6 measles cases in Minn.; more expected

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by Shadow, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Shadow

Shadow BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +926
    MINNEAPOLIS — State health officials have confirmed six cases of juvenile measles this month in Hennepin County and caution more could be on the way in areas where parents have been reluctant to vaccinate their kids.

The Minnesota Department of Health confirmed the fifth and sixth cases on Friday. Three of the kids are from the Somali community, where some parents have been afraid to immunize their children over fears of the vaccine's safety.

Health officials are racing to ease those fears and persuade parents to get their kids vaccinated.

"Contrary to misinformation that may still be circulating, the measles vaccine is safe and effective. Without it, the risk of disease is real," said Dr. Edward Ehlinger, the commissioner of the state health department. "Children can die from measles."

The health department first reported two weeks ago that it was investigating a case of measles in a Minneapolis infant. It reported three more cases Thursday and two more Friday.

6 measles cases in Minn.; more expected - Health - Infectious diseases - msnbc.com

2. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,387
    I thought such vaccinations were manditory.

3. Shadow

Shadow BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +926
    Apparently they are not. Here is another article talking about Measles cases being on the rise in the US..

Snip...

Measles Prevention

Vaccination is the best prevention, and maintaining high vaccine coverage rates affords herd immunity, which decreases risk for exposure and protects those who cannot be vaccinated.3 Of the 131 measles cases reported in 2008, 91% did not receive vaccination or could not have their vaccination status verified. Of these patients, 66% went unvaccinated because of philosophical or religious beliefs.

U.S. Measles Cases on the Rise

U.S. Measles Cases on the Rise on ADVANCE for NPs & PAs

4. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    It's amazed me that 'the most concerned and among the most educated of parents' bought into the hoax of Wakefield and The Lancet. Ignorance can be the only excuse because the medical community has been warning of the inevitability of breakouts and resulting deaths for years:

David Ropeik: Wakefield Debunked, But Vaccine Fear Lives

5. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    You younger generations are wimps.

Measles?

We boomers all got them.

And those of us who survived are now sweating out getting Shingles in our dotage.

Suffering like that builds character.

6. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,121
    Shingles is caused by the virus that causes chicken pox, not measles.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,121
    No, you can get exemptions for it. Just sign the form and if an outbreak occurs you have to yank your kid from school. It may vary from state to state so you'd have to check.

We never had our youngest receive any vaccinations after she was 5. She never received whatever they require to enter kindergarten or any other shots they require I think in 7th grade? Because her older brother was dx'd in the autism spectrum and at the time we didn't know if vaccinations were part of the problem or not we decided to have her titers checked first, before making any decisions. Turns out she was fully vaccinated for everything except I think whooping cough, which showed she was vaccination but not as fully as everything else. (Hope that made sense). I asked the doctor if she received the required shots would she be any more protected, any more 'vaccinated' if you will. The doc's answer? Nope. So we didn't do anything.

In light of the whole vaccination thing being debunked we're thinking about having her get those shots now but would again have her titers checked first. I mean, she received however many vaccinations prior to age five . . . I've never received any vaccinations since I was that age (and that was a loooong time ago) . . . are we both still protected? :dunno:

I don't have a problem with vaccinations per se, but I do have a problem with so many being administered all before age two. I don't know how well a brand new human babby can handle all of that, so much is still developing in them .,.. it makes sense to me but maybe it's just ridiculous thinking on my part . . . . ? If I knew then what I know now I'd likely still have my kids vaccinated but have them spread out further and wouldn't ever start the vaccinations until a later age . . . possibly starting around 18 months or so.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  8. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,387
    Daughter will be attending a summer arts school with a large international student pop. They've got some strict requirements re: vaccinations. We were freaking at the thought of her getting several shots at once, but were relieved to find out the only one she never had was the meningitis. That one is usually given before they go off to college, so she'll likely need another in a few years.

BTW Z-B... that avatar... giving me flashbacks. Make it stop! :D

9. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,121
    We didn't do the meningitis one either (for the college kid). I read the info and the chances of getting it were so so small and there are always risks involved with vaccinations so . . . for now, it's a no.

My avi was only used so I could use the tag line under my user name. It's from Denis Leary's character in Rescue Me. His character is such a cynical asssshole . . . I love it! :lol:

10. FuelRod

FuelRod Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +924
    I bet you were just "itchin'" to start this thread. ;) :lol: