6% of Scientists are Republican - not exactly accurate

R

rdean

Public Praises Science; Scientists Fault Public, Media: Section 4: Scientists, Politics and Religion - Pew Research Center for the People & the Press

528-52.gif

97% of scientists say we evolved. That would mean half the Republican scientists are included.

528-58.gif

A lot of disagreement between scientists and the public. Republicans are winning!

528-64.gif

Public Praises Science; Scientists Fault Public, Media: About the Survey - Pew Research Center for the People & the Press

Scientists surveyed were from the American Association for the Advancement of Science.

excluding those who were not based in the United States or whose membership type identified them as primary or secondary-level educators.

That means that teachers were excluded. Teachers voted overwhelmingly Democrat. So the actual percentage of Republicans who are scientists could be much less.

84% of our best educated types say the world is getting warmer because of human activity.
I think I will have to lean with them.

When you still believe the earth is flat it is sorta hard to be open minded enough to be on the 'light side.' ;)

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge." Daniel J. Boorstin

If we evolved from monkeys and apes, why have monkeys and apes stopped "evolving"?

Can you site one single laboratory experiment that shows how a doubling or tripling of CO2 can causes a measurable increase in temperature? Hell, quadruple it. Show me where a single lab experiment where an atmosphere of 1000/ppm CO2 causes a greater than 1 degree increase in temperature.

84% of our best educated types say the world is getting warmer because of human activity.
Or, here's a concept: if the science indicates that the world is getting warmer (as studying the climate is a science), I'll lean on that.

There is nothing scientific about deciding science by a poll.

Or, here's a concept: if the science indicates that the world is getting warmer (as studying the climate is a science), I'll lean on that.

Scientists also say we are in a solar output lull cycle. And when that is over we will really see global warming.

I find it hard to believe that with the millions of barrels of oil we burn daily and the coal that we burn and the forests we clear that we are not having an impact on our earth.

If we evolved from monkeys and apes, why have monkeys and apes stopped "evolving"?

Can you site one single laboratory experiment that shows how a doubling or tripling of CO2 can causes a measurable increase in temperature? Hell, quadruple it. Show me where a single lab experiment where an atmosphere of 1000/ppm CO2 causes a greater than 1 degree increase in temperature.

We didn't evolve from monkeys and apes. Primates evolved from a common ancestor.

You must have been asleep in science class. Or maybe when you were picking your nose you stabbed your brain? That could explain so much.

Scientists also say we are in a solar output lull cycle. And when that is over we will really see global warming.

I find it hard to believe that with the millions of barrels of oil we burn daily and the coal that we burn and the forests we clear that we are not having an impact on our earth.
[Empphasis added] That's fine. Believe as you wish. Science is not about beliefs, though. That's what religion is for.

We didn't evolve from monkeys and apes. Primates evolved from a common ancestor.

You must have been asleep in science class. Or maybe when you were picking your nose you stabbed your brain? That could explain so much.

Is that what happened to you?

Is that what happened to you?

bush_finger_web_2.jpg

SDO | Solar Dynamics Observatory

AIA_00136.jpg

Are you talking about Republicans?

Actually, there is nothing scientific about deciding science by a poll.

English challenges you.

Actually, there is nothing scientific about deciding science by a poll.

English challenges you.

There is nothing scientific about deciding science by a poll

Link?

I know plenty of GOPers who believe in evolution.

As for someone's comment about evolving from monkeys and apes, no one thinks we evolved from monkeys and apes, so it's a poor question.

Public Praises Science; Scientists Fault Public, Media: Section 4: Scientists, Politics and Religion - Pew Research Center for the People & the Press

528-52.gif

97% of scientists say we evolved. That would mean half the Republican scientists are included.

528-58.gif

A lot of disagreement between scientists and the public. Republicans are winning!

528-64.gif

Public Praises Science; Scientists Fault Public, Media: About the Survey - Pew Research Center for the People & the Press

Scientists surveyed were from the American Association for the Advancement of Science.

excluding those who were not based in the United States or whose membership type identified them as primary or secondary-level educators.

That means that teachers were excluded. Teachers voted overwhelmingly Democrat. So the actual percentage of Republicans who are scientists could be much less.

We all know that scientific truth is actually determined by consensus. I have never understood why anyone drags out polls trying to prove anything about science based on what percentage of people happen to believe something at the moment. Their BELIEFS are irrelevant because science is NOT a religion that requires belief and faith. No numbers of scientists who share the same belief and have faith in the same theory will ever make that theory "scientific fact". Not EVER. It doesn't work that way.

In 250 BC, a scientist named Aristarchus of Samos was the very first person to theorize the earth revolved around the sun. He was mocked and condemned for even suggesting such a thing and no one took his theory seriously ever -in fact, proposing it damaged his career. In 350 BC Aristotle theorized the sun, moon and all the planets revolved around the earth and THIS model prevailed for the next 1,800 YEARS as "scientific truth". Did the fact that there was a uniform consensus among scientists that the sun and planets all revolved around the earth make it TRUE? What did that consensus really PROVE? It proved a hell of a lot of people got it dead wrong and for a LOOOONG time. Do you really think when man clung to that BELIEF for the next 18 centuries it made for a sound foundation upon which to build further knowledge in the field of astronomy and cosmology or not? How could we learn anything of significance about the universe when we were wrong right off the bat about how the heavenly bodies we could see were even moving in space!

The fact scientists all agreed to BELIEVE in something that was all wrong did not make it true -and it only meant that once a SINGLE person got it right and everyone else on the planet was WRONG! What percentage of scientists would that represent do you think? And who would have been among those dragging out those polls to try and show how they really proved who was right on the issue? LOL

I don't give a crap about who believes what and in what percentage and offering them up as if it somehow proves who is correct or not - is an exercise in the useless and it can never prove any such thing. Scientific fact is never determined by a popularity contest. How many people may believe something to be true will NEVER make something true and factual. The reality is that for every time scientists got something right -they got it wrong hundreds of times and with some things, thousands of times, first. And that ratio has never changed throughout our history. It is the nature of science itself. There have been many so times throughout history where what most people believed to be true -turned out to be nothing but useless bullshit. You'd think our species had at least "evolved" to the point we finally caught on to that.

Why would even 6% be republican?

Is there something wrong with them?

Forum List

Back