6th graders find Al Gore wrong on global warming

Little-Acorn

Gold Member
Jun 20, 2006
San Diego, CA
A sixth grade class held a "trial", in which advocates for each side presented evidence supporting their side, to a "jury". The jury voted 7-4 that global warming, if it exists, was not caused by humans.

I wonder if anyone on this board coudl present (and support) facts that would change their minds. Or have they already heard them, and decided as they did anyway?

Get ready for the "Aw, they had their minds made up beforehand even though we can't cite any evidence of it" argument from the usual fanatics.

----------------------------------

http://www.longmontfyi.com/Local-Story.asp?ID=15357

Global warming on trial
Sixth-graders decide that humans aren’t to blame

By Ben Ready
The Daily Times-Call

LONGMONT — Humans don’t cause global warming, a jury of sixth graders at Trail Ridge Middle School concluded Thursday after hearing opposing arguments from their peers.

“They’re pretty young for this kind of thinking. They did great,” paleontology teacher Ken Poppe said after the 40-minute “trial” in his classroom

With Earth’s warming accepted as a tenet, pre-teen “lawyers” and “scientists” debated whether humans have caused it.

Eleven jurors listened intently as prosecutors and defendants flashed contradictory graphs tracking global temperatures, carbon dioxide levels, polar ice cap statistics, volcanic activity and sea surface temperatures — all of which were found Wednesday in the school’s computer lab.

“The earth has warmed and cooled over many years. If it’s caused by CO2, why haven’t the charts shot up?” Poppe’s son and lead prosecutor Caleb argued during a rebuttal.

In a climax that sent half the class to its feet and forced the judge to call for order, opponent Monique Nem slapped a contradictory graph onto the prosecution’s table.

“We’ve proven you wrong! The CO2 levels have shot up,” she said.

The jury responded more warmly, however, to Caleb Poppe’s response: The graphic cited a Hawaiian source; Hawaii has volcanoes; volcanoes emit CO2.

In closing arguments, Alexia Hegy said global temperatures actually decreased in the 1960’s, while the global population rose. Humans cannot be at fault, she concluded.

With the final word, defense attorney Sarah Steed countered: “It all comes back to us, the people — not the sun, not the weather. We need to turn off lights when we don’t need them. Bikes can work. The environment can be richer.”

Seven of 11 jurors decided humans are not to blame, but everyone agreed classroom debates make for fun learning.

“It was a hard decision, because both sides made good points,” said student Samantha Roberts.

Ken Poppe said he let students choose which side of the debate to argue. Poppe personally believes global warming is cyclical and not affected by humans, while his Colorado State University student aide David Richards believes the opposite. Both, however, said they presented both sides equally to the students leading up to Thursday’s debate.

“What I think is not the issue. It’s what the students dig up and how they present the case,” Poppe said.

Only one parent questioned Poppe’s decision to hold a global warming debate. That mother expected him to present Al Gore’s global warming movie “An Inconvenient Truth” as indisputable facts, Poppe said. After he explained his neutrality in the classroom, the mom allowed her child to participate in the debate, he said.

“You don’t understand someone’s position until you can argue it to their satisfaction,” Poppe said, quoting a famous physicist. “I don’t believe in Darwinism either, but I can argue it as well as any Darwinist.”

Ben Ready can be reached at 303-684-5326, or by e-mail at [email protected].

yeah...we should let grade school kids set environmental policy.

that makes sense....

oh wait...we've effectively been doing that for nearly seven years!

The kids have applied a more valid approach to scientific inquiry than have the "Debate Is Overists".

And unrefuted by the resident slimers.

:clap2:

I need to refute the results of a grade school kangaroo court?

I think not. I will readily admit that there are some people who think that global warming is a myth...I will also admit that there are those who feel that the idea that humanity is unduly hastening it is also a myth.

I happen to think otherwise. the debate rages on.... the overwhelmingly VAST majority of the world's scientific community just so happens to side with me, however.

But you have the sixth graders at trail ridge middle school on YOUR side.

good for you.

Your right about the majority of scientists who side with you. Statistically, most professors, climatologist, astro physisists and engineers, Overwhelmingly agree that anthropogenic global warming does exist.

And the 6th grader bit, I think it was a waste of time. 6th Graders may be smarter than bush, but they really cant form opinions of there own, teachers can brainwash a child that young if your not carefull, bias teaching is suppose to be for college only, not grade-school. So when you say these children were presented the facts and decided on thier own, its hard to believe that considering you would have to understand the science behind it (we have been studying climate for more than a century), they would have to be able to work a computer without going to disney online, and you would also have to expose these children to decades of research while explaining to them why we dont have the technology to actually prove that anthropogenic global warming does or does not exist.

Nope. You can go on ignoring the facts as you've been doing throughout this thread. We don't mind, or really care what you do one way or another.

But the conclusion remains unrefuted. Global warming is unaffected by man.

Nope. You can go on ignoring the facts as you've been doing throughout this thread. We don't mind, or really care what you do one way or another.

As i said 5 minutes ago, Anthropogenic Global Warming is neither proven or unproven, how can you say you have legitimate facts that it does not exist, when scientists dont even have these facts. All we have is research and patterns that lead us to believe that AGW does exist. And within 10 years we will have the technology and you will find out that Man can effect climate change. If we can tear open a hole in the ozone, i dont see why man made C02 and green house emissions, can not trap radiation from the sun, in the atmosphere. It is not impossible, like say going backwards in time, thats impossible.

