6000 Veterans Commited Suicide Last Year!

What's the comparison to the population in general?

I know being in combat changes people forever, but when people make these claims w/o comparisons, there's usually a lack of facts.

WHO: Suicide rates
in 1999 the USA rate per 100,000 was 17.6 for men, 4.1 women.

It was about the same in 2005 according to Wiki: 17.7 for men, 4.5 for women.
Suicide in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The rate among vets is three to almost four times higher:
The VA calculated the numbers using Centers for Disease Control and Prevention numbers from 16 states. In 2005, the rate per 100,000 veterans among men ages 18-29 was 44.99, compared with 56.77 in 2007, the VA said. It did not release data for other population groups.
Suicide Rate of Young Veterans Soars - CBS News

Wiki graph of national averages:
800px-Suicide-deaths-per-100000-trend.jpg

Army suicides set record in July

The U.S. Army suffered a record 32 suicides in July, the most since it began releasing monthly figures in 2009.

The high number of deaths represents a setback for the Army, which has put a heavy focus on reducing suicides in recent years. The number includes 22 active-duty soldiers and 10 reservists. The previous record was 31, from June 2010.

Army suicides set record in July - The Washington Post

and, your link-
If the suicide rate among troops is compared to a population that is similar to the military in terms of age, race and sex, the rate in the Army and Marine Corps appears to be about the same or slightly lower than the population at large, according to the Rand Corp., a government-funded think tank.

Oh, and thank you for verifying my immediate thoughts laid out on page 1, I make 32 x 12 as 384?

and, your link-
If the suicide rate among troops is compared to a population that is similar to the military in terms of age, race and sex, the rate in the Army and Marine Corps appears to be about the same or slightly lower than the population at large, according to the Rand Corp., a government-funded think tank.

Oh, and thank you for verifying my immediate thoughts laid out on page 1, I make 32 x 12 as 384?

The paragraph above the one you quoted:
In recent years, the Army’s suicide rate has surpassed the rate for the overall population. Comparing suicide rates among soldiers is difficult because the latest national suicide statistics, which are compiled by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, are about three years old.

The U.S. Army suffered a record 32 suicides in July, the most since it began releasing monthly figures in 2009.

The high number of deaths represents a setback for the Army, which has put a heavy focus on reducing suicides in recent years. The number includes 22 active-duty soldiers and 10 reservists. The previous record was 31, from June 2010.

and, your link-

That's active duty. Are veterans considered only active duty? I find it funny that you would sugarcoat this issue.

The numbers reflected in the general population include all people.

There would obviously be more mentally compromised people in the general population than in vets.

Those numbers can not be compared directly

and, your link-

The paragraph above the one you quoted:
In recent years, the Army’s suicide rate has surpassed the rate for the overall population. Comparing suicide rates among soldiers is difficult because the latest national suicide statistics, which are compiled by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, are about three years old.

so which one is it?

and frankly, due to as old salt says, with the extra deployments etc.*shrugs*we also need to know who these soldiers were,. were they deployed to afghan. and iraq? combat vets?

Did their test scores put them in a range where in they occupy a sect that one finds a correlation to civilian sects of same aptitude, mental sate etc.......is this symptomatic of some breakdown?

and, your link-

That's active duty. Are veterans considered only active duty? I find it funny that you would sugarcoat this issue.

No, I am sugar coating nothing, I am not going to emotionally runaway with another, possibly ginned up story absent documentation, and as far as active duty vis a vis non active; we have been at war 10 years going right back to day one, so how many of these folks who have been 'over there' have mustered out and committed suicide and what is the average for those verse those still in? combat? etc. see my post above for other related issues.

What is your criteria for determining he is real and others are not?

Well look here. Another "I suddenly care about veterans" Internet asswipe who wants to question my military service.

Bring it - you fucking asshole. I've spent more time taking shits in the heads of Battleships then hours you ever served your country.

So yeah - bring it asswipe.

I put no more wieght on your claims on the internet than I do anyone elses.

