62 Miles (City) Per Tank . . . of Compressed Air

So no link to the specs? Do you understand physics and thermodynamics? There just isn't enough stored energy at lower pressures to move a car. Perhaps I am wrong on that which is why it would be nice if you would prove your claim, specifically where you claimed a $79 compressor would fill the tanks in 2 minutes.
OK - maybe a $79 compressor would fill the tank in more than 2 minutes.

Do you have anything to substantiate that any household compressor would work at all?
You're the one who has claimed that you would need 1000 psi. Do you have any evidence that would be the requirement?

The OP states a 2 minute refill. They do not state a tank capacity or a psi.

Do you have anything to substantiate that any household compressor would work at all?
You're the one who has claimed that you would need 1000 psi. Do you have any evidence that would be the requirement?

The 1000 psi number came from my understanding of physics. Here's linkable evidence:

World's First Air-Powered Car: Zero Emissions by Next Summer - Popular Mechanics

True. So I'm curious about why you said this:

A simple air compressor for $79 at Sears would be all you need. And running it for 2 minutes each day will use hardly any energy at all.

A car like this could truly revolutionize the daily commute to work, leaving your regular car in the driveway, saving it wear and tear, saving so much money per person for gas. I think the average person spends $2500 per year on gas. I would love to stick an extra $2500 per year into an investment account instead of my gas tank.

None of those claims are even remotely true.

Synthaholic,

You have to be honest. These compressed air cars will be the solution to for some Americans. Maybe in rural areas, in which driving 60 miles a day is not a problem. But it won't be the long-term solution for America. The LT solution is the electric car and better stationary sources to produce the needed energy for the electric car. The goal should be to combat the global warming hoax, but to get off foreign oil and be completely ENERGY INDEPENDENT!!!

(1) Coal is our MAIN source! We have more coal than any other country on the planet. Don't let Reid, Pelosi, Obama and EPA shut it down like they do to our oil reserves. We have one of the largest oil reverses in the world, we could actually be oil independent, but the liberals have stopped us from foing that.

(2) BUILD NUCLEAR PLANTS! For god sake, why are we not building nuclear plants. Other countries like France has been doing this for a while.

(3) Natural Gas! We have a ton of reserves. I saw the documentary on fracking. I don't like, so we must demand natural gas companies find more efficient and less environmental harazdous ways to extract natural gas. But Natural Gas should be promoted as our second or third source.

(4) Maximize our Hydroelectric Sources! Hydro is one of those green, renewable sources that actually produces a lot of energy. We still have a ton of stops in the country to build hydroelectric dams, we need to do it.

Promote Wind and Solar, BUT BE HONEST ABOUT IT! Wind and Solar must become more efficient and effective to become a viable alternative! Right now they aren't. The technology must get better!

I cannot account for what you have or have not seen. Sorry.

So no link to the specs? Do you understand physics and thermodynamics? There just isn't enough stored energy at lower pressures to move a car. Perhaps I am wrong on that which is why it would be nice if you would prove your claim, specifically where you claimed a $79 compressor would fill the tanks in 2 minutes.

Compressed air has a way of reacting to temperature swings. You could find that a full tank of compressed air loses pressure as the temperature drops so I'd be a little wary of driving in the winter.

The 1000 psi number came from my understanding of physics. Here's linkable evidence:

World's First Air-Powered Car: Zero Emissions by Next Summer - Popular Mechanics

A simple air compressor for $79 at Sears would be all you need. And running it for 2 minutes each day will use hardly any energy at all.

A car like this could truly revolutionize the daily commute to work, leaving your regular car in the driveway, saving it wear and tear, saving so much money per person for gas. I think the average person spends $2500 per year on gas. I would love to stick an extra $2500 per year into an investment account instead of my gas tank.

Whether you understand physics or not is irrelevant. You pulled the 1000 psi number out of your ass, based on someone else's design, yet you want me to argue your arbitrary figure instead of the OP. Sorry.

"A car like this could truly revolutionize the daily commute to work" - that's not a claim that's remotely true?

"leaving your regular car in the driveway, saving it wear and tear, saving so much money per person for gas." - that's not a claim that's remotely true?

"I think the average person spends $2500 per year on gas." - that's not a claim that's remotely true?

"running it for 2 minutes each day will use hardly any energy at all." - that's not a claim that's remotely true?

Now, maybe a $79 Sears compressor might not do it - or maybe it would, but the OP states that this would be a low cost option. I would imaging that wouldn't be the case if you had to buy a very expensive compressor.

Synthaholic,

You have to be honest. These compressed air cars will be the solution to for some Americans. Maybe in rural areas, in which driving 60 miles a day is not a problem. But it won't be the long-term solution for America. The LT solution is the electric car and better stationary sources to produce the needed energy for the electric car. The goal should be to combat the global warming hoax, but to get off foreign oil and be completely ENERGY INDEPENDENT!!!

Where have I not been honest? And where have I implied this would be the solution for all America or that every American would want one?

See, this is the problem with the ignorant, reactionary Rightwing: If you show them something like this, they jump to the conclusion that 'Evil Liberals' want to mandate that everyone buy one. You see this in the first few wingnut replies to this thread.

