have worked during sabbaticals at the NSF or agreed to review proposals. The standards are pretty high.

That's what makes me want to read this proposal. They must have knocked it out of the park to sold the NSF on a theater performance. This has to have been an application to one of the NSF's education grant programs.

Sorry, your experience has nothing to do with this episode in propaganda...

"is pretty challenging..." when the area under discussion is science, or math, with educational objectives, purposes legitimate to the aims of the NSF.

Unless you have seen numerous investments of NSF funds aimed at producing shows about global warming...and on both sides of the issue, then this is an aberration more explainable as in the OP, particularly with the reference to the French Revolution...

Doc, are you serious?

"is pretty challenging..." when the area under discussion is science, or math, with educational objectives, purposes legitimate to the aims of the NSF.

Unless you have seen numerous investments of NSF funds aimed at producing shows about global warming...and on both sides of the issue, then this is an aberration more explainable as in the OP, particularly with the reference to the French Revolution...

He is right. Getting an NSF grant is no easy feat. And, you are likely right. This is likely an aberration.

However, one does not know without seeing the RFP and/or the proposal.

But, the NSF does not normally fund advocacy and that is apparently what this theater piece is.

And, that is an embarrassment.

He is right. Getting an NSF grant is no easy feat. And, you are likely right. This is likely an aberration.

But, the NSF does not normally fund advocacy and that is apparently what this theater piece is.

That's what makes me want to see the NSF proposal behind this. That has to be one amazing proposal or the folks that approved this need to explain why.

And as I said, this has to be one of the NSF Education grant programs. No way on Earth this is part of a research grant program.

That's what makes me want to see the NSF proposal behind this. That has to be one amazing proposal or the folks that approved this need to explain why.

And as I said, this has to be one of the NSF Education grant programs. No way on Earth this is part of a research grant program.
Me too. I may just search for it through FastLane when it is available (if I remember to do so). I find advocacy in the name of education in science is reprehensible and beneath the NSF.

Cool. FastLane has it: Award#1010974 - The Great Immensity

ABSTRACT

The Civilians, Inc., a theatre company in Brooklyn, NY, is producing The Great Immensity, a touring play with songs and video that explores our relationship to the environment, with a focus on critical issues of climate change and biodiversity conservation. The play has been created with a network of partners including the Princeton Environmental Institute and Princeton Atelier Program/Lewis Arts Center, which will maintain an ongoing relationship with the project. The play uses real places and stories drawn from interviews conducted by the artists to create an experience that is part investigative journalism and part inventive theater. Attendance at the performances is projected to be about 75,000.

A major goal of the project is to help the public better appreciate how science studies the Earth's biosphere and to promote an inquisitive curiosity about our place in the natural world. The initiative also intends to create and evaluate a new model for how theater can increase public awareness, knowledge, and engagement with important science-related societal issues.

Project deliverables include the development and testing of online content, podcasts, and videos as well as special community education and outreach efforts in each community where the play is staged. Performances will be accompanied by post-performance panel discussions with the artists, local scientists and policy makers. After the completion of the initial tour, the play will be published, licensed, and made available to other theaters to produce independently.​

ABSTRACT

The Civilians, Inc., a theatre company in Brooklyn, NY, is producing The Great Immensity, a touring play with songs and video that explores our relationship to the environment, with a focus on critical issues of climate change and biodiversity conservation. The play has been created with a network of partners including the Princeton Environmental Institute and Princeton Atelier Program/Lewis Arts Center, which will maintain an ongoing relationship with the project. The play uses real places and stories drawn from interviews conducted by the artists to create an experience that is part investigative journalism and part inventive theater. Attendance at the performances is projected to be about 75,000.

A major goal of the project is to help the public better appreciate how science studies the Earth's biosphere and to promote an inquisitive curiosity about our place in the natural world. The initiative also intends to create and evaluate a new model for how theater can increase public awareness, knowledge, and engagement with important science-related societal issues.

Project deliverables include the development and testing of online content, podcasts, and videos as well as special community education and outreach efforts in each community where the play is staged. Performances will be accompanied by post-performance panel discussions with the artists, local scientists and policy makers. After the completion of the initial tour, the play will be published, licensed, and made available to other theaters to produce independently.​

High five for doing your internet homework. :clap2:

Geek. :tongue:

ABSTRACT

High five for doing your internet homework. :clap2:

Geek. :tongue:
:lol: Thanks, I think.

Anyway, any citizen can ask that an agency's decision or practice be investigated by filing a complaint with the IG for that agency, if one believes there is fraudulent use of funds. NSF OIG - Hotline
The people involved in NSF programs and operations, whether NSF employees, grantees, principal investigators, or others working on NSF programs, grants, or contracts, are in the best position to detect problems. You can help the Office of Inspector General (OIG) improve management and eliminate fraud by providing information to OIG about allegations or suspicions of fraud, waste, abuse, mismanagement, research misconduct (fabrication, falsification, plagiarism), or unnecessary government expenditures.

