7% of U.S. Scientists Don't Know their Political Affilation

Article 15

Dr. House slayer
Jul 4, 2008
It is no secret that the ranks of scientists and engineers in the United States include dismal numbers of Hispanics and African-Americans, but few have remarked about another significantly underrepresented group: Republicans.

No, this is not the punch line of a joke. A Pew Research Center Poll from July 2009 showed that only around 6 percent of U.S. scientists are Republicans; 55 percent are Democrats, 32 percent are independent, and the rest "don't know" their affiliation.

This immense imbalance has political consequences. When President Obama appears Wednesday on Discovery Channel's Mythbusters (9 p.m. ET), he will be there not just to encourage youngsters to do their science homework but also to reinforce the idea that Democrats are the party of science and rationality. And why not? Most scientists are already on his side. Imagine if George W. Bush had tried such a stunt—every major newspaper in the country would have run an op-ed piece by some Nobel Prize winner asking how the guy who prohibited stem-cell research and denied climate change could have the gall to appear on a program that extols the power of scientific thinking.

Most scientists in this country are Democrats. That's a problem. - By Daniel Sarewitz - Slate Magazine

I was shocked! Shocked, I say, to learn this!

And who gives scientists their funding? Usually Democrats. That is why most identify with the Demos.

It is really hard to be a scientist and a Republican, research grants for how Jesus rode on a Brontosaurs’' back are hard to come by in the world of science.

Even Obama's stimulus fun ride did not cover that one.

And who gives scientists their funding? Usually Democrats. That is why most identify with the Demos.
I agree. It's a damn shame. Had they not gotten away with it your grandparents probably would have died from smallpox and your ignorant ass wouldn't be stealing precious oxygen.
You're no American.
You are 100% murkin.

Edward Jenner was not a Republican, Democrat or American.

And everyone knows Louis Pasture was a Frog.

And Edward Koch was a Prussian Kraut.

Since Walter Reed was an Army officer back in the days of William McKinley, we might infer he was Republican. I don't have his voting records.

Jonas Salk was American. Also Jewish. We might infer he was a Democrat, but the that would still be a WAG.

And your point?

I agree. It's a damn shame. Had they not gotten away with it your grandparents probably would have died from smallpox and your ignorant ass wouldn't be stealing precious oxygen.
You're no American.
You are 100% murkin.

and your a 100% asshole .....and a fucking coward on top of that....how much horse shit did you pick up today?...

It is no secret that the ranks of scientists and engineers in the United States include dismal numbers of Hispanics and African-Americans, but few have remarked about another significantly underrepresented group: Republicans.

No, this is not the punch line of a joke. A Pew Research Center Poll from July 2009 showed that only around 6 percent of U.S. scientists are Republicans; 55 percent are Democrats, 32 percent are independent, and the rest "don't know" their affiliation.

This immense imbalance has political consequences. When President Obama appears Wednesday on Discovery Channel's Mythbusters (9 p.m. ET), he will be there not just to encourage youngsters to do their science homework but also to reinforce the idea that Democrats are the party of science and rationality. And why not? Most scientists are already on his side. Imagine if George W. Bush had tried such a stunt—every major newspaper in the country would have run an op-ed piece by some Nobel Prize winner asking how the guy who prohibited stem-cell research and denied climate change could have the gall to appear on a program that extols the power of scientific thinking.

Most scientists in this country are Democrats. That's a problem. - By Daniel Sarewitz - Slate Magazine

I was shocked! Shocked, I say, to learn this!

sorry Artie ....Dean has already run this into the ground....

For those parading this "fact" around and using it as "proof" of the correctness of the scientists involved:

Would you trust the conclusions of a group of economists that were only 6% Democrat?

For those parading this "fact" around and using it as "proof" of the correctness of the scientists involved:

Would you trust the conclusions of a group of economists that were only 6% Democrat?

I'd trust a six foot tall white rabbit before anything you posted, daveman.
Your refusal to answer the question tells me all I need to know.

Forum List

Back