Wingnuts are really big on slippery slope arguments, because that's what Rush and Sean tell them to think. You can't have solar energy, because then it will become law, you can't restrict extended clips and personal bazooka ownership, because the next step is taking away everyone's peni...er, guns, and you can't have air-compressed cars because the gummint will force everyone to own one.

I think this car would be great for short work commutes, in retirement communities where they just want to get to a store and run errands, as a replacement for mail trucks, and in dense cities like NYC, Tokyo, etc.

Last edited:
(1) Coal is our MAIN source! We have more coal than any other country on the planet. Don't let Reid, Pelosi, Obama and EPA shut it down like they do to our oil reserves. We have one of the largest oil reverses in the world, we could actually be oil independent, but the liberals have stopped us from foing that.

(2) BUILD NUCLEAR PLANTS! For god sake, why are we not building nuclear plants. Other countries like France has been doing this for a while.

(3) Natural Gas! We have a ton of reserves. I saw the documentary on fracking. I don't like, so we must demand natural gas companies find more efficient and less environmental harazdous ways to extract natural gas. But Natural Gas should be promoted as our second or third source.

(4) Maximize our Hydroelectric Sources! Hydro is one of those green, renewable sources that actually produces a lot of energy. We still have a ton of stops in the country to build hydroelectric dams, we need to do it.

Promote Wind and Solar, BUT BE HONEST ABOUT IT! Wind and Solar must become more efficient and effective to become a viable alternative! Right now they aren't. The technology must get better!

I agree with all of this. And they now believe that fracking may be the cause of the sudden rash of earthquakes in Arkansas.

Synthaholic,

Where have I not been honest? And where have I implied this would be the solution for all America or that every American would want one?

See, this is the problem with the ignorant, reactionary Rightwing: If you show them something like this, they jump to the conclusion that 'Evil Liberals' want to mandate that everyone buy one. You see this in the first few wingnut replies to this thread.

Wingnuts are really big on slippery slope arguments, because that's what Rush and Sean tell them to think. You can't have solar energy, because then it will become law, you can't restrict extended clips and personal bazooka ownership, because the next step is taking away everyone's peni...er, guns, and you can't have air-compressed cars because the gummint will force everyone to own one.

I think this car would be great for short work commutes, in retirement communities where they just want to get to a store and run errands, as a replacement for mail trucks, and in dense cities like NYC, Tokyo, etc.

You say I am jumping to conclusion! :confused: Yet you infer that I am saying your calling for a mandate to all Americans! :confused:

All I was saying is these compressed air cars can help us get freed from oil, but its far from the solution. If all we had was these cars as the solution, then we fail! I believe the electric car is the future!

Synthaholic,

You say I am jumping to conclusion! :confused: Yet you infer that I am saying your calling for a mandate to all Americans! :confused:

All I was saying is these compressed air cars can help us get freed from oil, but its far from the solution. If all we had was these cars as the solution, then we fail! I believe the electric car is the future!
No, I wasn't talking about you, GHook - I was talking about the wingnuts who do not want to hear about anything that isn't oil-based.

Got a link to the specs proving that? The only usable engines I've seen need about 1000 psi, something a small air compressor cannot produce and even industrial compressors cannot produce in 2 minutes.

we could swap air tanks at the air tank station.

Let me check google maps~~~~~

wth!

My 'puter is loling at me.

Heh!

Yeah, Tata has a design that one day will allow refueling at specific stations in 2-3 minutes but 220-380v compressors included with the car will take 3-4 hours to refill.

The Air Car - zero pollution and very low running costs

Now how much electricity is used running a 220v compressor for 3 hours? 10 bucks here. So $10 for 180 miles. That's a cost increase, not a decrease and it's not cleaner at all since all that electricity is still consumed.
5652.strip.gif

Ten bucks to run a compressor for 3 to 4 hours!!! :rofl:

My friend has an all electric 2 bedroom house and his highest electric bill is $350 a month in the winter. That's less than $12 per day to heat the house, the water, burn the lights, run the refrigerator, the dishwasher, TV and stereo and you expect me to believe that running a small compressor for 3 to 4 hours uses almost as much electricity as a whole house uses in the winter. :cuckoo:

Last edited:

wth!

Heh!

Yeah, Tata has a design that one day will allow refueling at specific stations in 2-3 minutes but 220-380v compressors included with the car will take 3-4 hours to refill.

Now how much electricity is used running a 220v compressor for 3 hours? 10 bucks here. So $10 for 180 miles. That's a cost increase, not a decrease and it's not cleaner at all since all that electricity is still consumed.
5652.strip.gif

My friend has an all electric 2 bedroom house and his highest electric bill is $350 a month in the winter. That's less than $12 per day to heat the house, the water, burn the lights, run the refrigerator, the dishwasher, TV and stereo and you expect me to believe that running a small compressor for 3 to 4 hours uses almost as much electricity as a whole house uses in the winter. :cuckoo:

Compressed air car - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Refueling the compressed air container using a home or low-end conventional air compressor may take as long as 4 hours, though specialized equipment at service stations may fill the tanks in only 3 minutes. To store 14.3 kWh @300 bar in 300 l (90 m3 @ 1 bar) reservoirs, you need at least 93 kWh on the compressor side (with an optimum single stage compressor working on the ideal adiabatic limit), or rather less with a multistage unit. That means, a compressor power of over 1 Megawatt (1000 kW) is needed to fill the reservoirs in 5 minutes from a single stage unit, or several hundred horsepower for a multistage one.

