7 inmates killed in 'mass casualty incident' at SC maximum security prison

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Seven inmates were killed during fights that lasted more than seven hours at a South Carolina prison Sunday night and into Monday morning, according to officials.

At least six emergency agencies responded to the "mass casualty incident" at Lee Correctional Institution in Lee County that resulted in the seven inmate deaths and 17 other inmates requiring medical attention, the S.C. Department of Corrections announced early Monday morning.

The fight, which spanned three dorms, was likely gang related, and spawned from a disagreement over territory, contraband and cellphones, SC Department of Corrections Director Brian Stirling said.

They have a video and everything.

I'd like to know what type of security a maximum security prison has, that allows inmates to take over portions of the prison for hours at a time.

I'd also like to know what type of rules of engagement the guards use to keep or retake control, that they had so much trouble.

At the VERY least it sounds like the dorms are too large, if the prisoners can muster that much strength.

I'd like to know what type of security a maximum security prison has, that allows inmates to take over portions of the prison for hours at a time.

I'd also like to know what type of rules of engagement the guards use to keep or retake control, that they had so much trouble.

At the VERY least it sounds like the dorms are too large, if the prisoners can muster that much strength.
It's a simple ratio, guards:inmates. The inmates have sheer numbers and can take over if they wish. They just cannot take over permanently.

It's a simple ratio, guards:inmates. The inmates have sheer numbers and can take over if they wish. They just cannot take over permanently.

Sounds like poor design.

If the inmates are not safe from random murder from their fellow inmates, we have a problem with cruel and unusual punishment.

Sounds like poor design.

If the inmates are not safe from random murder from their fellow inmates, we have a problem with cruel and unusual punishment.
The only way to prevent violence would be 23 hour lock down, one man cells and individual yard time...akin to supermax. Which is not possible given our current prison population of 1.5M (State/Fed).
Violence is inherent to the penal system. You are housing thousands of offenders per prison, many of which have life sentences from violent offenses. People are going to commit more violence.
Mass Incarceration: The Whole Pie 2017

Were any guards or employees killed or hurt? if not than I don't care.

Sounds like poor design.

You actually believe the prison owes you some kind of explanation?

It wasn't random murder, it was a gang war for the right to sell drugs, with individuals being targeted.

i wonder if a good purge is just needed ever now and then miketx

what do you think about a 3 hour riot?
Everything revolves around the policy in place. I was involved in a riot and saw some crazy things, but we got ours under control within 30 minutes. CS gas bombs and guns were used inside the 50 man dorm and outside. Then one by one the gasping crying sons of bitches were placed in restraints and placed in a fenced off area. The main idea in our inmates fighting policy was that none of us get hurt. That we would allow them to fight until we had enough force to control it all. As far as what the riot was about, I don't know. I do know that as far as those inmates having shanks and things of that nature is directly tied to the officers not performing proper searches and allowing for lax security. Happens all the time. Sometimes the employees help the shit get started, usually a middle aged plump female that has swallowed the line from some young well built con that she is beautiful beyond compare.

Seven inmates were killed during fights that lasted more than seven hours at a South Carolina prison Sunday night and into Monday morning, according to officials.

At least six emergency agencies responded to the "mass casualty incident" at Lee Correctional Institution in Lee County that resulted in the seven inmate deaths and 17 other inmates requiring medical attention, the S.C. Department of Corrections announced early Monday morning.

The fight, which spanned three dorms, was likely gang related, and spawned from a disagreement over territory, contraband and cellphones, SC Department of Corrections Director Brian Stirling said.

So if it was all caught on tape, then those that killed the other inmates should face the death penalty, right?

But I digress. We all know that will never happen.

So if it was all caught on tape, then those that killed the other inmates should face the death penalty, right?

But I digress. We all know that will never happen.
It depends on the situation. Was it cold blooded murder or was it a fight in a riot where it's crazy?

Last edited:

Everything revolves around the policy in place. I was involved in a riot and saw some crazy things, but we got ours under control within 30 minutes. CS gas bombs and guns were used inside the 50 man dorm and outside. Then one by one the gasping crying sons of bitches were placed in restraints and placed in a fenced off area. The main idea in our inmates fighting policy was that none of us get hurt. That we would allow them to fight until we had enough force to control it all. As far as what the riot was about, I don't know. I do know that as far as those inmates having shanks and things of that nature is directly tied to the officers not performing proper searches and allowing for lax security. Happens all the time. Sometimes the employees help the shit get started, usually a middle aged plump female that has swallowed the line from some young well built con that she is beautiful beyond compare.
Yeah, I had a buddy that worked at Solano Prison in California and he said the same thing. The guards let the prisoners go until they could control the situation. It's a numbers game in the end.
Man, he had some stories though. He tried to encourage me to start the hiring process...screw that shit.

Yeah, I had a buddy that worked at Solano Prison in California and he said the same thing. The guards let the prisoners go until they could control the situation. It's a numbers game in the end.
Man, he had some stories though. He tried to encourage me to start the hiring process...screw that shit.
I got stories. Some are unbelievable. If I had not been there and heard the stories and seen them I would not believe them.

I think they want them to kill as many as they can before controlling the situation.

It helps save $$$$.

I think they want them to kill as many as they can before controlling the situation.

It helps save $$$$.
No it doesn't. All deaths in prison have to be investigated, and the main job of corrections officers is to provide the offenders with a safe place to stay while they are locked up. The failure of providing that equals lawsuits.

I got stories. Some are unbelievable. If I had not been there and heard the stories I would not believe them.
You should start a prison stories thread. I love dark, first hand accounts. Though, I am sure my 2+ decades in the military has twisted my outlook a bit...lol!

do tell miketx i bet you would be more interesting than some of the crime podcasts
One story was one about a convict that had to be rushed to the hospital because he was going to bleed to death. We had a medical facility but they could not handle most super serious things like bleeding wounds and emergency surgeries.

I was the segregation officer where all people in fights and assaults ended up so I waited for my new guests. None showed up. So I called over to medical and asked one of the nurses I knew well what happened. I had assumed like many others that a con got stabbed. Nope. She told me that his idiot used a razor blade to slice open his dick and tried to insert a dot cut out of a domino and he cut too much. She in her own moment of dark convict humor said the convict was a Rod Stewart fan. Huh I said? yeah, he was listening to "The first cut is the deepest"! Apparently this was a thing to do among convicts as later you would see them with bb's in their dicks and actual slivers off a domino. One could only shake ones head.

start a thread in the flame zone where you are not censored much i would greatly enjoy it....i try to get my urologist to share stories too lol

Forum List

Back