$7.00 a day

There are so many variables involved in this. Where do you live? Food costs will be different from place to place. Is health a concern? I could eat a bunch of ramen and spend less than $7 a week probably, but that's not a good idea! Do you grow your own food? Do you even have space to do so? Do you know how to cook? Etc. etc.

My point isn't that people cannot feed themselves for $7 a day, just that the difficulty involved is going to vary greatly from person to person.

Don't know ware you got that from. A family of 5 in Texas gets around $700.00 a month. Not to mention the work many do on the side. It is a scam. Nothing more and needs to be means tested for disabled folks and old people. Not Illegals and dead beats . Many 99 weekers get them as well.
It varies by state, I ran the figures for a couple with an income of $9300/yr. The benefit was $280/mo. That's $3.10/meal. A long way from $7.

And just not true.
Run it yourself and see what you get. The amount depends on state, income, number in the family, and other expenses.

FNS SNAP Program Eligibility Screening Tool

It varies by state, I ran the figures for a couple with an income of $9300/yr. The benefit was $280/mo. That's $3.10/meal. A long way from $7.

And just not true.
Run it yourself and see what you get. The amount depends on state, income, number in the family, and other expenses.

Just for the hell of it...I put down the information for my daughter.
She qualifies for food assistance, and nearly all others.

She is 20 years old, unemployed, lives in an apt. and is a full time student.
She could file for all of this crap.
Only problem...my wife and I 100% support her now while she is in college.

Get the picture?
It is too easy to get assistance.

And just not true.

Just for the hell of it...I put down the information for my daughter.
She qualifies for food assistance, and nearly all others.

She is 20 years old, unemployed, lives in an apt. and is a full time student.
She could file for all of this crap.
Only problem...my wife and I 100% support her now while she is in college.

Get the picture?
It is too easy to get assistance.
I don't know if it's really that easy. Here are the requirements.

One of these must also be true:
You work at least 20 hours a week for pay
or
You get federal or state work-study money
or
You are a full-time student and a single parent caring for a child under 12
or
You are caring for a child in your household who is under age 6
or
You are caring for a child in your household between ages 6 and 11 and can’t get child care
or
You get Families First
or
You are going to school under a state program approved by DHS
or
You are going to a program under the Trade Act.

http://tennlegalaid.com/Library/Documents/1183031471.87/FSStudents906.pdf

My mom would sometimes cook up a batch of what she called "Depression food," some of which was very good as well as very inexpensive to make. Here is one example that I liked.

1 large box of brown lentils.

Six hot dogs sliced into 1/2" pieces.

1 bunch of carrots.

3 - 4 sliced onions.

1 box of Ditalini (or small elbow) macaroni.

Salt and pepper.

1-1/2 gallons water in a stock pot.

Cooking time - about one hour.

Delicious, nourishing and filling on a cold winter day.

A luxurious addition to the table is a loaf of black pumpernickel bread with a block of cream cheese and a pitcher of beer.

myself, i think we should just give away certain foods....beans, rice, milk,....you have a complete diet with beans with rice .....people need the basics to live then if you want steak you have to earn it.

My diet costs less than $7 a day.

I eat fairly well, too.

Of course I cook my own food and I do not buy a whole lot of prepared foods, either.

Home economics is a valuable set of skills to have.

A penny saved truly is a penny earned, folks.

They asked everyone to try this for a week to see how hard it is, well I did the math and we live on less than $7.00 a day for food for each person in our family.
What do you eat, just rice and beans?

No, we buy chicken, roasts, fresh vegetables, we have salad almost every night and this time of year we get lettuce from our garden. When bread is over $2.00 a loaf, I make my own for pennies. I save our left overs and make garbage soup once a week which is a favorite of many in this house. I cook up hams with bones, then boil the bones and make bean soup. I put in onions, celery and carrots....it's good. A spiral sliced ham, bought on sale can feed us for 3 meals and still provide sandwich meat. (one of those meals being the soup)

Breakfast is usually toast or oatmeal or cream of wheat, we hardly ever buy those big boxes of cereal as they are so expensive and so sugary. I don't buy instant oatmeal, I use regular and if I want instant, I run it through the blender and put it in little sandwich bags.

We get apples at Costco, oranges at Winco and I save coupons and shop sales.

Chicken is a staple and I can cook it whole..I never fry it anymore. I bake it. When I feel like it, I boil up the bones and make broth which I can use in other meals, or to make chicken soup. I almost never buy cans of soup except for mushroom soup which we use is many casseroles. I also buy tomato soup on occasion when I want something that reminds me of my childhood.

Hamburger, I make meatloaf, spaghetti, spanish rice, etc.

I make my own bisquick. It's easy and it saves a bunch of money. I do use Krustes pancake mix because I can't make pancakes from scratch that taste that good.

We also buy some quick meals, like frozen pizza and chicken tenders and we still make it with less than $7.00 a day per person. And my husband can't seem to live without pop but we still have food bills under $7.00 a day.

That´s downright un murkin :cool: You get to keep the A.

Forum List

Back