63% of Americans Do Not Want Debt Ceiling Raised CBS News/New York Times

That is just rhetoric some overzealous politicians are throwing out there.
We will not default on our debt

I didn't realize Standard & Poor was a overzealous politician. After all, they weren't saying they were going to lower our credit rating to D or anything. :cuckoo:

The conservative movement is winning. Obama has highlighted the distinctions between the left and the right, and an election and polls have shown that the pendulum is swinging hard right.

63% of Americans disagree with Obama, 63% agree with the Republicans. That is a sign of how disillusioned Americans are with this president and his constant crisis behavior.

The best way to describe not raising the debt ceiling would be to default on 30% of your credit card payments instantly. Let's ask Americans in a poll and see how many think that's a good idea.

Except it's a complete lie that we would default if we didn't raise the debt ceiling. We have money coming in every week. We could in theory lower the debt ceiling and still lower the debt. Unfortuantely, politicians don't want to be serious about fixing the problem and won't cut spending.

The best way to describe not raising the debt ceiling would be to default on 30% of your credit card payments instantly. Let's ask Americans in a poll and see how many think that's a good idea.

There you go again.

Not raising the debt ceiling is not synonymous with defaulting on debt. Revenues are being brought in, and the debt can be serviced so long as the necessary budget measures are taken--the Balanced Budget Amendment to the Constitution is the most important step in fixing deficit spending, ensuring this never happens again.

It's just left-wing fear mongering.. and here's how it works - They jack up the debt to historic levels and then tell us if we don't let them borrow more, they'll default and the Earth will stop rotating because we can't go further into debt.

exactly...well, less the earth stopping....but in a nutshell, they tell us we need to borrow more...and then during the next campaign they will be able to promise their voter base checks in the mail and entitlements...

Recall...."vote for me and 95% of you will get a check in the mail" (paraphroased for affect)

Except somebody won't be getting paid if we don't raise the debt ceiling. Someone is going to get stiffed by the Federal Government because they failed to live up to their obligation.

Bolded and quoted for emphasis, since many here seem to not want to accept this.

The fact is, the Federal Government promised and entered into contracts with a variety of people and vendors and those bills are now due. Sure, maybe we could get enough cash to pay the interest on the debt, but we would STOP paying all our other bills and legal obligations. That's like you deciding to pay your mortgage but not your utility bills. Would there be ZERO repercussions? No way.

Fact is, if we pay the debt and don't pay everything else, that hurts our credit rating and our interest rates go up, which means home owners rates go up. How is that good for the country?

All polls have showed a majority opposing raising the debt ceiling. Can you show me a poll from a reputable source showing differently?

Probably not. I agree that the majority of Americans oppose raising the debt limit. I also think that doesn't change the fact Democratic voters know more about this subject, and that the public as a whole is pretty ignorant about it.

Aside from pure hubris, where is there any evidence that Democratic voters know more about this subject? Especially since they continue to vote in people who pretend we don't have to have any spending restraint whatsoever?

This Poll is funny in some ways. Some Democrats on this board are touting the fact most Democrats currently support raising the Debt Limit. And they're claiming this makes Democrats so much smarter than most Americans. Yet these same smart Democrats vehemently opposed raising Debt Limits in the past. In fact this current President used to love hopping up on his high-horse preaching about how awful raising the Debt Limit was. He then voted against it. So now the Democrats are cheerleading for raising Debt Limits? That doesn't make them smart. That just makes them dishonest hypocrites. They should actually be ashamed of themselves.

2010 study released by Nielsen reported that Newsmax.com was the number one site for conservatives in the U.S., making it one of the most influential conservative news sites in the nation.[12]

The company has increasingly attracted national and international leaders to its West Palm Beach, Fla. headquarters. Former President Bill Clinton, who describes Newsmax's CEO Ruddy as a friend, made headlines when he visited Newsmax's offices during the summer of 2010.[13]

When Sarah Palin stopped by the office for an interview, US News and World Report suggested the move was the clearest indication yet she was planning to run for president.[14]

According to the magazine, Newsmax has become a must-do stop for Republican candidates seeking the GOP nomination.[15]

Visitors have included Sen. John Thune, Gov. Haley Barbour, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, and former Sen. Rick Santorum, among others.[16]

Newsmax.com is one of the nation's most read news websites. Nielsen Online said Newsmax was the most trafficked conservative website with approximately 4 million unique visitors monthly.[17]

In 2009, Forbes magazine says regular readers include Newt Gingrich and John Templeton Jr. [8]

In addition to Newsmax.com, the company publishes Newsmax magazine, which the company describes as the nation’s "largest independent monthly with a conservative perspective." During 2006 the magazine’s ABC-audited circulation totaled approximately 90,125 paid subscribers.[18]

In November 2005, Newsmax magazine earned a Silver Eddie award in the News/Commentary category of the Eddies, the journalism awards presented by Folio Magazine in New York City.[19]

MarketWatch.com's media critic Jon Friedman attributed Newsmax's business success to a focus on its bottom line as a business rather than pushing a political ideology.[20]

Alexa Internet statistics for Newsmax.com indicate that the readership consists mainly of internet users over the age of 45, which aligns itself to the average age of Republican leaning voters, as gathered by The Pew Research Center

Contributors:

Newsmax has a sizable stable of news correspondents and editorialists. Among them is Ronald Kessler, Newsmax's chief Washington correspondent, who worked for The Washington Post and The Wall Street Journal.

