60 Percent Of Americans Soon Will Live In States With Marriage Equality

I thought conservatives were for less gov't interference. So why then regulate what two consenting adults do? From where are they getting their ideas from? As a lifelong Christian I don't understand their viewpoint. Please explain.

I thought conservatives were for less gov't interference. So why then regulate what two consenting adults do? From where are they getting their ideas from? As a lifelong Christian I don't understand their viewpoint. Please explain.

Kinda. When many conservatives say 'liberty' what they actually mean is liberty from Federal oversight. They want to do all sorts of crazy shit at the State level.

I mean, for fuck's sake, Texas was still regulating consensual sex between adults until 2004...when the last of its sodomy laws was overturned by the SCOTUS. And while they're unenforceable, they are still on the book in 6 southern states. From abortion to sex to civil rights to racial discrimination, many conservatives want to send the issue back to the States. Specifically, they want to strip US citizens of their federal protections, allow the States to decide. And then in many instances, to criminalize it.

Most arguments for 'liberty' among conservatives typically involve taking it away from someone else.

I've been married to my wife for 48 great years. She has been my inspiration. She advised me to take a chance and never look back when starting my own construction business. n She worked with 3rd grade students for 33 years. We had 3 wonderful kids and raised them and they are doing well. That being said, I don't see the huge issue with gay marriage. Why do some feel so threatened by it? I see it as a concocted issue.

I have been married to my wonderful, beautiful wife for over 20 years. I have no idea why Conservatives think my marriage would be at risk if Bob and Bill can get legally married.

I've been married to my partner of 20 years for six years now. No floods, famine or cats and dogs living together.

That's how delusions work, they normally only effect the dilussional and their enablers.

Doesn't mean delusions are good though

So you think that there have been famines and floods caused by her marriage- and she just hasn't noticed them?

LOL.....you lecturing a poster about delusions is delusional.

The total population of those states, based on 2013 estimates from the Census Bureau, is about 190 million. Just over 60 percent of the U.S. population now lives in a state where marriage equality soon will be legal.

And with Millennials coming into the mjority they stand out for voting heavily Democratic and for liberal views on many political and social issues, ranging from a belief in an activist government to support for same-sex marriage and marijuana legalization.

These findings are based on a new Pew Research Center survey conducted
Feb. 14-23, 2014 among 1,821 adults nationwide, including 617 Millennial adults, and analysis of other Pew Research Center surveys conducted between 1990 and 2014.

Millennials in Adulthood Pew Research Center s Social Demographic Trends Project
The total population of those states, based on 2013 estimates from the Census Bureau, is about 190 million. Just over 60 percent of the U.S. population now lives in a state where marriage equality soon will be legal.

And with Millennials coming into the mjority they stand out for voting heavily Democratic and for liberal views on many political and social issues, ranging from a belief in an activist government to support for same-sex marriage and marijuana legalization.

Feb. 14-23, 2014 among 1,821 adults nationwide, including 617 Millennial adults, and analysis of other Pew Research Center surveys conducted between 1990 and 2014.

Millennials in Adulthood Pew Research Center s Social Demographic Trends Project

There's goat fuckers here also....

This is unsurprisingly ignorant.

That private organizations aren't subject to 14th Amendment jurisprudence is fundamental Constitutional doctrine.

Government has never had the authority to compel religious organizations to perform a marriage ceremony for a same-sex couple; this is not and has never been part of the issue.

Consequently there is no 'start,' 'good' or otherwise.

But yet we see lawsuits against bakers, reception halls, wedding chapels, etc for refusing to deal with gay marriages.

Tell me, why would a gay couple want to do business with anyone who does not approve of their lifestyle?
Why did black (and white) college students want to do business with the Woolworth's Lunch Counter in Nashville?

because they had that right to. BTW, republicans passed the civil rights law in spite of fillibusters from prominent democrats.

Race and sexual orientation are not the same thing. One is a result of parentage and the other is a mental condition.

The discrimination is exactly the same...right down to the language the bigots use.

Wrong again

Really? Who does this sound like?

They cannot possibly have any progeny, and such a fact sufficiently justifies not allowing their marriage.

But yet we see lawsuits against bakers, reception halls, wedding chapels, etc for refusing to deal with gay marriages.

Tell me, why would a gay couple want to do business with anyone who does not approve of their lifestyle?
Why did black (and white) college students want to do business with the Woolworth's Lunch Counter in Nashville?

because they had that right to. BTW, republicans passed the civil rights law in spite of fillibusters from prominent democrats.

Race and sexual orientation are not the same thing. One is a result of parentage and the other is a mental condition.

The discrimination is exactly the same...right down to the language the bigots use.

Wrong again

They cannot possibly have any progeny, and such a fact sufficiently justifies not allowing their marriage.

Geez, this is 2014.

