65 Girls At Ohio High School Pregnant

GotZoom

Apr 20, 2005
Cordova, TN
CANTON, Ohio -- There are 490 female students at Timken High School, and 65 are pregnant, according to a recent report in the Canton Repository.

The article reported that some would say that movies, TV, videogames, lazy parents and lax discipline may all be to blame.

School officials are not sure they what has caused so many pregnancies, but in response to them, the school is launching a three-prong educational program to address pregnancy, prevention and parenting.

The newspaper also reported that students will face mounting tensions created by unplanned child-rearing responsibilities, causing students to quit school and plan for a GED. This will make it difficult for the Canton City School District to shake its academic watch designation by the state.

According to the Canton Health Department, statistics through July show that 104 of the 586 babies born to Canton residents in Aultman Hospital and Mercy Medical Center had mothers between 11 and 19.

The newspaper reports that the non-Canton rate was 7 percent. Canton was 15 percent.

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/4885861/detail.html
-----

Ummm....two things. They aren't sure what caused it? How about a "one-pronged" approach from the guys?

And..prevention? Isn't it a little late?

School demographics:

http://www.publicschoolreview.com/school_ov/school_id/61685

GotZoom said:
CANTON, Ohio -- There are 490 female students at Timken High School, and 65 are pregnant, according to a recent report in the Canton Repository.

The article reported that some would say that movies, TV, videogames, lazy parents and lax discipline may all be to blame.

School officials are not sure they what has caused so many pregnancies, but in response to them, the school is launching a three-prong educational program to address pregnancy, prevention and parenting.

The newspaper also reported that students will face mounting tensions created by unplanned child-rearing responsibilities, causing students to quit school and plan for a GED. This will make it difficult for the Canton City School District to shake its academic watch designation by the state.

According to the Canton Health Department, statistics through July show that 104 of the 586 babies born to Canton residents in Aultman Hospital and Mercy Medical Center had mothers between 11 and 19.

The newspaper reports that the non-Canton rate was 7 percent. Canton was 15 percent.

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/4885861/detail.html
-----

Ummm....two things. They aren't sure what caused it? How about a "one-pronged" approach from the guys?

And..prevention? Isn't it a little late?

School demographics:

http://www.publicschoolreview.com/school_ov/school_id/61685

Cmon dude---it's a school with lots of poor and minority students who don't have the slightest idea how to find that guy and give him a vasectomy :huh:

dilloduck said:
Cmon dude---it's a school with lots of poor and minority students who don't have the slightest idea how to find that guy and give him a vasectomy :huh:

Or afford it?

Looking at their stats - doesn't appear to be one of the Top 10 schools around the area:

56% white - 39% black.

45% eligible for free lunch.

They are under "Academic Watch"

Scores :

Percentage of 10th Grade Students Who Scored Proficient or Higher on the Social Studies Ohio Graduation Test (2004-05) 41.8
Percentage of 10th Grade Students Who Scored Proficient or Higher on the Math Ohio Graduation Test (2004-05) 57.9
Percentage of 10th Grade Students Who Scored Proficient or Higher on the Math Ohio Graduation Test (2003-04) 33.6
Percentage of 10th Grade Students Who Scored Proficient or Higher on the Reading Ohio Graduation Test (2004-05) 73.1
Percentage of 10th Grade Students Who Scored Proficient or Higher on the Reading Ohio Graduation Test (2003-04) 55.5
Percentage of 10th Grade Students Who Scored Proficient or Higher on the Writing Ohio Graduation Test (2004-05) 59.8
Percentage of 10th Grade Students Who Scored Proficient or Higher on the Science Ohio Graduation Test (2004-05) 34.3
Student Attendance Rate (2004-05) 88.1
Student Attendance Rate (2003-04) 87.3
Student Attendance Rate (2002-03) 87.2
Student Graduation Rate (2003-04) 62.5
Student Graduation Rate (2002-03) 59.6
Student Graduation Rate (2001-02) 57.9
Performance Index Score (2004-05) 75.8

I would love to know what kind of sex ed was being taught there. The article says they are stepping up info. on pregnancy, prevention and parenting, so what were teaching before? Condom usage? Condom handouts? Abstinence programs?

Well I may not be a genious, but i have a feeling these girls are pregnant because they've been having sex... i dunno call it a hunch. Question is. Is there on father for all of them or are lots of guys fathers?

