666 or 616?

hortysir

In Memorial of 47
Apr 30, 2010
Port Charlotte, FL
666 wrong number of prophetic beast?
(I know....WND, but the author seems to know his history)
For centuries, people have been intrigued by the number 666, the “number of the beast” from the Book of Revelation in the New Testament.
Not only is it mentioned in the Bible, it has been associated with the Satanism, universal price codes and the game of roulette, as the numbers on the wheel add up to 666.

Now, the legendary number is getting a fresh look, as researchers are re-examining evidence the number may actually be 616.

:confused:

In the second century, Irenaeus commented, "Some have erred following the ordinary mode of speech, and have devalued the middle number in the name, deducting the amount of fifty from it, so that instead of six decads they will have it that there is but one." It appears that the consensus of the early Church is that 616 is an error. Your link says an early fragment with 616 was found in an ancient dump. Maybe it was in the dump because it was thrown away because it was a flawed copy. It's all history, so it's not a big deal which one it is.

The article says 616 was Nero

*shrug*

666 is Nero, not 616.
I didn't go back and re-read.

TT had said J. Caesar was 666. I thought the piece mentioned both.

That's why I read what the experts have to say and not trust my own guesses
:D

616 refers to the Emperor Caligula
I remember the movie and Caligula was a special kind of deviant.

Was everyone under Caligula's reign required to carry his mark in order to trade?

How about 686, as in S&W M686?

Attachments

• $M686.jpg
    $M686.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 66
For centuries, people have been intrigued by the number 666, the “number of the beast” from the Book of Revelation in the New Testament.
Not only is it mentioned in the Bible, it has been associated with the Satanism, universal price codes and the game of roulette, as the numbers on the wheel add up to 666.

Now, the legendary number is getting a fresh look, as researchers are re-examining evidence the number may actually be 616.

The numbers on a roulette wheel add up to 620.....chuckle

The numbers on a roulette wheel add up to 620.....chuckle
:cool:
I don't claim to know which one of you are correct.

But I think his point was that many have tried to tie it to one thing or another, through out time.

That's why I think it presumptuous for Ariux to think that it's been answered.

Was everyone under Caligula's reign required to carry his mark in order to trade?

"Then I saw another beast coming up out of the earth; and he had two horns like a lamb and he spoke as a dragon... no one will be able to buy or to sell, except the one who has the mark, either the name of the beast or the number of his name." Anyone who takes a mark on the body literally is probably being rational, given the symbolic context, and given that this is a vision. It's not rational to take it literally that a leader would insist everyone has a tattoo of the number 666. If you assume this is a reference to a personal identification number, then you're not taking the number 666 literally, so why take the mark literally?

A mark on the hand could be symbolic of using coins with the leaders image on it. A mark on the head would be symbolic of loyalty to the leader.

It would be consistent with the character of some Roman emperors, such as Caligula, to demand the use of his money for trade and to demand even worship from the people.

"Then I saw another beast coming up out of the earth; and he had two horns like a lamb and he spoke as a dragon... no one will be able to buy or to sell, except the one who has the mark, either the name of the beast or the number of his name." Anyone who takes a mark on the body literally is probably being rational, given the symbolic context, and given that this is a vision. It's not rational to take it literally that a leader would insist everyone has a tattoo of the number 666. If you assume this is a reference to a personal identification number, then you're not taking the number 666 literally, so why take the mark literally?

A mark on the hand could be symbolic of using coins with the leaders image on it. A mark on the head would be symbolic of loyalty to the leader.

It would be consistent with the character of some Roman emperors, such as Caligula, to demand the use of his money for trade and to demand even worship from the people.

S'why I said "carry".

:eusa_eh:

Forum List

Back