600+ Schools Closed Because of Swine Flu

I get sick of the hype also but my son has been sick for almost three weeks now, I thought he was better and then he has a fever again today. It scares the shit out of me too because of the weight he has lost.

Bingo. It's swine flu. And what happens when a kid is sick that long and loses that much weight, organs start shutting down.

Have you taken him to the hospital yet? Or do you, as a single mom using state health care continue to be told not to worry about it and stop wasting the time of the clinicians?

Trust your instincts and if you have to be a vociferous advocate. My sister, at the time a prosecuting attorney, dragged nurses and doctors into my room after I'd been in labor for three days and they kept sending me home. My baby's first apgar when he finally was born was something like 2. He was essentially dead. White, limp, not breathing. He would have died if she hadn't forced them to come in.

At delivery time, she had to round them up also, because when I finally did deliver, there was nobody around. They didn't even have time to set up the birthing bed. This after I told them repeatedly, once I reach 7 centimeters, get ready to catch because that's it. They didn't listen, they futzed around and left me alone for an hour at a time and I almost got to deliver my own baby. As it was I had a nurse HOLDING MY BABY IN to give the ER dr time to get upstairs to deliver.

If he's losing weight, he's dehydrated, and that's something that needs to be monitored because once it gets past a certain point the kidneys and liver shut down. The reason I have crappy credit is because I said fuck you to OHP and took my kids to the ER when they were sick. The one time I didn't, I waited and my little girl (3 months old) had been sick for a while, I made an appointment with her pediatrician who did an O2 test on her and they had 4 nurses in there in about 5 minutes, giving her oxygen and monitoring her for her O2 to come up, because if it didn't in 5 minutes, to the hospital she was going.

It did, but I had to nebulize her every 20 minutes to an hour for 3 more months...she had that other allegedly harmless virus..I can't remember what it's called...oh, that upper respiratory one.

Well if it keeps kids from getting sick, what can it hurt. It's not like they're LEARNING anything in there anyway.

I'm not against the flu virus - that is a family's decision.

I just don't care for all the hype and fear mongering surrounding all of this.

SARS, Bird Flu, Hunta virus, Swine Flu - I sincerely worry that when something legit and dangerous does come at us we are going to be so desensitized from all of these semi-hoaxes, that such an event will then do far greater harm.

See, I don't consider those "semi-hoaxes". Gone unchecked and without educating the public, they can be devastating.

What I resent is the fact that while on the one hand we're being told the swine flu is an epidemic, the CDC has decreed that unless a person goes to hospital, they don't need to be tested for it. So they will have no reliable stats about how dangerous it is.

Abortion is another one. There are no reliable statistics, because nobody in the abortion clinics is required to follow up, to pursue to truth, to even report accurately the numbers of late-term abortions or age of ppl who are aborting. In that way, they protect themselves from being PROSECUTED because of course as mandatory reporters, they should be reporting the underaged kids who are pregnant because it's illegal for underaged (I don't mean under 18, I mean under the age of consent in whatever state) kids to have sex.

In addition, they can puke out whatever stats they like, and everyone accepts it as gospel.

The truth is, this flu is killing kids in a population which usually isn't hit fataly by the flu. But we have no idea of the percentages, because nobody's testing them until they hit the hospitals.

___

I agree with all of that - except to note that the number of kids who died from this "swine flu" is a a miniscule amount - and almost all of them had underlying health conditions. For those families it is a tragedy - but the hysteria being spread to the vast majority of Americans is not appropriate.

Many times more kids are going to die in car accidents than the swine flu. Far more will be murdered by their own parents than die of the swine flu.

The swine flu hysteria does not align itself with the facts - period.

It's really sad how hysterical people are getting....Your child gets the flu and if he/she is healthy, they actually boost their immune system by fighting it off...
that crap in those shots that they have produced so quickly is TOXIC....

I don't know enough about the toxic claims - seems (maybe) folks on the no-vaccine side are getting just as hysterical as the "swine flu is a national emergency" folks. But in the end it's a family's decision - so to each their own on that.

I would just like to see the choice being made to vaccinate based upon sound reasoning - not outright fear produced by drama-plagued hysteria surrounding what is for the vast majority of the population, a mild version of the flu...