Your delusions are out of hand SillyWytch

Wrong again

Geez, this is 2014.

That was a quote about interracial marriage, bigot. Sound familiar?

What skylark says is bull and falsehoods and concoctions about what states want to do, as usual from Leftists. And what the other Ss don't git is that sexual orientation is a choice not a human condition, and in my mind in general is learned behavior for most not a natural condition. The other point as gay activists keep up the comparisons to blacks and women voting let's separate this fraud. Being black or a women is nothing you can change or do something about. Homosexuality is fungible and many rotate between gay and straight.

No one on these posts has argued that gays shouldn't be able to be gay, the argument is twofold, gays should not be able to mandate how non gays should treat them and gays should not be able to destroy foundational and societal constructs. Finally all who seem to support gaydom feel it is a more important issue than our nation. This is the divisive effect of Obama of divide and conquer, a national selfishness that has become a virus in our nation.

What skylark says is bull and falsehoods and concoctions about what states want to do, as usual from Leftists.

Its really not. Take Ron Paul. Paul insists that the Supreme Court no longer be allowed to rule on issues of Abortion. This is actually a power of congress, by the way. With the courts no longer able to rule on issues of abortion, he calls on the issue to be sent back to the States. And there he insists it be criminalized. That's what I described, to a T.

Stripping people of their federal rights, sending power back to the States and then criminalizing that behavior.

And the regulation of consensual sexual behavior? The way some of the southern states stopped is when the USSC stepped in and forced them to. That wasn't ancient history. That was around the 1st Season of Bones. Do you have the slightest doubt that given the opportunity, some of our more virulently red states wouldn't recriminalize sodomy? For crying out loud, they didn't stop criminalizing interracial sex until nearly the end of the Vietnam war. Of course some of them would put all sorts of restrictions on consensual sex.

Ever heard of Loving V. Virginia? I'm guessing you have. The part you probably didn't know was that they were arrested in a nighttime raid when the police broke into their house. They'd been hoping to catch them having sex, as interrracial sex in Virginia (then a fiercely conservative state) was a felony. Alas, the dastardly law breakers were only caught sleeping in their own beds in their own home.

The Feds just don't let the States do that anymore. These conservative states continued until the Feds stopped them. Which is entirely my point. Many States resent not being able to strip rights. You think Utah would have granted gays and lesbians the right to marry if they hadn't been forced to? Do you think they wouldn't strip that right in a heart beat if they could? This is exactly what I'm talking about.

The conceptualization of 'liberty' and 'freedom' in the minds of many conservatives is liberty from federal government oversight so they can strip rights and freedoms from groups and peoples they don't like at the State level. And many of the conservative states would embrace citizen v. citizen discrimination now. Its a veritable campaign cry that people should be 'free' to discriminate against gays. The Florist who was fined for refusing the serve gay customers is damn near a folk hero in some conservative circles. Which is also exactly what I described.

what the other Ss don't git is that sexual orientation is a choice not a human condition, and in my mind in general is learned behavior for most not a natural condition.

Yeah, interracial sex was described the same way until the Feds forced conservative states to abandon their laws forbidding it.....and their legal reasoning. The 'unnatural' angle was a hugely popular justification among State conservatives as I remember.

No one on these posts has argued that gays shouldn't be able to be gay, the argument is twofold, gays should not be able to mandate how non gays should treat them and gays should not be able to destroy foundational and societal constructs.

So 'liberty' in your mind would the 'freedom' for say, folks to deny gays service at lunch counters? Perhaps make them ride in the back of private buses? All too often the conservative conceptualization of 'freedom' and 'liberty' is discriminating, stripping of rights and treating others as less.

Finally all who seem to support gaydom feel it is a more important issue than our nation. This is the divisive effect of Obama of divide and conquer, a national selfishness that has become a virus in our nation.

So let me see I follow you. Since I (and most Americans) feel that gays should have the same rights as everyone else, be treated with the same courtesy and basic human dignity as anyone else, we don't care about the nation. Because.......you and your ilk don't like gay people. And by pushing for equal protection under the law we're dividing the nation.

If so, holy fuck, dude. You've raised bigotry, unequal protection under the law and homophobia to veritable national virtues and acts of patriotism.

Why is is comparatively rare to hear a conservatives talk about freedom and liberty in terms of treating others with dignity, equality and basic human respect? Its almost always in reference to treating others like shit.

Last edited:
“What skylark says is bull and falsehoods and concoctions about what states want to do, as usual from Leftists. And what the other Ss don't git is that sexual orientation is a choice not a human condition, and in my mind in general is learned behavior for most not a natural condition. The other point as gay activists keep up the comparisons to blacks and women voting let's separate this fraud. Being black or a women is nothing you can change or do something about. Homosexuality is fungible and many rotate between gay and straight.”

Incorrect.

