65 years ago today, President Truman relieved the man he once referred to as “Mr. Prima Donna, Brass

• Banned
Truman Dismisses MacArthur

Dad served under McArthur, really admired him, but thought Truman was right executively and militarily to dump McArthur..
my FIL server under Patton's 3rd army at the Bulge. He was first sergeant
and had to assume command of the company after the Capt. got his head blown off.
He like Patton, hated Montgomery.
All yanks, I gather, really despised Montgomery. My uncle flew a glider into Normandy and another in Market Garden. Many years later, I was a paratrooper and hated any type of landing by plane. I did not mind by chute. It took me twenty years to get over my dislike of flying.

7650_1080705665322746_3921929731935872079_n.jpg

• Banned
A major part of the reason was that the number of military troops had grown significantly and were not counted against UE. Also war manufacturing employed many extra people in those years.

However, the increased wages being spent in a consumer economy helped business, workers, and the economy.

Truman Dismisses MacArthur

Dad served under McArthur, really admired him, but thought Truman was right executively and militarily to dump McArthur..

My father served under him in the Philippines and then in Japan as a paratrooper. He didn't like him either.

Montgomery was a good commander. He made mistakes, but the dislike for him comes from his ego and playing for the press, not incompetence.

Forum List

Back