7 Reasons Americans Are So Complacent About Our Country's Impending Bankruptcy

1) They're being misled by people with bad motives: 2) They think it's far off in the future: 3) Crisis fatigue is rampant: 4) It's too confusing to comprehend: 5) It's painful to stop and easy to continue: 6) We still seem to be a rich country: and

7) They don't see how it will affect them:

Most Americans don't have the slightest clue how a default would change their lives for the worse. They don't understand that it would lead to another Depression, their life savings could become worthless almost overnight, their taxes would skyrocket, their standard of living would drastically decrease, Medicare and Social Security checks could stop, and we could have widespread disorder. In Greece, some government workers haven't been paid in months, government road projects are being abandoned, healthy businesses can't get credit, and medicine is in short supply. Unless something changes, Americans won't have to imagine what that will be like because we'll be living it soon enough.

Makes fucking sense to me!!

I'll give you one reason: Less than half, I'd be willing to bet less than a quarter, of the electorate in this country do not have a clue about economics. It's literally a foreign language to most people.

I'll go one further.

Loads of folks in this country don't follow politics. Hell they don't even watch the news They haven't got a fucking clue whats going on in the USA or anywhere else for that matter.

As long as their little world rolls along they could care about anything else.

They have no concept of the trouble this country is in.

I always wondered and just thought simple mathematics was boring to most people. Or its easy to deny how much sicker the government gets. Idk all the above it doesn't apply to me.

Last edited:
I'll give an example. A few of years back i was buying up lots of gold coins, junk silver, etc... A co-worker happened to see some information on my desk regarding recent purchases (these happened to be mine stocks, not physical holding receipts) and was inquiring why I was buying gold. He went on to actually giggle a bit, saying that "your money is already backed by gold." Mind you, this individual is not a spring chicken. He just happens to be completely ignorant regarding monetary policy in the USA.

Until I informed him, he actually believed that our money was backed by gold. He was stunned when I infomred him our currency is fiat, albiet the reserve of the world... This type of thinking is not uncommon, abnormal or otherwise. There are millions of americans out there that have absolutely no clue about currency, money, and monetary policy.

I'll give an example. A few of years back i was buying up lots of gold coins, junk silver, etc... A co-worker happened to see some information on my desk regarding recent purchases (these happened to be mine stocks, not physical holding receipts) and was inquiring why I was buying gold. He went on to actually giggle a bit, saying that "your money is already backed by gold." Mind you, this individual is not a spring chicken. He just happens to be completely ignorant regarding monetary policy in the USA.

Until I informed him, he actually believed that our money was backed by gold. He was stunned when I infomred him our currency is fiat, albiet the reserve of the world... This type of thinking is not uncommon, abnormal or otherwise. There are millions of americans out there that have absolutely no clue about currency, money, and monetary policy.

I think there are a couple HUNDRED million of them, unfortunately...

The real reason is, most people think we can fix the problem by making sacrifices, but it's the other guy they think has to make those sacrifices.

The real reason is, most people think we can fix the problem by making sacrifices, but it's the other guy they think has to make those sacrifices.

Right. Like the "tax the rich more" crowd. Taxing them into oblivion wouldn't even begin to cover the interest on the debt for an entire year. But I'll bet you're in that crowd of "thinkers".

amirite??1?!?!

John Hawkins is a professional blogger who runs Right Wing News

gee what a surprize you all just take this guys words as gospell.

Dear idiots hes a partissn hack not a finacial genious

ONE REASON why people Americans Are So Complacent About Our Country's Impending Bankruptcy:

1) They have shit for brains.

The f-ing Republicans are as bad as the Democrats. Wars aren't free (nor are our wars justified).

anyone who would post his shit as if hes some great economic mind is also a partisan idiot

Forum List

Back