70% of all Lawyers in the World are in the USA

I remember defending another attorney in a civil suit which sought damages for his refusal to take a case. (yes, you read that right). He told the person she had no legitimate claim. She didn't like that, so spent the next two years suing him. It took three motions to dismiss to finally get a judge to dismiss a pro se's case.

I remember the guy's junior associate practically banging his head against the wall in frustration after one court appearance.

I always knew when someone was a nutter when they walked into my office saying the words "I know my rights".

They never did...

Gotta question about this. Example...

When someone sues you over something that is essentially bullshit, you obviously have to defend yourself. To do this normally you hire a lawyer. This costs money. When the case is over and you win, you have to pay your lawyer. So you end up out of pocket for basically having to defend yourself for having done nothing. Right? Or can you get the plaintiff to pay your costs?

Now you get the lawyer answer, it depends. Typically you pay yours, but the facts of the case and how it plays out can change that and the judge could order the plaintiff to pay fees.

Now in Britain, in tort cases the rule is that if you lose, you have to pay both attorney fees. This has the effect of limiting the number of tort cases. Here, the plaintiff's bar is too powerful for any adoption of the British Rule.

I like the principle of public funding to defend nuisance cases, but it does open Pandora's box. Who determines what is a nuisance? Plus in Britain there are the most ridiculous examples of people using public funding to sue where the case clearly has no merit.

Our tort laws are a lot more punitive than yours in the respect you mention, for better or worse. Our libel laws are pretty rabid too.

I keep saying "your" laws when I mean "U.S." laws. Gotta get used to the fact that I'm living here again. I've been back for nearly a year now. Duh!

Fortunately the U.S. legal system is a delight I have yet to experience personally. Although come to think of it so is the British one! :lol:

Nearly got dragged into one of my brother's divorces a few years back, which would have been really nasty. Fortunately it was handled in a Swiss court.

I'm with you Jillian. He's in a whacko place. It's my hope that all lawyers will summarily turn their back on any case remotely like that.

I'm on tinfoil hat alert with this one. I haven't seen it yet, but it won't surprise me when I do.

I remember defending another attorney in a civil suit which sought damages for his refusal to take a case. (yes, you read that right). He told the person she had no legitimate claim. She didn't like that, so spent the next two years suing him. It took three motions to dismiss to finally get a judge to dismiss a pro se's case.

I remember the guy's junior associate practically banging his head against the wall in frustration after one court appearance.

I always knew when someone was a nutter when they walked into my office saying the words "I know my rights".

They never did...

We used to say that the people walking in the door were already more litigious than the average person because they were in your office to sue someone.

That's a nightmare. Something similar happened to me, on a much smaller scale, that helped me decide that law is a bad job. I had a secretary that was recently out of the Army. She was stationed in Korea and ended up pregnant from a married soldier over there. He was initially cooperative, but once his wife got her hands on him, became uncooperative about paying support etc.

He adopted the position that when the state made him do it, he would do it and not before. Since he was stationed in another state, this would take away. She asked if I would write a letter to help speed things up. Since I had been in the Army, I knew exactly the pressure points to hit. The Brigade CSM got a letter, as did the Division G-1 asking that they have him cooperate in efforts to determine paternity.

As expected, it got immediate results. However, he didn't like it so he file a bar complaint against me. I had to respond to the complaint and write a justification for my actions. The bar ended up ripping him up one side and down another. But, just having to respond was such a pain in the ass.

There are no Righteous Lawyers anywhere
except Harrison Ford in the movie Regarding Henry.

They are DIRT.

Lawyers are needed by 90% of Americans
that have done something wrong like kill two people - see OJ.

The only reason that I had a need for a Lawyer
was because I married a Whore then divorced her.

No one has ever felt sorry for me like they did her.
Thou Cowards of American successfully killed 58,000 plus
in Vietnam and one of those casualties could have been me.

Burbank Bob this week

A society with too few lawyers will suffer. A society with too many lawyers will also suffer. I think it's safe to say which side the U.S. is on.

I actually DON'T think it's a sign of a healthy society that we have to have rules upon rules for every little thing and lawyers ready to sue at the drop of a hat. A healthy society doesn't need to be regulated down to the last jot and tittle. It works naturally on its own because people get along better.

Reminds me of a quote that I can't remember who said. (Paraphrased) "If man were naturally good and perfect we would not need government at all, the fact that we do is a testament to man's evil"

America has way too many lawyers.

I remember a study that came out about 20 years ago which estimated that if you barred enrollment in law schools across the country for just one year, GDP would eventually rise by an additional 0.25%-0.5%.

America is a funny place sometimes. I've been to nearly two dozen countries, most of them in the developed world, and there is no place I know of that is so obsessed with rules and arguing about rules.

Lawyer shows are all over the TV in America but barely make a blip anywhere else in the world.

Last edited:
A small business owner was giving a speech on the trials and tribulations of running a shop in today's society. He summarised by simply saying "All lawyers are assholes"

At that, a man in the back of the room stood up and yelled "Hey! I resent that remark!"

The speaker asked "Are you a lawyer?"

"No," said the man in the back, "I'm an asshole."

The US is one of very few industrialized nations on the planet that does not have a "loser pays" rule. Nearly everyone else says that if you sue and lose, you pay the defense legal fees.

A small business owner was giving a speech on the trials and tribulations of running a shop in today's society. He summarised by simply saying "All lawyers are assholes"

At that, a man in the back of the room stood up and yelled "Hey! I resent that remark!"

The speaker asked "Are you a lawyer?"

