63% of Americans Do Not Want Debt Ceiling Raised CBS News/New York Times

So if not raising the debt ceiling will not have a negative effect on us, why is S&P going to lower our credit rating to D? For the lulz?

who says a) it won't have a negative effect on us? b) they actually will? c) perhaps you should reflect on what the s&p did OR not ala rating wise amidst the housing bubble inflating thru the 2000's....

Majority of americans don't know the consequences of NOT raising the debt ceiling.

Becuase our debt to liquidity will be extraordinalrily high....making us a high credit risk for more debt.

If it meant we would default on our debt...our rating would be an F

I think this post is a good example of you're not sure what's going on exactly.

D is the lowest.

S&P | Ratings Credit Ratings Definitions & FAQs | Americas

‘D’—Payment default on financial commitments.

Don't bother.

It's really what the radicals want to happen.

Something to do with Waterloo.

I like how so many posters are playing armchair economist. Though I guess it's easy to believe it's okay to play russian roulette with a full chamber when it comes to the economy when you have no idea what you're talking about.

Funny how you guys didn't say this when this current President & Democrats voted against raising the Debt Limit. So why the sudden concern and change of heart?

someone should tell sallow the majority has 'spoken'..

That was his response when asked why 63% of Americans side with the Republicans.

WSJ/NBC News Poll Finds Support Lacking for Entitlement Reductions - WSJ.com

WASHINGTON— Less than a quarter of Americans support making significant cuts to Social Security or Medicare to tackle the country's mounting deficit, according to a new Wall Street Journal/NBC News poll, illustrating the challenge facing lawmakers who want voter buy-in to alter entitlement programs

In the poll, Americans across all age groups and ideologies said by large margins that it was "unacceptable'' to make significant cuts in entitlement programs in order to reduce the federal deficit. Even tea party supporters, by a nearly 2-to-1 margin, declared significant cuts to Social Security "unacceptable."

what does that have to do with what I said to sallow?

who says a) it won't have a negative effect on us? b) they actually will? c) perhaps you should reflect on what the s&p did OR not ala rating wise amidst the housing bubble inflating thru the 2000's....

S&P themselves said they would lower it to a D. I know full-well what S&P and other rating agencies did during the housing bubble. However, that doesn't mean they aren't considered to be significant factors anymore.

I want one of these people that are saying that not raising the debt ceiling will cause the sky to fall upon us to answer this one question: what do we do when after, because it is a certainty that it will happen, we reach the max of that ceiling--from $14 trillion to $18 trillion? What is the result of perpetual spending?

Try weighing that idea against simply not borrowing more than the $14 trillion we are at. We can service the debt. The idea that we can't is fear-mongering at its worse, it is a lie.

"Majority has spoken."

As I was saying earlier, Americans don't want to make cuts, raise taxes, or raise the debt ceiling. Do tell how we're going to cut down the deficit then?

Becuase our debt to liquidity will be extraordinalrily high....making us a high credit risk for more debt.

If it meant we would default on our debt...our rating would be an F

D is the lowest.

‘D’—Payment default on financial commitments.

Don't bother.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85yMOPKR94M]YouTube - ‪Abba - Waterloo‬‏[/ame]

I am for more spending & cutting taxes. Print, print, print more money & give it to everyone, not just the political cronies.

Then again, I am heavily invested in Gold & Silver. These metals "have been berry, berry good to me!" (Slammin Sammy Sosa)

"Majority has spoken."

As I was saying earlier, Americans don't want to make cuts, raise taxes, or raise the debt ceiling. Do tell how we're going to cut down the deficit then?

this is what comes of remarking on something without being aware of the subtext, ask sallow why I posted that particular remark to him.

Last edited:

D is the lowest.

Don't bother.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85yMOPKR94M]YouTube - ‪Abba - Waterloo‬‏[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vlcuvrM1po&feature=related]YouTube - ‪The Battle of Waterloo - Charge of the British Heavy Cavalry‬‏[/ame]

Just go back and read this current President's own past words on opposing raising the Debt Limit. He voted against it. So why all the sudden concern and change of heart on this from him and the Democrats?

by not raising the debt ceiling before august, we WILL default on our loans....there is no way out of it, from what i have read, the gvt used up all of their accounting tricks, and ran out of all of their 'stealing from peter to pay paul'' tricks.

if we default, then ALL WILL BE MISERABLE FOR ALL Americans....interest rates on our debt will go higher, borrowing money for our government and for every individual and for every business will be higher....it would be like the biggest tax hike in our history when all is said and done.....

i really do not want this to befall upon Americans, and it WILL, if we do not pay for what we have spent....and justly so....everyone SHOULD PAY THEIR BILLS.

So you believe that exponential debt forever expanding has to done? That the answer to $14,000,000,000,000 credit debt is more credit?

Again, you have really bought into the left's fake threat that America will default if they can't raise the debt from $14 trillion to $18 trillion.

Let me ask you this: if we raise the limit and in three years reach it again what is the answer then? We can't not raise it right?

You are incorrect that it is not possible to not raise the debt ceiling and service American debt. Simply wrong.
then prove it google....show me how we won't default if our debt ceiling is not raised by this august....let's see the numbers....

as far as raising it to the 18 trillion....for what period is their estimate on needing the extra 4 trillion? is it over 10 years? is it till 2012? 2016?

i agree the 18 trillion limit is not needed to settle what we have spent through august of this year....

but i also agree that the economic and market chaos would be less likely if the usa set a higher limit, where every three months they are not looking to raise the debt limit through nickle and diming it....our businesses would be on a roller coaster every few months or so, with no stability to look forward to....

as long as significant cuts are made to the future budgets, i'm ok in raising the debt ceiling....

our over spending the budget did not arise over night....it took 10 years to get us where we are running with deficit spending and it will take 10 years to get us back on track, at least! as the saying goes, it is so much easier to gain weight than to lose it.....same with budgets.

I see being irrational about this will ONLY HURT US MORE....and if we default on anything, it will hurt every single one of us, and every business out there.....and YES, I know this and believe this.

So if not raising the debt ceiling will not have a negative effect on us, why is S&P going to lower our credit rating to D? For the lulz?

They're certainly not going to reward us for going further into debt. It will happen due to our inablity to maintain said levels of debt.

I like how you kind of contradict yourself there. It's funny, but rather telling of how you view the position. You seem to think the actual, literal level of debt is what's important (which it's not) while at the same time acknowledging that this is really about our ability to maintain a level of debt (which it is).

"Majority has spoken."

By doing the right thing by cutting spending and taxes. That's what needs to be done.

The idea that because the American people don't want to cut spending, raise taxes, or raise the debt ceiling, we need should just raise the debt ceiling is ridiculous. If the American people don't want to do all three, then do the one that's the right thing to do.

We can cut spending. We can cut taxes and increase the tax base which means more revenue. We can do this. But the politicians in Washington are cowards.

Forum List

Back