7 Ways To Recession-Proof Your Life

Gunny

Gold Member
Dec 27, 2004
The Republic of Texas
Tuesday November 18, 11:09 pm ET
Amy Fontinelle

Are you worried about how a recession might affect you? You can put your fears to rest because there are many everyday habits the average person can implement to ease the sting of a recession, or even make it so its effects aren't felt at all. In this article, we'll discuss seven ways to do just that.
Yahoo! Personal Finance

i would add to that, stocking up on some food.....rice, beans, canned goods while you have jobs.

this can come in handy if one loses a job or the hardtimes hit.

For years I have been telling people to move to the farm belt and buy some farm land. Few people have done as I suggested, because they could not take their jobs with them.

Hummmmmm??????? What to do about that?

For years I have been telling people to move to the farm belt and buy some farm land. Few people have done as I suggested, because they could not take their jobs with them.

Hummmmmm??????? What to do about that?

There's no work in the farm belt thanks to intrusive government policies which have decimated our ability to harvest our own natural resources and sell our own land.

Good luck finding a piece of property, and finding a way to support yourself out here. You gotta pay taxes, dude. And if you do manage to get a piece of property, chances are you can't put a house or any permanent structure on it. That's why I have clients who live in barns and sheds...once the original pioneer dwellings fall apart, the government won't allow them to build another home.

But if you wanna be all starry-eyed about living in the backwoods, have at. I live here. It's not for cityfolk, believe me. They're clueless.

i would add to that, stocking up on some food.....rice, beans, canned goods while you have jobs.

this can come in handy if one loses a job or the hardtimes hit.

And you will lose weight if you're used to eating out or eating processed food.

Rice and beans together make a complete protein, folks. Never forget that when you're poor and have $5 to feed your family.

And believe me, they WILL eat it if it's the only thing going.

And you will lose weight if you're used to eating out or eating processed food.

Rice and beans together make a complete protein, folks. Never forget that when you're poor and have $5 to feed your family.

And believe me, they WILL eat it if it's the only thing going.

I agree. stock up on food in good times and it will be there in bad times. This past year was the first time I had a garden, did a miserable job, hopefully I'll do better this next year. Need to order some heritage seeds.

As for money...we have our retirement savings but other than that, nothing. We're not in debt though and I can always get a job if I need one, though, truth to tell it took me more than a year to find one last time and it only lasted a year and a half before it went to India.

I'm ashamed of our government. They care nothing for us citizens. Every other government in the world protects their workers, but not ours. Here it's every man/corporation for himself.

It's supposed to be every man for himself. It's America. We are the land of the free, after all. It's not the government's place to provide us with income.

Gardens are difficult...I've never been able to manage one. I've grown a few vegetable producing plants a few times....but people who think they can just move to any ol' patch of dirt and create a garden have got a few hunger winters ahead of them.

It's actually easier and probably just as cheap to buy in bulk from someone who DOES garden, or buy in bulk from the stores when produce is available and cheap. Then can. Buy loads of tomatoes when they're cheap..and can them. Go to an orchard and buy apples and peaches and make applesauce and peaches in heavy syrup and can them.

I mean to do it every year, lol......we usually did it when I was young. Pickles and tomatoes and fruit....I've had homecanned meat which was really good, too...and mincemeat made with venison that was home canned. That was the best stuff I've ever eaten.

These are the things that you're glad to have on hand when you're snowed in for two weeks and can't make it to the store. Or when you have screwed up your budget and can't make it to the store for three....

It's supposed to be every man for himself. It's America. We are the land of the free, after all. It's not the government's place to provide us with income.

Gardens are difficult...I've never been able to manage one. I've grown a few vegetable producing plants a few times....but people who think they can just move to any ol' patch of dirt and create a garden have got a few hunger winters ahead of them.

It's actually easier and probably just as cheap to buy in bulk from someone who DOES garden, or buy in bulk from the stores when produce is available and cheap. Then can. Buy loads of tomatoes when they're cheap..and can them. Go to an orchard and buy apples and peaches and make applesauce and peaches in heavy syrup and can them.

I mean to do it every year, lol......we usually did it when I was young. Pickles and tomatoes and fruit....I've had homecanned meat which was really good, too...and mincemeat made with venison that was home canned. That was the best stuff I've ever eaten.

These are the things that you're glad to have on hand when you're snowed in for two weeks and can't make it to the store. Or when you have screwed up your budget and can't make it to the store for three....

Our government is suppose to provide for the welfare of our people. You can't do that by shipping our jobs overseas and bringing in immigrants to take whatever jobs are left.
We take in more legal immigrants than all other countries in the world combined. Then there are the illegals....how are we suppose to compete? The truth is that since the 70's Americans have limited their birth rate to less than replacement value. If we truly had "free trade" and "capitalism", the lowest paid workers in our country would be pretty much getting whatever pay they demanded right now, and jobs would be plentiful.

There's no work in the farm belt thanks to intrusive government policies which have decimated our ability to harvest our own natural resources and sell our own land.

Good luck finding a piece of property, and finding a way to support yourself out here. You gotta pay taxes, dude. And if you do manage to get a piece of property, chances are you can't put a house or any permanent structure on it. That's why I have clients who live in barns and sheds...once the original pioneer dwellings fall apart, the government won't allow them to build another home.

But if you wanna be all starry-eyed about living in the backwoods, have at. I live here. It's not for cityfolk, believe me. They're clueless.

That's how I started truckin'. Couldn't find a job that paid anything.

Luckily enough, I enjoy my job.

Forum List

Back