"No," said the man in the back, "I'm an asshole."

http://www.usmessageboard.com/law-a...n-the-world-are-in-the-usa-2.html#post1241169

I guess it changed in the telling by the time it got to me.

Who would agree with me on this:

The Legal System - Judge / Lawyers are a Fraternity System.
Where they help each other to be gainfully employed.

I refer to a Frat System as "A Bunch of Drunkin Idiots"

As most Fraternity systems are in Colleges
with 18 to 22 year old men and women.

The Legal System needs to be eliminated
and if you commit a big crime you get executed.
Steal $10,000 executed.
Kill someone executed.
Harm a VET (like myself) get executed.

Baltimore Bob

Last edited:
Who would agree with me on this:

The Legal System - Judge / Lawyers are a Fraternity System.
Where they help each other to be gainfully employed.

I refer to a Frat System as "A Bunch of Drunkin Idiots"

As most Fraternity systems are in Colleges
with 18 to 22 year old men and women.

The Legal System needs to be eliminated
and if you commit a big crime you get executed.
Steal $10,000 executed.
Kill someone executed.
Harm a VET (like myself) get executed.

Baltimore Bob

No on almost everything.

Quote: No on almost everything.

Here's a guy that when God said "Do you want Brains"
He thought God said "Do you want Trains"
and Said "He didn't want any".

Baltimore Bob

Quote: No on almost everything.

Here's a guy that when God said "Do you want Brains"
He thought God said "Do you want Trains"
and Said "He didn't want any".

Baltimore Bob

And here's one that when God asked "Do you want a sense of humor", thought God said "Do you want a tumor".

Quote: And here's one that when God asked
"Do you want a sense of humor", thought God said "Do you want a tumor".

That was lame.
Try again.
Baltimore Bob

Who belives that Judges help their fellow Lawyers
to be gainfully employed.

I went numerous times in Family Court
representing myself.

If the Judge was an Honest Person
when all Lawyers including him are Criminals.
He would for the record stated
"Bob you will lose today
because you didn't pay a Lawyer to represent you".

But since all Lawyers are COWARDS.
He couldn't make that TRUE comment.

My ex-wife just went the last time without a lawyer
and the Judge I know felt Sorry for her.
You can't believe the CRAP that came out of his mouth.

Criminals sometimes our the people that actually earn a Great living.
He makes maybe $200,000 year.

It's too bad that a disease would just come forward
that would only attack Lawyers.
I'd call it the Greatest Disease in the
History of the World.

Baltimore Bob

S'matter? Lawyers told you that you have no case?

Or they wouldn't work for you for free?

Yesterday a right winger called up Ed Schultz to say that lawyers and malpractice are the real problem with healthcare, and I love Ed's reply.

He said, "this talking point is just what people who don't want healthcare reform bring up to distract us. Malpractice lawsuits only make up 1/2 of 1% of the overall costs of healthcare."

1/2 of one percent.

Oh, and if we give single payer/universal healthcare, companies will no longer need to buy workman's comp insurance. That will make employers happy.

S'matter? Lawyers told you that you have no case?

Or they wouldn't work for you for free?

Yesterday a right winger called up Ed Schultz to say that lawyers and malpractice are the real problem with healthcare, and I love Ed's reply.

He said, "this talking point is just what people who don't want healthcare reform bring up to distract us. Malpractice lawsuits only make up 1/2 of 1% of the overall costs of healthcare."

1/2 of one percent.

Oh, and if we give single payer/universal healthcare, companies will no longer need to buy workman's comp insurance. That will make employers happy.

If what you say about Single payer/universal healthcare is true in relation to W/C then this will be the single most reason it will not happen as states run most comp and will not give up this cash cow.

Believe it..

So how does a Country like China get by
with much less then 30% of all the other lawyers in the World.
China 3,000,000,000 people.
America 300,000,000 people.
Ten times more people in China.

So let's say they got 5% of all lawyers.
So is that 1 lawyer per 1,000,000 people
vs America 1 lawyer per 1,000 people ?

Well China is not a Democracy.
Is America a Democracy ?

I say we could come up with another system.
Except for Divorce only Bad People need Lawyers.
If I never got married
I would have never ever needed a lawyer
because I'm a GOOD person.
I'm a Person of Courage.
Only Cowards have ever hurt me.
One Coward is that Judge in Family Court.

Who should get more Respect in Life ?
Me a VET with Courage
That Coward Non-Vet Judge

Easy answer if you have Courage to admit it.

Baltimore Bob

There are no Righteous Lawyers anywhere
except Harrison Ford in the movie Regarding Henry.

They are DIRT.

Lawyers are needed by 90% of Americans
that have done something wrong like kill two people - see OJ.

The only reason that I had a need for a Lawyer
was because I married a Whore then divorced her.

No one has ever felt sorry for me like they did her.
Thou Cowards of American successfully killed 58,000 plus
in Vietnam and one of those casualties could have been me.

Burbank Bob this week

it always get back to Cowards and Vietnam Bob....if you were talking about a pile of shit would the shit would be called a coward and be blamed for your so called Vietnam tour....just wonderin....

No shit is a pece of shit just like the 2 presidents we had then
LBJ and Nixon were Pieces of Shit.

The Non-Vets are responsible for the deaths of 58,000 plus
during the Vietnam years unless you protested the Vietnam war.

Anyone that didn't protest Vietnam
were Pieces of shit.

Would you have liked to die for this country at age 20 ?
I don't think so.

Baltimore Bob

Forum List

Back