'70 Hemi Cuda with 81 original miles up for auction

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
I remember back in '77, I could have bought a '71 Cuda with a 390 hp 440 mag and a six-pack on it for $1800.00. It was factory, and would be worth a whole lot of money today. The guy wouldn't take $1500.00 cash for it, so I walked away. Arghhhhhhh !!!

1970 Plymouth Hemi Cuda With Just 81 Miles Races To Auction

The Plymouth Hemi Cuda signified the end of an era. It was the last of the fire-breathing monsters, born as the curtain fell over a decade of American muscle and big block V-8s –– a glorious time we won’t ever get back.

Only for one buyer at Mecum Auctions’ sale in Indianapolis May 12-17, that era can be re-lived in the form of this pristine 1970 Hemi Cuda, boasting just 81 original miles. It is believed to be the lowest-mileage example in existence; a time-capsule back to that treasured period of American motoring.

The story began in June of 1970. Bill Reardon was 62 years old and had finally saved up enough cash to buy the car of his dreams. He optioned his Cuda in Tor Red paint with a black interior, a Torqueflite automatic transmission, Shaker hood and matching red wheels.

Soon after delivery, Reardon did what many muscle car lovers from that period would do –– took it to the drag strip. He modified the machine, removing the intake and carburetors as well as the exhaust system. Not forgotten were the front shocks and those red wheels, all being replaced by drag racing-specific performance parts. The original components were placed in safe storage while Reardon competed in his first season on the strip. In total, Reardon made around 30 passes that year, often running in the high 10-second range.

I remember back in '77, I could have bought a '71 Cuda with a 390 hp 440 mag and a six-pack on it for $1800.00. It was factory, and would be worth a whole lot of money today. The guy wouldn't take $1500.00 cash for it, so I walked away. Arghhhhhhh !!!

The Plymouth Hemi Cuda signified the end of an era. It was the last of the fire-breathing monsters, born as the curtain fell over a decade of American muscle and big block V-8s –– a glorious time we won’t ever get back.

Only for one buyer at Mecum Auctions’ sale in Indianapolis May 12-17, that era can be re-lived in the form of this pristine 1970 Hemi Cuda, boasting just 81 original miles. It is believed to be the lowest-mileage example in existence; a time-capsule back to that treasured period of American motoring.

The story began in June of 1970. Bill Reardon was 62 years old and had finally saved up enough cash to buy the car of his dreams. He optioned his Cuda in Tor Red paint with a black interior, a Torqueflite automatic transmission, Shaker hood and matching red wheels.

Soon after delivery, Reardon did what many muscle car lovers from that period would do –– took it to the drag strip. He modified the machine, removing the intake and carburetors as well as the exhaust system. Not forgotten were the front shocks and those red wheels, all being replaced by drag racing-specific performance parts. The original components were placed in safe storage while Reardon competed in his first season on the strip. In total, Reardon made around 30 passes that year, often running in the high 10-second range.

If it makes you feel better, I walked away from a '57 smoke grey Cadillac convertible in cherry condition in 1971 because I didn't think it would get good mileage.

I bought a 1973 Challenger in 1978. 340 4-speed with some nice engine improvements. Damn that car was fast....but sold it to pay for college. Had two 440 Chargers too...but chose not to buy a buddy's 1966 396 4-speed Corvette...that was dumb.

Challenger looked just like this one:
1973_dodge_challenger-pic-2343011642054250721.jpeg

I bought a 1973 Challenger in 1978. 340 4-speed with some nice engine improvements. Damn that car was fast....but sold it to pay for college. Had two 440 Chargers too...but chose not to buy a buddy's 1966 396 4-speed Corvette...that was dumb.

Challenger looked just like this one:View attachment 40276

Sweet.

In '74 I bought a '69 Charger R/T 440 Mag for $600.00, all original, even a Dana 60 rearend with a 4 speed.
Two years later I sold it for $800.00.
I bragged to all my friends how I really made out on that deal !
God what I'd give to have that car back !

I had a friend who was trying to decide between a used Ferrari 250, or a nice shiny new 1970 Camaro. He went for the American iron and had he kept it in super duper shape would be worth a couple of hundred grand. However, that very Ferrari sold at auction, several years ago, for over 3 million!

b57.gif

Sweet.

In '74 I bought a '69 Charger R/T 440 Mag for $600.00, all original, even a Dana 60 rearend with a 4 speed.
My first car was a '68 Charger 440 auto...I was 16 and it cost me $550. Bought another '68 Charger 440 auto a couple years later for $500 from original owner that was cherry. Looked like this one...wish I had kept it. Great car.
002.jpg

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 148

Sweet.

My first car was a '68 Charger 440 auto...I was 16 and it cost me $550. Bought another '68 Charger 440 auto a couple years later for $500 from original owner that was cherry. Looked like this one...wish I had kept it. Great car.
View attachment 40299

Damn, that's quite the first car !

I sold my 1970 dodge 340 mag dart sport swinger for 800 bucks in 1979,my 1970 1/2 camaro ss for 1500 that same year,was I stupid or what!!

Good Lord, ARE YOU ME!

In 1977 I bought a 71 with 36,000 miles on it for $1,200 plus my 68 galaxy 500.

Sassy Grass Green, with a beautiful white and black interior. Equipped just like you described. Drove it for 3 years then sold it for $1,800. Thought I was a freaking financial genius.

DAMN I MISS THAT CAR!

My uncle regrets three things about what he did when he left the Army.

He sold his Matchless 600. :whip:
He kept his Royal Enfield Bullet 500. :lame2: (The least-reliable bike he had ever seen.)
He sold his 1969 Mustang.:nono: It was a Boss 429.:banghead::banghead:

My uncle regrets three things about what he did when he left the Army.

He sold his Matchless 600. :whip:
He kept his Royal Enfield Bullet 500. :lame2: (The least-reliable bike he had ever seen.)
He sold his 1969 Mustang.:nono: It was a Boss 429.:banghead::banghead:

Seriously, a true factory Boss 429 ? :eek-52:

Yep...a legit Boss '9 car, with Kar Kraft data plate on it. Wimbledon White, early production with the early Boss 429 engine (which had magnesium valve covers and the full NASCAR bottom end). While he had it (not a stock engine...it wouldn't run on anything less than Cam 2 or avgas), it ran low 11's with 4.30 gears, and with taller gears, was still pulling at north of 150MPH (3.00 axle gears, 6000RPM).

Bought my 65 Shelby GT350 for $5K in 1988. Love that car, it's obviously worth shit load now, but I'll never sell it.

Could have bought TWO 1962 Belair rolling chassis for $300 right after that and didn't.

New Topics

Forum List

Back