Last edited:
Heh!

5652.strip.gif

"Refueling the compressed air container using a home or low-end conventional air compressor may take as long as 4 hours, though specialized equipment at service stations may fill the tanks in only 3 minutes. To store 14.3 kWh @300 bar in 300 l (90 m3 @ 1 bar) reservoirs, you need at least 93 kWh on the compressor side (with an optimum single stage compressor working on the ideal adiabatic limit), or rather less with a multistage unit. That means, a compressor power of over 1 Megawatt (1000 kW) is needed to fill the reservoirs in 5 minutes from a single stage unit, or several hundred horsepower for a multistage one.
Are you trying to say it will cost $10 to recharge the tank?
If you are, would you like to put some money on it?

Whether you understand physics or not is irrelevant. You pulled the 1000 psi number out of your ass, based on someone else's design, yet you want me to argue your arbitrary figure instead of the OP. Sorry.

No, I asked for a link to the specs. You never provided one. I then did a quick calculation based on my understanding of physics and got to about 1000 psi, knowing that all the designs I've ever been exposed to were well over that.

"A car like this could truly revolutionize the daily commute to work" - that's not a claim that's remotely true?

Nope. It's too expensive to buy and to use.

"leaving your regular car in the driveway, saving it wear and tear, saving so much money per person for gas." - that's not a claim that's remotely true?

Nope because it would cost much more in electricity costs.

"I think the average person spends $2500 per year on gas." - that's not a claim that's remotely true?

Nope.

Or try this one:

How Much Gas Does Your State Use Per Person? » INFRASTRUCTURIST

"running it for 2 minutes each day will use hardly any energy at all." - that's not a claim that's remotely true?

Nope.

Now, maybe a $79 Sears compressor might not do it - or maybe it would, but the OP states that this would be a low cost option. I would imaging that wouldn't be the case if you had to buy a very expensive compressor.

Your imagination does not correlate to reality.

Synthaholic,

As opposed to the ignorant reactionary leftist? One that is clueless about how much it costs to fill up a tank capable of moving a car?

Synthaholic,

As opposed to the ignorant reactionary leftist? One that is clueless about how much it costs to fill up a tank capable of moving a car?
If I'm so "clueless" about how much it costs to recharge the tank of the air car, why don't you warranty your claim of $10 per tank, SUCKER????

To air charge a tank large enough to propel a car weighing 500 pounds carrying 2 passengers weighing, GVWt. 750 lbs, 62 miles powered entirely by compressed air would cost more than $10 to fill at home (and significantly more than $10 at a commercial convenience station).

My rationale is based on the First law of thermodynamics/conservation of energy: "The law of conservation of energy is an empirical law of physics. It states that the total amount of energy in an isolated system remains constant over time (is said to be conserved over time). A consequence of this law is that energy can neither be created or destroyed: it can only be transformed from one state to another. The only thing that can happen to energy in a closed system is that it can change form: for instance chemical energy can become kinetic energy."

Last edited:

To air charge a tank large enough to propel a car weighing 500 pounds carrying 2 passengers weighing, GVWt. 750 lbs, 62 miles powered entirely by compressed air would cost more than $10 to fill at home (and significantly more than $10 at a commercial convenience station).

My rationale is based on the First law of thermodynamics/conservation of energy: "The law of conservation of energy is an empirical law of physics. It states that the total amount of energy in an isolated system remains constant over time (is said to be conserved over time). A consequence of this law is that energy can neither be created or destroyed: it can only be transformed from one state to another. The only thing that can happen to energy in a closed system is that it can change form: for instance chemical energy can become kinetic energy."
You don't have to explain the FLoT to me, I'm a physicist.
if you really believe it will cost $10 to fill the compressed air tank, warranty it with some money. I'll match any amount you can afford to lose without welshing. We can settle up anonymously with Paypal.

No, I wasn't talking about you, GHook - I was talking about the wingnuts who do not want to hear about anything that isn't oil-based.

I would love to hear about alternatives. I've looked into them.

How much does a 25kw system installed on my roof cost? How much does a solar car cost? An air car isn't feasible in Florida but solar should be.

wth!

Heh!

5652.strip.gif

Define "small." Remember, the compressor has to fill a tank to over 1000 psi. Do you know of any "small" compressor that can do that?

I guess it depends on the definition of "small."

If I'm so "clueless" about how much it costs to recharge the tank of the air car, why don't you warranty your claim of $10 per tank, SUCKER????

Sure.

Back when I was doing construction we'd have temporary power hooked up to the house and were given detailed billing of our usage. Running nothing but an air compressor to power paint sprayers and impact wrenches because there were no lights or electrical outlets (we were hanging drywall and painting), the bill worked out to about $3 per hour that the meter was running.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back