I'm on the no vaccine side, and I'm hardly hysterical:eek:...I just believe that this particular shot was produced rather quickly with little or no research on what possible side effects may occur...Now you have to remember some people are more sensitive to certain ingredients in these innoculations...My daughter had the flu last year, was in bed very sick for a week, and is a strong healthy child....I think it made her stronger...(my opinion)...
Also, some parents are at the Doctor when their kids stub their freakin toe??? While others let minor things run their course...
So, yes I agree it's a choice...but as with everything else everyone has an opinion

I agree with you - it's your choice - and your suspicion over this entire affair is certainly justified - and I share much of it with you...

I'm not against the flu virus - that is a family's decision.

I just don't care for all the hype and fear mongering surrounding all of this.

SARS, Bird Flu, Hunta virus, Swine Flu - I sincerely worry that when something legit and dangerous does come at us we are going to be so desensitized from all of these semi-hoaxes, that such an event will then do far greater harm.

See, I don't consider those "semi-hoaxes". Gone unchecked and without educating the public, they can be devastating.

What I resent is the fact that while on the one hand we're being told the swine flu is an epidemic, the CDC has decreed that unless a person goes to hospital, they don't need to be tested for it. So they will have no reliable stats about how dangerous it is.

Abortion is another one. There are no reliable statistics, because nobody in the abortion clinics is required to follow up, to pursue to truth, to even report accurately the numbers of late-term abortions or age of ppl who are aborting. In that way, they protect themselves from being PROSECUTED because of course as mandatory reporters, they should be reporting the underaged kids who are pregnant because it's illegal for underaged (I don't mean under 18, I mean under the age of consent in whatever state) kids to have sex.

In addition, they can puke out whatever stats they like, and everyone accepts it as gospel.

The truth is, this flu is killing kids in a population which usually isn't hit fataly by the flu. But we have no idea of the percentages, because nobody's testing them until they hit the hospitals.

___

I agree with all of that - except to note that the number of kids who died from this "swine flu" is a a miniscule amount - and almost all of them had underlying health conditions. For those families it is a tragedy - but the hysteria being spread to the vast majority of Americans is not appropriate.

Many times more kids are going to die in car accidents than the swine flu. Far more will be murdered by their own parents than die of the swine flu.

The swine flu hysteria does not align itself with the facts - period.

You don't know what the facts are, period, because it's not being monitored.

And there are no innoculations for car wrecks and child abuse. If only.

Hell, in 1918 people use to die from simple infections all the time.

My dad's sister died in that flu pandemic. S'truth.

Ppl continue to die from the flu and simple infections. It's not hysteria to take precautions against it. We are not SUPERBEINGS. We don't die the way we used to because we have better treatment and...gasp...innoculations.

Precautions are one thing ... this isn't what's happening here though. Have you not noticed the trend? How every year they hype up the flu then run short of vaccines while adding more taxes to pay for "emergency" production? The fear faded too much so they had to find some specific ones to start focusing on, and this one has been out of the public focus for so long people almost forgot about it, so it made the perfect one to hype. People fear what they don't understand more than what they do.

From my local rag:

Meanwhile, people planning to travel overseas for Christmas are being urged to vaccinate themselves against swine flu before they go because the pandemic is not yet over.

SA Chief Medical Officer Paddy Phillips said countries in the northern hemisphere were approaching winter and and an increasing number of people were being diagnosed with swine flu.

More than 360,000 doses of the free H1N1 vaccine have been distributed in SA and everyone aged over 10 is advised to get it.

"Were closely monitoring the situation in countries where winter is now beginning, and the rates of influenza-like illness in Ireland and parts of the UK are already much higher than normal, in fact there has been a 96 percent increase in cases in England in the past week," Professor Phillips said.

AdelaideNow... Man, 59, dies from swine flu

Just get the bloody vaccination, okay?

From my local rag:

Meanwhile, people planning to travel overseas for Christmas are being urged to vaccinate themselves against swine flu before they go because the pandemic is not yet over.

SA Chief Medical Officer Paddy Phillips said countries in the northern hemisphere were approaching winter and and an increasing number of people were being diagnosed with swine flu.