Well I may not be a genious, but i have a feeling these girls are pregnant because they've been having sex... i dunno call it a hunch. Question is. Is there on father for all of them or are lots of guys fathers?

I read in another story that is was just one guy.

GotZoom said:

QUOTE]

Maybe sex is to blame. If they stop having sex they won't get pregnant again and the world can breathe easier.

NATO AIR said:
Good on em... We're gonna catch up to the Chinese sooner than later, you just wait.

:rolleyes:

Not to sound superior or anything. But, we don't need a bunch of kids at a school that's under academic probation having babies that they can't take care of.

Trigg said:
Not to sound superior or anything. But, we don't need a bunch of kids at a school that's under academic probation having babies that they can't take care of.

I agree. Abotion might not be the worst option for some of these people.

Powerman said:
I agree. Abotion might not be the worst option for some of these people.

Adoption might be a better plan that didn't involve killing human progeny for the sole crime of being born to idiots.

digging up an old thread.

The reason for the high pregancy rate in this school is simple and predictable: the school teaches "abstinence" rather than traditional sex ed that explains birth control. (Reference below.) Plenty of studies have shown that abstinence doesn't work, and in the international arena, our unwillingness to fund programs that talk about or provide contraception contributes directly to the spread of AIDS and other STD's. Yet one more reason why religion should not be allowed to control public policy.

Mariner.

Thirteen percent of the 490 girls at Timken High School in Canton, Ohio, are pregnant, contrasting with the national average of 8%, which has been falling over the past decade, the... AP/Yahoo! News reports. Teen pregnancy "is a widespread issue" in many urban areas, according to Jay Green, chair of the University of Arkansas' education reform department. Green and Greg Forster, both senior fellows at the Manhattan Institute for Policy Research, released a report in January 2004 that found 20% of urban 12th graders and 14% of suburban 12th graders have been pregnant. Since 2001, the Ohio Department of Health and the Bush administration have awarded $32 million in grants to state agencies for abstinence education. Timken High School offers an abstinence-based sex education program, but Joanne Hinton, whose 16-year-old daughter is pregnant, said that the program is insufficient. "It's time to take the blinders off and realize that these kids are having sex," she said (Mabin, AP/Yahoo! News, 9/1). Pregnant teens at Timken can enroll in a Pregnancy Life Skills class, which began this year after the school nurse received many requests for individual counseling (Garvey, New York Post, 9/4).

"Reprinted with permission from http://www.kaisernetwork.org.

Mariner said:
digging up an old thread.

The reason for the high pregancy rate in this school is simple and predictable: the school teaches "abstinence" rather than traditional sex ed that explains birth control. (Reference below.) Plenty of studies have shown that abstinence doesn't work, and in the international arena, our unwillingness to fund programs that talk about or provide contraception contributes directly to the spread of AIDS and other STD's. Yet one more reason why religion should not be allowed to control public policy.

Mariner.

Thirteen percent of the 490 girls at Timken High School in Canton, Ohio, are pregnant, contrasting with the national average of 8%, which has been falling over the past decade, the... AP/Yahoo! News reports. Teen pregnancy "is a widespread issue" in many urban areas, according to Jay Green, chair of the University of Arkansas' education reform department. Green and Greg Forster, both senior fellows at the Manhattan Institute for Policy Research, released a report in January 2004 that found 20% of urban 12th graders and 14% of suburban 12th graders have been pregnant. Since 2001, the Ohio Department of Health and the Bush administration have awarded $32 million in grants to state agencies for abstinence education. Timken High School offers an abstinence-based sex education program, but Joanne Hinton, whose 16-year-old daughter is pregnant, said that the program is insufficient. "It's time to take the blinders off and realize that these kids are having sex," she said (Mabin, AP/Yahoo! News, 9/1). Pregnant teens at Timken can enroll in a Pregnancy Life Skills class, which began this year after the school nurse received many requests for individual counseling (Garvey, New York Post, 9/4).

"Reprinted with permission from http://www.kaisernetwork.org.

No problem resurrecting old threads. Your solution is messed up though. We want to solve the problem by encouraging sex. That makes sense.

You know this problem wasn't like this in the 50s. It wasn't until the late 60s the trend started. I wonder what the difference was hmm...

Mariner, you also seem to be confusing "abstinence-based" with "abstinence only." And, uh, abstinence worked for hundreds of years before the hippies decided casual sex was perfectly acceptable. It's also worked with me. I have never had an STD, and I have never gotten anybody pregnant.

Forum List

Back