It is of no evidencial value

In the work that I do, I see a lot of psychiatric issues with active military, including attempted suicide.

Many of them are facing the issues everyone has...divorce, financial issues, problems with work or chain of command, (boss/supervisor) family/relationship issues.

Some of them are just at the age where a mental disorder, such a bipolar, mood disorder, personality disorder, are ripe for their first their 'episode' and diagnosis. Being in the military could have nothing to do with it, or it could have been the triggering factor.

A lot are suffering from PTSD from one deployment or multiple. These young men and women, some of whom not long ago, were high school students, their biggest concern was passing a test or who to take the the prom, go into these siutations having learned to fight and defend, but are unprepared for the degree of hate and visciousness they encounter from the very people we are there trying to assist, at least according to the government spin on things. They are unprepared for the unevitable atrocities of war, some so horrid no one should be expected to wrap their head around and live with it.

Almost always, alcohol and/or some other substance abuse plays a part, generally used to drown out the pain, symptoms of PTSD or forget for just a while what they've been exposed to or what they are dealing with, just to cope.

Not even one of them has uttered a word about the debt ceiling as having contributed whatesoever to their problems.

About 30,000 Americans take their lives every year. The world suicide prevention group notes that worldwide suicide rates have increased 60% in 45 years. Many of the Veterans today are what we used to call "citizen soldiers" which means they come back to face the same problems that everyone in their age group faces like unemployment and drug use. We do everything we can for Veterans with counseling and free education. It's a shame that certain factions use the statistics for political purposes. It seems that female Veterans are three times more likely to take their lives than non-veterans. Did liberal democrats do women a favor by authorizing them to serve in combat?

Yes.

Yes, it is a shame.

The right thinks it not enough so they will vote against raising the debt limit which will cause these numbers to rise

Fucking idiOt

In the work that I do, I see a lot of psychiatric issues with active military, including attempted suicide.

Many of them are facing the issues everyone has...divorce, financial issues, problems with work or chain of command, (boss/supervisor) family/relationship issues.

Some of them are just at the age where a mental disorder, such a bipolar, mood disorder, personality disorder, are ripe for their first their 'episode' and diagnosis. Being in the military could have nothing to do with it, or it could have been the triggering factor.

A lot are suffering from PTSD from one deployment or multiple. These young men and women, some of whom not long ago, were high school students, their biggest concern was passing a test or who to take the the prom, go into these siutations having learned to fight and defend, but are unprepared for the degree of hate and visciousness they encounter from the very people we are there trying to assist, at least according to the government spin on things. They are unprepared for the unevitable atrocities of war, some so horrid no one should be expected to wrap their head around and live with it.

Almost always, alcohol and/or some other substance abuse plays a part, generally used to drown out the pain, symptoms of PTSD or forget for just a while what they've been exposed to or what they are dealing with, just to cope.

Not even one of them has uttered a word about the debt ceiling as having contributed whatesoever to their problems.

That was not my point.

My point was the if we let the debt ceiling default happen more of those vets would go without treatment.

That was one of the many things the right was willing to play politics with.

That was not my point.

My point was the if we let the debt ceiling default happen more of those vets would go without treatment.

That was one of the many things the right was willing to play politics with.

This is an absurd assumption. There are certainly political issues behind all this, but the debt celing isn't it. I'm not sure how you can continue to make that claim in the face of hard evidence of someone whose work would suggest otherwise.

You know, TM. I saw the flame thread about you....I don't partake is flaming of members as I think it is just a disguise for schoolyard bullying and, is especially deplorable when mods participate. I was all ready to go in that topic and say so.....now...though I will not ever involve myself with flaming other members, I'm starting to think you got what was coming to you.

I just can't shake the notion that maybe if we let our militart win for once, things might not be so bad for them

~S~

18 x 365=6570

Now you will have to start hating math too to retain your historically failed ideas.

18 vets vs. 65 civilians.

I am still failing to see your stupid point.

And how many Vets do we have VS civilians?
Do Vets make up around 1/4 of our population?
If not the suicide rate is higher per capita among vets than civilians.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back