More than 360,000 doses of the free H1N1 vaccine have been distributed in SA and everyone aged over 10 is advised to get it.

"Were closely monitoring the situation in countries where winter is now beginning, and the rates of influenza-like illness in Ireland and parts of the UK are already much higher than normal, in fact there has been a 96 percent increase in cases in England in the past week," Professor Phillips said.

Hell no. ;)

From my local rag:

Hell no. ;)

:lol:

1. Ordinary flu kills elderly people with chronic conditions and young children with not yet fully developed immune systems.
2. H1N1 kills younger people who have no co-morbid conditiions.
3. H1N1 also kills people who have co-morbid conditions.

I've done the calculating. The only folks who are out of the woods are Superman and Green Lantern. If you ain't either then get the damn thing :cool:

At 1:00

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPb0ixsSwik]YouTube - sunshine superman-Donovan[/ame]

1. Getting sick once in a while actually makes you stronger so you don't notice getting sick as much after (if it doesn't kill you).

2. It's my life, my choice, force it and then you'll have something worse than the flu to worry about. ;)

3. H1N1 has been around for a looooooooooong time.

I know H1N1 has been around for a while. And in that time it's been killing people.

Influenza virus precedes the emergency of humanity. Ponder that.

The first case notes were written up by Hippocrates.

As is the case with most of our diseases we got them from animals. Our propensity to domesticate previously wild animals for our own needs made this a monty. See Aurochs.

What used to be diseases endemic to animals became endemic to humans.

Happily Edward Jenner sussed that out and led the way to an end to smallpox in humans.

It's a good idea to get vaccinated. But if you don't want to then far be it from me to insist.

That's only because I can't find a smiley that works with an absolute insistence that that should happen.

Sod it. Sometimes words aren't enough.

I know H1N1 has been around for a while. And in that time it's been killing people.

As is the case with most of our diseases we got them from animals. Our propensity to domesticate previously wild animals for our own needs made this a monty. See Aurochs.

Happily Edward Jenner sussed that out and led the way to an end to smallpox in humans.

It's a good idea to get vaccinated. But if you don't want to then far be it from me to insist.

That's only because I can't find a smiley that works with an absolute insistence that that should happen.

Then why is it so much more a threat now? That's the question not one scientist or medical professional has come up with a good answer to.

Then why is it so much more a threat now? That's the question not one scientist or medical professional has come up with a good answer to.

Why should they? Isn't it sufficient to tell us? I would imagine the epidemiologists can work through the data later but if there is an indication that it's a problem then I think the medical authorities should alert us before doing the historical studies.

They need to do a lot of work to work out why it's back as it is and for sure it will be useful but maybe we should take their advice and get the jab and wait for the research results later. Heck I'm a pretty cynical sort of bloke (I prefer to call myself a pragmatic realist) but on this one I've - as a total layman - read enough material (not professional journals only layperson stuff). I'm okay with it on balance. Of course this isn't Spanish Flu revisited and nor do I want to see it get to those proportions.

Why should they? Isn't it sufficient to tell us? I would imagine the epidemiologists can work through the data later but if there is an indication that it's a problem then I think the medical authorities should alert us before doing the historical studies.

They need to do a lot of work to work out why it's back as it is and for sure it will be useful but maybe we should take their advice and get the jab and wait for the research results later. Heck I'm a pretty cynical sort of bloke (I prefer to call myself a pragmatic realist) but on this one I've - as a total layman - read enough material (not professional journals only layperson stuff). I'm okay with it on balance. Of course this isn't Spanish Flu revisited and nor do I want to see it get to those proportions.

... or ... the threat level of it has not changed, merely the amount of attention they are giving it. ;)

Swine flu closes more than 600 schools in U.S. - Swine flu- msnbc.com

The federal government has urged schools to close because of the swine flu only as a last resort. But schools are closing by the dozens as officials say they are being hit so hard and so fast by the H1N1 virus that they feel shutting down for a few days is the only feasible option
I think it's silly to close the schools AFTER everyone has already been exposed. Unless the adults are also sick and can't keep order.

Forum List

Back