If you need further information or want to discuss any allegation, please contact our office. To ensure that your concerns are appropriately addressed, it is critically important that you provide as much information as possible in support of your complaint, including:

1. Whether the complaint relates to Recovery Act funded activities,
2. The identity and contact information of the violator(s),
3. The identity and contact information of those persons who can corroborate the allegations, and
4. A description and location of relevant documentary and physical evidence.

While anonymous complaints are welcome, please understand that a lack of sufficient and specific information may mean that our office is unable to investigate the allegation.

If you have concerns about prohibited personnel practices, whistleblowing, or Hatch Act violations, you should review the information on the Office of Special Counsel's web site Office of Special Counsel to determine whether you can report your concern to OSC.

Identity Theft is a crime. If you are concerned that your social security number, credit card number, or other pieces of personal information have been used unlawfully, you may contact NSF OIG for assistance. The Federal Trade Commission web site Deter. Detect. Defend. Avoid ID Theft contains useful information that may assist you in resolving your concerns.​

Bullshit. That is neither the mission nor the purpose of the NSF and has not been since its establishment in the 1950s.
This is quite in line with the mission of the NSF. The NSF supports a wide variety of educational and informational projects for the general public. You apparently have no idea what the NSF does.

The Great Immensity explores the themes of climate change, deforestation and extinction in two distinct locations: Barro Colorado Island (BCI) in the Panama Canal and the city of Churchill in arctic Canada. Both of these extraordinary places have natural ecosystems already deeply affected by the shift in climate, centers of scientific research, and relationships to global shipping: the Panama Canal and the Port of Churchill. The play takes its name from an enormous Chinese Panamax ship that the authors observed crossing the Panama Canal.

Drawing on interviews with individuals such as botanists, paleontologists, climatologists, indigenous community leaders, Polar Bear Tour guides, and trappers, The Great Immensity gives voice to real people whose stories make the reality of present crisis tangible and viscerally felt, inspiring us all to make the profound changes this moment demands.

The Civilians / The Great Immensity
US NSF - Now Showing: Film, TV, Museums & More

LOL. Nah, I have a pretty good idea what the NSF does. Really.

Here, idiot: "to promote the progress of science; to advance the national health, prosperity, and welfare; to secure the national defense…"

What we do

As described in our strategic plan, NSF is the only federal agency whose mission includes support for all fields of fundamental science and engineering, except for medical sciences. We are tasked with keeping the United States at the leading edge of discovery in areas from astronomy to geology to zoology. So, in addition to funding research in the traditional academic areas, the agency also supports "high-risk, high pay-off" ideas, novel collaborations and numerous projects that may seem like science fiction today, but which the public will take for granted tomorrow. And in every case, we ensure that research is fully integrated with education so that today's revolutionary work will also be training tomorrow's top scientists and engineers.

How we work

NSF's task of identifying and funding work at the frontiers of science and engineering is not a "top-down" process. NSF operates from the "bottom up,"
keeping close track of research around the United States and the world, maintaining constant contact with the research community to identify ever-moving horizons of inquiry, monitoring which areas are most likely to result in spectacular progress and choosing the most promising people to conduct the research.

NSF
[Emphasis added] There is nothing remotely related to fundamental science and engineering with the theater. And, there is nothing "bottom up" about this theater funding.

You post links to educational subject matter and think that is comparable to this advocacy theater piece.

Idiot.
The purpose of this presentation is to educate the public in what has been accepted by the vast majority of the scientists throughout the world as scientific fact. The NSF has launched numerous educational presentations which includes such topics as evolution, genetic engineering, and cosmology. All of which are controversial in the non-scientific community. It should come as no surprise that the NSF will award educational and research grants without regard to public controversy but rather the need for scientific research and education which is the way it should be.

Whenever scientific facts can not be reconciled with personal beliefs, political philosophies, and economic reality then we deny or ignore the facts. We did it with works of Galileo, Copernicus, Darwin, and a host of others. So many will do the same with Global Warming but the facts will remain.

This is quite in line with the mission of the NSF. The NSF supports a wide variety of educational and informational projects for the general public. You apparently have no idea what the NSF does.

The Great Immensity explores the themes of climate change, deforestation and extinction in two distinct locations: Barro Colorado Island (BCI) in the Panama Canal and the city of Churchill in arctic Canada. Both of these extraordinary places have natural ecosystems already deeply affected by the shift in climate, centers of scientific research, and relationships to global shipping: the Panama Canal and the Port of Churchill. The play takes its name from an enormous Chinese Panamax ship that the authors observed crossing the Panama Canal.

Drawing on interviews with individuals such as botanists, paleontologists, climatologists, indigenous community leaders, Polar Bear Tour guides, and trappers, The Great Immensity gives voice to real people whose stories make the reality of present crisis tangible and viscerally felt, inspiring us all to make the profound changes this moment demands.