The 5th Amendment's Liberty Clause protects the rights of citizens to make decisions concerning personal, private matters with regard to how one conducts his life and how one defines himself as an individual:

“The liberty protected by the Constitution allows homosexual persons the right to make this choice.”

LAWRENCE V. TEXAS

That one makes a choice with regard to whom he loves or wishes to marry is entitled to the same Constitutional protections as race, gender, and religious affiliation, where this choice is also immune from attack by the state.

I've been married to my wife for 48 great years. She has been my inspiration. She advised me to take a chance and never look back when starting my own construction business. n She worked with 3rd grade students for 33 years. We had 3 wonderful kids and raised them and they are doing well. That being said, I don't see the huge issue with gay marriage. Why do some feel so threatened by it? I see it as a concocted issue.

For some folks, its a State's rights issue. For others, its a deep seeded prejudice against gays and lesbians. If their marriages are recognized as being as legally valid as straight marriages, then its harder to demean, degrade or generally treat gays and lesbians as less. As their relationships are legally equivalent. For those with less rabid prejudices against gays, gay marriage stands as one of the last societal bastions of denomralization for people and sexual acts that they consider immoral.

To believe that something is wrong, is not prejudice. Its a belief based on knowledge of human biology.

I hold no prejudice against gays, ask any of my gay friends or relatives.

You on the left have to make this a prejudice issue because its the only way you can try to overcome common sense.

BTW, the voters of 30 states have voted against gay marriage. The people have spoken. But in liberal america the people no longer have a voice. The dictatorship of the minority controls.

This country is in serious condition.

Biology 101, go buy a textbook.

No one cares what two people or three people, or multiple people DO. But to call that a marriage is offensive to a majority of the people on planet earth.

Let gays legally commit to each other, give that union equality with a man/woman marriage. But a gay union is NOT a marriage.

But thats the issue with the gay agenda. They are trying to mandage societal acceptance by government dictate and FORCE the majority to change their basic beliefs regarding men and women. And, then to penalize any who dare to disagree with that government mandate.

This is much bigger than gay marriage. Wake up America.

Wrong again

Geez, this is 2014.

No, the bigotry was based on a superficial trait. This is not about a superficial trait.

We KNOW mixed races can procreate. We also KNOW same sex couplings can't.

“What skylark says is bull and falsehoods and concoctions about what states want to do, as usual from Leftists. And what the other Ss don't git is that sexual orientation is a choice not a human condition, and in my mind in general is learned behavior for most not a natural condition. The other point as gay activists keep up the comparisons to blacks and women voting let's separate this fraud. Being black or a women is nothing you can change or do something about. Homosexuality is fungible and many rotate between gay and straight.”

Incorrect.

The 5th Amendment's Liberty Clause protects the rights of citizens to make decisions concerning personal, private matters with regard to how one conducts his life and how one defines himself as an individual:

“The liberty protected by the Constitution allows homosexual persons the right to make this choice.”

LAWRENCE V. TEXAS

That one makes a choice with regard to whom he loves or wishes to marry is entitled to the same Constitutional protections as race, gender, and religious affiliation, where this choice is also immune from attack by the state.

Again, nobody gives a rip how you get off. Same sex coupling can't EVER produce children.

It is quite different and should not be treated as though the dynamic it creates makes no difference.

Clue, you ain't posting if same sex coupling was the norm.

Wrong again

Geez, this is 2014.

No, the bigotry was based on a superficial trait. This is not about a superficial trait.

You are as ignorant and bigoted as they were. They didn't see their bigotry and you don't see yours. Same bigots, different day and target. You're in fine company, bigot.

Wrong again

Geez, this is 2014.

You are as ignorant and bigoted as they were. They didn't see their bigotry and you don't see yours. Same bigots, different day and target. You're in fine company, bigot.

Your delusions make it impossible for you to see the obvious

That is your problem.

If you can't create another enabler, THEY must be a bigot

That is the problem with enablers, the delusioned never get past the delusions.

Pity really

Geez, this is 2014.

That is your problem.

Pity really

The "obvious" is that procreation has never been required for civil marriage and yet you want to make it one only for gays (who can and do procreate). That makes you an anti gay bigot. Wear it proudly old fella.

Geez, this is 2014.

That is your problem.

Pity really

The "obvious" is that procreation has never been required for civil marriage and yet you want to make it one only for gays (who can and do procreate). That makes you an anti gay bigot. Wear it proudly old fella.

What's obvious is that same sex couplings create zero children.

The fact that my kind does, makes your delusions, and your assertions laughable.

That is your problem.

Pity really

What's obvious is that same sex couplings create zero children.

The fact that my kind does, makes your delusions, and your assertions laughable.

"Your kind"? You mean bigots?

Government marriage is inequality, so this thread is boasting of equal inequality, it's an oxymoron.

Forum List

Back