After the Chicago-area story about "parents" being "outraged" over a gay seminar being pimped by the right (turned out to be ONE right-wing nutjob activist who gets all her income from the extremist right)... I think it would behoove all of us to look at who these people are when they are in the right-wing news articles:

http://www.ifsed.org/

Kenneth Poppe, Executive Director of the International Foundation for
Science Education by Design

Their Vision?

"IFSED has a vision to reclaim science from the fallacy of
Darwinism and other terms for 'self-made life.' This vision
will be achieved by supplying science education with
cutting edge academic and research information from a
Design point of view, and promoting professional
dialogue on the failings of natural evolution."

Any surprise this right-wing nutjob is now making forays into other right-wing pseudoscience hack work?

Looks like we agree.

Yes we do, although i believe it does exist, i am not going to act like i can proove it until the research comes in. Same should go for Skeptisists. We should better fund the research of global warming and technology, to put this debate to rest.

I think not. I will readily admit that there are some people who think that global warming is a myth...I will also admit that there are those who feel that the idea that humanity is unduly hastening it is also a myth.

I happen to think otherwise. the debate rages on.... the overwhelmingly VAST majority of the world's scientific community just so happens to side with me, however.

But you have the sixth graders at trail ridge middle school on YOUR side.

good for you.

I'm sorry Main you're just plain wrong. For the umteenth, time whether you choose to believe it or not. THERE IS NO SCIENTIFIC CONSENSUS THAT MAN IS CAUSING GLOBAL WARMING. Some may call it splitting hairs, but there is major distinction that needs to be made about what the scientists do or don't agree on. What there is consensus on, is that, on avg. temp is rising. There is no consensus that humans are causing it.

I have posted this before, but in terms of hard science I strongly encourage you to read Unstoppable Global Warming. You will learn more about climate change in the first ten pages then anything you have read yet. Everyone on here keeps yalling give me facts, give me facts. Well this book is full of them. Everyone keeps asking where is the research. This book is a qulaity peice of research and really makes you wonder what Al Gore and his ilk are really up to.

Yeah right. Let's throw billions and tonnes of crap into the year every year since the beginning of the industrial revolution. No way could that affect teh environment or surface temperatures...hey Acorn, I gotta bridge to sell you in Brooklyn...

I'm sorry Main you're just plain wrong. For the umteenth, time whether you choose to believe it or not. THERE IS NO SCIENTIFIC CONSENSUS THAT MAN IS CAUSING GLOBAL WARMING. Some may call it splitting hairs, but there is major distinction that needs to be made about what the scientists do or don't agree on. What there is consensus on, is that, on avg. temp is rising. There is no consensus that humans are causing it.

I have posted this before, but in terms of hard science I strongly encourage you to read Unstoppable Global Warming. You will learn more about climate change in the first ten pages then anything you have read yet. Everyone on here keeps yalling give me facts, give me facts. Well this book is full of them. Everyone keeps asking where is the research. This book is a qulaity peice of research and really makes you wonder what Al Gore and his ilk are really up to.

So what is Gore up to?

A sixth grade class held a "trial", in which advocates for each side presented evidence supporting their side, to a "jury". The jury voted 7-4 that global warming, if it exists, was not caused by humans.

Looks like the liberal educational propaganda machine is slipping...

I find this a little baffling, how can anyone possibly argue that it isnt a good idea to live in harmony with the planet?, If we can make positive changes to do less damage to the environment why dont we?

Why are you argueing?

What is the problem?

You need proof that pumping chemicals into the air we breath and the water we drink is bad?
Are you retarded?
you actaully want to wait until there is indisputable proof of damage before we make changes to our lifestyles?
the fact that there is some evidence now should be enough to tell you there will most likely be more.

Does anyone understand the ecosystem?
Everything on this planet it connected, and we just happen to be on this planet.
We are causing problems, we cant even begin to imagine, in fact when we are presented with some evidence, we argue about it, and we dont care cause we'll be long dead and our grandchildren will have to deal with it.

Why give Al Gore such a hassle for trying to make a difference?

You honestly think we will be worse off if we make efforts to live in harmony with the planet?

Why are we even hesitating to act and make changes that would benefit the environment?

Lower vehicle emissions, Why not?

Force factories to pump out less harmful waste? a bad idea?

The government should pass ligislation and FORCE corporations that produce ANY consumer product package, to make it biodegradable.

How can anyone disagree to make changes for a cleaner planet?

Now a bunch of 6th graders are saying 'screw then environment, we proved it doesnt matter.'
WTF? we should be making children more aware that what they do and the way they live needs to be more congruent with balancing the ecosystem, and helping the environment.

But whatevs, we can call Al Gore wrong, and label him a hipocryte, and send him a message that 11 year olds think he is full of shit.

At least he is trying to help.

Yeah right. Let's throw billions and tonnes of crap into the year every year since the beginning of the industrial revolution. No way could that affect teh environment or surface temperatures...hey Acorn, I gotta bridge to sell you in Brooklyn...

You are using the exact same type of junk science that Gore uses. Earth is getting warmer while we industrialized, well obviously that must be why it's getting warmer. Two things happening relatively simultaneosuly, in of itself, does not prove that their is a cause and effect relationship. Something I guess you and Gore missed in high school science.

Forum List

Back