65% of Americans support greater regulation of fracking

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
The U.S. public favors greater regulation of hydraulic fracturing, a natural gas drilling technique that has reduced prices for consumers while raising environmental concerns.

More than three times as many Americans say there should be more regulation of fracturing, known as fracking, than less, according to a Bloomberg News National Poll conducted March 8-11. The findings coincide with recent surveys in Ohio and New York where people who believe fracking will cause environmental damage outnumber those who say the process is safe.

“That actually doesn’t surprise me,” Mark Boling, executive vice president for Houston-based Southwestern Energy Co. (SWN), said of the poll results in an interview. “We have been so focused as an industry on figuring out how to crack the code and get these huge volumes of gas trapped in shale formations. We haven’t focused on the things we have to do differently above ground.”

Because of fracking, the U.S. is producing so much gas that the government may approve an export terminal after warning four years ago of a need to boost imports. Gas from shale, fine- grained sedimentary rocks that trap the fuel, made up 23 percent of U.S. production in 2010, and is forecast to rise to 49 percent by 2035, according to the Energy Department.

Tighter Fracking Regulations Favored by 65% of U.S. in Poll - Bloomberg

I agree with Mark Boling - it's a containment issue.

But the 65% figure doesn't surprise me, given the idiotic mentality of the U.S. public and the incessant bullshit propaganda perpetuated by the Liberal agenda.

Leftist fear mongering works.

This is not news.

leftist hate big biz, not news. leftist hate oil, not news. Fracking is done by big oil companies, leftist hate that twice as much.

leftist hate job creators, hate low gas prices, etc etc.....

No research, that I have seen or heard about clearly shows fracking to be harmful.

The E.P.A. concludes that hydraulic fracturing can lead to pollution of groundwater supplies. Further, the agency cites an example from West Virginia in which fracturing fluid migrated from a natural gas well to a water well owned by James Parsons, making it unfit to drink. They include comments from the American Petroleum Institute, which says that problems with the water well resulted from a malfunction in the fracturing process and that such malfunctions would also harm oil and gas production.

Documents: A Case of Fracking-Related Contamination - Interactive Feature - NYTimes.com

Leftist fear mongering works.

This is not news.

leftist hate big biz, not news. leftist hate oil, not news. Fracking is done by big oil companies, leftist hate that twice as much.

leftist hate job creators, hate low gas prices, etc etc.....

No research, that I have seen or heard about clearly shows fracking to be harmful.

the k00ks are so predictable, are they not?:D

The E.P.A. concludes that hydraulic fracturing can lead to pollution of groundwater supplies. Further, the agency cites an example from West Virginia in which fracturing fluid migrated from a natural gas well to a water well owned by James Parsons, making it unfit to drink. They include comments from the American Petroleum Institute, which says that problems with the water well resulted from a malfunction in the fracturing process and that such malfunctions would also harm oil and gas production.

Documents: A Case of Fracking-Related Contamination - Interactive Feature - NYTimes.com

1987?

BTW- I'm not one to deny that there is or was never an instance of fresh water contamination from O&G activities, but I to contend that it's an issue of containment and that proper well design and construction- as set for in individual States' existing regulations- is sufficient to prevent such contamination.

BTW- thanks for the link to that Report to Congress. Not seen it before and looks like a good read. Will check it out as time permits. It's wayyyy long. LOL

The U.S. public favors greater regulation of hydraulic fracturing, a natural gas drilling technique that has reduced prices for consumers while raising environmental concerns.

More than three times as many Americans say there should be more regulation of fracturing, known as fracking, than less, according to a Bloomberg News National Poll conducted March 8-11. The findings coincide with recent surveys in Ohio and New York where people who believe fracking will cause environmental damage outnumber those who say the process is safe.

“That actually doesn’t surprise me,” Mark Boling, executive vice president for Houston-based Southwestern Energy Co. (SWN), said of the poll results in an interview. “We have been so focused as an industry on figuring out how to crack the code and get these huge volumes of gas trapped in shale formations. We haven’t focused on the things we have to do differently above ground.”

Because of fracking, the U.S. is producing so much gas that the government may approve an export terminal after warning four years ago of a need to boost imports. Gas from shale, fine- grained sedimentary rocks that trap the fuel, made up 23 percent of U.S. production in 2010, and is forecast to rise to 49 percent by 2035, according to the Energy Department.

Yet we curse higher natural gas & motor vehicle fuel prices. The solution is______________________?

Yet we curse higher natural gas & motor vehicle fuel prices. The solution is______________________?

Most of those asked probably thought fracking just sounded bad.

Forum List

Back