Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Did I hear there are still troops in Germany and Japan? Bosnia? :confused:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070206/ap_on_go_su_co/scotus_o_connor

O'Connor to mediate WWII land dispute

By MARK SHERMAN, Associated Press Writer Tue Feb 6, 4:33 PM ET

WASHINGTON - Former Supreme Court Justice
Sandra Day O'Connor has agreed to mediate a long-running dispute over government reimbursement for land that was taken during World War II.
ADVERTISEMENT

The case involves 36,000 acres of farmland, and the valuable natural resources beneath them, in western Kentucky that was taken by condemnation to build the Army's Camp Breckenridge as a training facility. The government paid the owners $3.1 million for the property in the early 1940s.

Hundreds of families had to leave, believing they might be allowed to buy back their property someday.

But by the early 1950s, the Defense Department learned there could be valuable oil and gas reserves beneath the land. The government sold the land and the mineral rights for $32 million in 1965.

It took an act of Congress before the families finally won the right to sue in 1993...

Funny, I thought I'd hear from some of the quagmire folks. I guess the inconvenient reality just doesn't fit their agenda?

"Did I hear there are still troops in Germany and Japan? Bosnia?"

LOL!!!!!!! And how many have died lately from IED and suicide bombers in those countries. I usually respect your opinion but this analogy is just BAD.

LOL!!!!!!! And how many have died lately from IED and suicide bombers in those countries. I usually respect your opinion but this analogy is just BAD.

Not really. Consider where they were 4 years out. Even 10 years out. Btw, thanks for that backhanded compliment. ;)

Well, if we are going to count non combat related wounded in Iraq, should we not be doing the same for Japan, Germany, and any other country where troops are deployed. I wonder what the casualty count for US forces in Germany is now; especially since it's been "mission accomplished" for decades over there!

C'mon. Comparing peaceful countries like Japan and Germany to a cuagmire like Iraq is simply dishonest. World war II is past tense. Iraq is present.

C'mon. Comparing peaceful countries like Japan and Germany to a cuagmire like Iraq is simply dishonest. World war II is past tense. Iraq is present.

Not so past, as the O'Connor appointment shows. Not to mention all the deportations in the past 50 years. The real dishonesty is saying that Iraq is unwinnable because of the problems. I'm not saying it is, just that time is being used unfairly.

Thats ignorant of the facts. Germany and Japan 3 years after their surrender were far worse insurgencies than Iraq is today. Modern protective and recon equipment was not available to allied soldiers back then. Many casualties occured then. Germany and Japan today are indeed peaceful countries but if the situations following WW2 had occurred today, the modern media would have done the same thing that they are doing with Iraq.

Big difference. Iraq DID NOT ATTACK us and was NO THREAT.

Japan did attack us, Germany declared war on us shortly afterwards.

What happened to this?

cntrlaltdlt said:

Germany never attacked us and it could be argued that they posed no threat. Why did we vote for regime change there? I mean al queda declared war on us in the early 90's and used countries like Iraq, Iran, Syria, Afghanistam, etc as their base of operations for years before 9/11 ever occurred and we didnt acknowledge their declaration of war till they hit us REALLY hard.

You're trying really hard to be ignorant but deep down you know better.

New Topics

Forum List

Back