$6.99 Old Hickory Knife

What is the attraction of an Old Hickory Knife?

Old Hickory knives are awesome. The blades are the perfect thickness for peeling potatoes or fruits and vegetables. They are the easiest blades to sharpen and last for years. I have one that's been in use for 38 years. I don't recommend putting them in the dishwasher because of the wooden handles. I like them all but couldn't function in the kitchen without their 4" paring knife.

oops. didn't realize this was about the tactical knives and not the kitchen knives.

Old Hickory knives are awesome. The blades are the perfect thickness for peeling potatoes or fruits and vegetables. They are the easiest blades to sharpen and last for years. I have one that's been in use for 38 years. I don't recommend putting them in the dishwasher because of the wooden handles. I like them all but couldn't function in the kitchen without their 4" paring knife.

It says "tactical", but it's really an Old Hickory Sticker...just like the ones you are referencing. :thup:

What would you use it for?
It appears to be double edged with no quillion or guard?
Accident waiting to happen.
They are good quality steel. Great for modding, and rehandling. I see at least one boot knife in the works. Another will likely get serrated on one edge for a utility knife. Dual purpose and great for cutting strapping, and cordage.

Vel has it pegged... Good full tang 1095 carbon steel stamped knives at very reasonable prices.
Thanks, I’ll have to check one out

The picture does not look that impressive, but a good knife is always welcome

I usually make them into something else.

20161117_211742_zpst2rewbrh.JPG
^^^ This one was an Old Hickory 7" boning knife
Now a canadian belt knife.

20171008_182215-548x377.jpg
Formerly an O.H. 6" skinner
Now a modified Svord 677

20171119_233959-535x535.jpg

Made from an O.H. 7" butcher
Modified Kephart pattern camp knife

Last edited:

Already working on that...

Removed the scales (they aren't glued, just push riveted) and cut down the full tang to a hidden tang. Going to add a brass guard and stacked leather handle.

491a76bd9d66473f8d7618ebf8e0f96f65de77a0-1S_1280.jpg

They are good quality steel. Great for modding, and rehandling. I see at least one boot knife in the works. Another will likely get serrated on one edge for a utility knife. Dual purpose and great for cutting strapping, and cordage.
Exactly...great ideas. I was wondering what to do with my 2nd one...boot knife sounds like just the ticket. :thup:

Bleeding hogs is what it was originally designed for and still used for. Commonly used in slaughterhouses.

I got knives, and I got Knives.

I just got a machete with a saw blade for like..$6.

I think I'll seek out a bushaxe next. Them things got some whomp to them.

I've butchered a deer with a Case knife with a broken tip.

Oh, teh blade is sharp. My uncle gave me it.

I sharpened the blade.

I can't even find my favorite knife, just some stainless lockblade I could shave with.

Forum List

Back