Other contributing correspondents to Newsmax include former Reader's Digest Editor Kenneth R. Timmerman. Newsmax regulars include Christopher W. Ruddy, David Limbaugh, Pat Boone, James Hirsen, John LeBoutillier, Susan Estrich, Dr. Laura Schlessinger, Bill O'Reilly and Michael Reagan[37].

Besides political commentaries, Newsmax publishes The Blaylock Wellness Report[38] in which Dr. Russell Blaylock provides information regarding choices in food, drugs, nutritional supplements and other health remedies, as well as denouncing vaccines, blood pressure medicine, and aluminum cookware.[39] Blaylock has endorsed a number of views that are inconsistent with the scientific consensus.[40] Additional newsletter publications of Newsmax include Intelligent Options; The ETF Strategist; High-Yield Income Investing; and Financial Intelligence Report[41], as well as Dr. Brownstein's Natural Way to Health[42], Dr. Amen's Brain Health Report[43], and the financial news Web site Moneynews.com[44].

Newsmax Media - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are some people on this board that, instead of addressing the substance of a thread attack the source of the news article. They never address the validity of the point, but rather denigrate the source as if that is proving anything.

How about you show me a poll that proves the OP to be false, or address anything in the OP.

Also using Wikipedia as the source discrediting the truthfulness of Newsmax is humorous.

I don't think there is any disputing the portion I posted. You can make polls say anything you want. The spin of Newsmax is as bad a s Fox Noise.

by not raising the debt ceiling before august, we WILL default on our loans....there is no way out of it, from what i have read, the gvt used up all of their accounting tricks, and ran out of all of their 'stealing from peter to pay paul'' tricks.

if we default, then ALL WILL BE MISERABLE FOR ALL Americans....interest rates on our debt will go higher, borrowing money for our government and for every individual and for every business will be higher....it would be like the biggest tax hike in our history when all is said and done.....

i really do not want this to befall upon Americans, and it WILL, if we do not pay for what we have spent....and justly so....everyone SHOULD PAY THEIR BILLS.

All polls have showed a majority opposing raising the debt ceiling. Can you show me a poll from a reputable source showing differently?

Probably not. I agree that the majority of Americans oppose raising the debt limit. I also think that doesn't change the fact Democratic voters know more about this subject, and that the public as a whole is pretty ignorant about it.

Aside from pure hubris, where is there any evidence that Democratic voters know more about this subject? Especially since they continue to vote in people who pretend we don't have to have any spending restraint whatsoever?

I'd say, if anythying, Democrat voters are fairly ignorant.

What can I say to that? You concede that: yes even though Obama has successfully used fear to pass nearly all of his legislative agenda; the public isn't buying it this time. And it is because they are stupid.

You believe that and so does Obama
, and it is becoming resoundingly obvious to many Americans. How about the poll showing any Republicans would win if the election was held today.

How do you spin all these indicators of a electoral defeat in 2012? Will you riot when Obama loses? I hear they are predicting a lot of riots.

by not raising the debt ceiling before august, we WILL default on our loans....there is no way out of it, from what i have read, the gvt used up all of their accounting tricks, and ran out of all of their 'stealing from peter to pay paul'' tricks.

if we default, then ALL WILL BE MISERABLE FOR ALL Americans....interest rates on our debt will go higher, borrowing money for our government and for every individual and for every business will be higher....it would be like the biggest tax hike in our history when all is said and done.....

i really do not want this to befall upon Americans, and it WILL, if we do not pay for what we have spent....and justly so....everyone SHOULD PAY THEIR BILLS.

no care, we won't default.

Except somebody won't be getting paid if we don't raise the debt ceiling. Someone is going to get stiffed by the Federal Government because they failed to live up to their obligation.

Bolded and quoted for emphasis, since many here seem to not want to accept this.

The fact is, the Federal Government promised and entered into contracts with a variety of people and vendors and those bills are now due. Sure, maybe we could get enough cash to pay the interest on the debt, but we would STOP paying all our other bills and legal obligations. That's like you deciding to pay your mortgage but not your utility bills. Would there be ZERO repercussions? No way.

Fact is, if we pay the debt and don't pay everything else, that hurts our credit rating and our interest rates go up, which means home owners rates go up. How is that good for the country?

Many people don't accept it because it's not true.

This Poll is funny in some ways. Some Democrats on this board are touting the fact most Democrats currently support raising the Debt Limit. And they're claiming this makes Democrats so much smarter than most Americans. Yet these same smart Democrats vehemently opposed raising Debt Limits in the past. In fact this current President used to love hopping up on his high-horse preaching about how awful raising the Debt Limit was. He then voted against it. So now the Democrats are cheerleading for raising Debt Limits? That doesn't make them smart. That just makes them dishonest hypocrites. They should actually be ashamed of themselves.

They just dont like the idea of fiscal discipline. It means they can steal less money for themselves.

That is just rhetoric some overzealous politicians are throwing out there.
We will not default on our debt

I didn't realize Standard & Poor was a overzealous politician. After all, they weren't saying they were going to lower our credit rating to D or anything. :cuckoo:

Why did you change what I commented on?

I commented on the "similar to defaulting on 30% of your debt" comment

Sure...our rating SHOULD be a "D"....but that is based on the size of our debt.....

Forum List

Back