66% Of Execs Say Workforce Will Stay The Same Or Get Smaller Next Year

bitterlyclingin

Silver Member
Aug 4, 2011
“over 66 percent expect that the size of their workforce will either stay the same or decrease over the next year”

Posted by William A. Jacobson Friday, August 19, 2011 at 12:52pm

Those are the findings of a survey of CEO’s by ChiefExecutive.net (h/t @billhobbs):

Unemployment numbers remain consistently high and CEOs are wary of future business conditions. In fact, chief executives are so pessimistic that over 66 percent expect that the size of their workforce will either stay the same or decrease over the next year according to Chief Executive magazine’s CEO Confidence Index for August 2011.

Of those who plan to hire, most will do so in a limited way; 74 percent of hiring CEOs will increase their workforce by less than 10 percent. This does not bode well for the 9.1% of US workers who were unemployed in July.

What’s driving the pessimism? A big part of it is Obamacare:

The ranking of hiring-inducing priorities that were ranked “important to extremely important” were as follows:
1.Backlog of work or increased revenue — 88.2 percent
2.Evidence of economic expansion — 77.2 percent
3.Repeal of Health Care Reform or eliminate uncertainty over its provisions — 71.6 percent
4.Reduction in government regulation of business — 62 percent
5.Government holds line on debt ceiling — 56.3
6.Reduced corporate tax rate to OECD average — 54.3
7.Balanced federal budget — 53.9
8.Gov’t passes all free trade agreements without delay — 48.8
9.Repeal Dodd-Frank or eliminate uncertainty over its provisions — 48.2

» “over 66 percent expect that the size of their workforce will either stay the same or decrease over the next year” - Le·gal In·sur·rec·tion

Put me in the decrease category. I have been in a hiring position since late 1980's.
Fortunately we have 2 retiring, they won't be replaced...however we still plan on another 4-5 prior to 2012.
And that sucks...every single employee I have is full-time with benefits with the lowest paid individual in the building at $15.50/ph.

Forum List

Back