The Civilians / The Great Immensity
US NSF - Now Showing: Film, TV, Museums & More

Here, idiot: "to promote the progress of science; to advance the national health, prosperity, and welfare; to secure the national defense…"

What we do

As described in our strategic plan, NSF is the only federal agency whose mission includes support for all fields of fundamental science and engineering, except for medical sciences. We are tasked with keeping the United States at the leading edge of discovery in areas from astronomy to geology to zoology. So, in addition to funding research in the traditional academic areas, the agency also supports "high-risk, high pay-off" ideas, novel collaborations and numerous projects that may seem like science fiction today, but which the public will take for granted tomorrow. And in every case, we ensure that research is fully integrated with education so that today's revolutionary work will also be training tomorrow's top scientists and engineers.

How we work

NSF's task of identifying and funding work at the frontiers of science and engineering is not a "top-down" process. NSF operates from the "bottom up,"
keeping close track of research around the United States and the world, maintaining constant contact with the research community to identify ever-moving horizons of inquiry, monitoring which areas are most likely to result in spectacular progress and choosing the most promising people to conduct the research.

NSF
[Emphasis added] There is nothing remotely related to fundamental science and engineering with the theater. And, there is nothing "bottom up" about this theater funding.

You post links to educational subject matter and think that is comparable to this advocacy theater piece.

Idiot.
The purpose of this presentation is to educate the public in what has been accepted by the vast majority of the scientists throughout the world as scientific fact. The NSF has launched numerous educational presentations which includes such topics as evolution, genetic engineering, and cosmology. All of which are controversial in the non-scientific community. It should come as no surprise that the NSF will award educational and research grants without regard to public controversy but rather the need for scientific research and education which is the way it should be.

Whenever scientific facts can not be reconciled with personal beliefs, political philosophies, and economic reality then we deny or ignore the facts. We did it with works of Galileo, Copernicus, Darwin, and a host of others. So many will do the same with Global Warming but the facts will remain.
Let us know when you can recognize the difference between education and advocacy.

Thanks.

Now, apparently the proposer did veil this in an informal education experiment, but it is still an advocacy piece rather than an awareness piece.

What we do

How we work

NSF

Idiot.

Let us know when you can recognize the difference between education and advocacy.

Thanks.

Now, apparently the proposer did veil this in an informal education experiment, but it is still an advocacy piece rather than an awareness piece.
Of course the NSF is an advocate for Global Climate Change, just as they are an advocate for Evolution, Relativity, and Cosmology. You seem to think that there is some big controversy about the existence of global climate change in the scientific community and the NSF is taking sides on the issue. This simply isn't so. The controversy exists in right wing political groups, business interest, and various segments of the general public.

Science can tells us what global climate change is doing to the earth and how it is doing it, but it can't tell us how we should go about solving the problem. That's a political and economic decision. And there lies the controversy. It is irrational to deny or ignore scientific evidence of a problem because you don't like the possible solutions. Denying the existence of global climate change is akin to denying cancer because you don't want to face the possible outcomes.

The NSF is just funding a presentation of scientific evidence in a form we can all understand.

Thanks.

Of course the NSF is an advocate for Global Climate Change, just as they are an advocate for Evolution, Relativity, and Cosmology. You seem to think that there is some big controversy about the existence of global climate change in the scientific community and the NSF is taking sides on the issue. This simply isn't so. The controversy exists in right wing political groups, business interest, and various segments of the general public.

Science can tells us what global climate change is doing to the earth and how it is doing it, but it can't tell us how we should go about solving the problem. That's a political and economic decision. And there lies the controversy. It is irrational to deny or ignore scientific evidence of a problem because you don't like the possible solutions. Denying the existence of global climate change is akin to denying cancer because you don't want to face the possible outcomes.

The NSF is just funding a presentation of scientific evidence in a form we can all understand.

But science is not what Si is about. She sees the world through the a political lense.

Thanks.

But science is not what Si is about. She sees the world through the a political lense.

that's the most ironic post I've seen in a long, long time.

Thanks.

You obviously know little about the NSF.

The National Science Foundation has awarded a $700,000 grant to the Civilians, a New York theater company, to finance the production of a show about climate change. “The Great Immensity,” with a book by Steven Cosson (“This Beautiful City”) and music and lyrics by Michael Friedman (“Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson”), tells the story of Polly, a photojournalist who disappears while working in the rain forests of Panama. The grant is a rare gift to an arts organization from the foundation, a federal agency that pays for science, engineering and mathematics research and education. The company says it plans to spend the money on the development and evaluation of the show, as well as on a tour and educational programs, including post-show panel discussions with experts in related scientific fields. No performance dates have been announced.

A rare gift to the arts? And where is that gift coming from?

I wonder if any of these "generous" NSF people are the same employees who get off on porn during work hours. Hmm. Will the play have nudity? :doubt:

(mods - wasn't sure which sub forum to post this in) :confused:

threads merged- del

Forum List

Back