6.3 earthquake strikes in Gulf of California

MindWars

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2016
6.3-magnitude earthquake strikes in Gulf of California
GULF OF CALIFORNIA (KABC) --
A preliminary-magnitude 6.3 earthquake struck Friday morning in the Gulf of California, just west of Mexico's Sinaloa state.
----------------------------------------------------------------

The quakes have been getting pretty big these past few days. Then we have that thingy that was suppose to past real close to earth , a few meteors have hit here in the US one being in Detroit most recently...

Hmmmmm

A preliminary-magnitude 6.3 earthquake struck Friday morning in the Gulf of California, just west of Mexico's Sinaloa state.

The quakes have been getting pretty big these past few days. Then we have that thingy that was suppose to past real close to earth , a few meteors have hit here in the US one being in Detroit most recently...

Hmmmmm
A friend of mine who lives in Ann Arbor got it on cell phone video.

• Banned

Hmmmmm

That would have been a cool site, I saw a few videos of it myself. Looked like a whopper .

Hmmmmm

That would have been a cool site, I saw a few videos of it myself. Looked like a whopper .
I bet meteorite hunters are having a field day.

When I was in 7th grade one of our science homework assignments was to collect and identify rocks. I could not identify one of the rocks I found. It had the teacher baffled too until he noticed that it attracted magnets and then cut it in half with a grinder to see what it looked like inside. Turned out that it was an iron meteorite. AFAIK that rock I found is still at the school.

• Banned
A 6.5 magnitude earthquake has struck off the coast of Loreto in Mexico amid fears of the Big One striking in the Gulf of California. The epicenter of the quake, which struck at about 10 am local time (4pm UK time), was 6.2 miles (10km) below the surface. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) has not yet issued a tsunami warning for the West Coast of the US. The news comes amid heightened fears of California being rocked by a magnitude 7.0 earthquake or greater, known as the ‘Big One’.
Strong 6.5 Quake strikes off coast of Loreto, Mexico, Fears of “Big One” striking Gulf of California.

This one says they are worried about the fault line.

It's been exceptionally quiet up here in Alaska. Nothing really worth mentioning has happened over the past couple weeks. We are having our typical gads of smaller quakes but not much in the >3.0 range - a bit unusual to my recollection since we typically have something in the 5.0 range every week, but I honestly don't pay enough attention to make any definitive theories. I've always had a general idea that big slips down south reflect up here, and big slips up here reflect elsewhere as well, but that's really all I've done on it; geology was never one of my major interests outside of "I like pretty rocks" heh

It's been exceptionally quiet up here in Alaska. Nothing really worth mentioning has happened over the past couple weeks. We are having our typical gads of smaller quakes but not much in the >3.0 range - a bit unusual to my recollection since we typically have something in the 5.0 range every week, but I honestly don't pay enough attention to make any definitive theories. I've always had a general idea that big slips down south reflect up here, and big slips up here reflect elsewhere as well, but that's really all I've done on it; geology was never one of my major interests outside of "I like pretty rocks" heh

Yeah looks like you guys are getting some pretty light and little ones LOL

a910a3be-e131-480a-b25f-01c7bb70bed5.png

RSOE EDIS - - Event reports (Earthquakes, events, tropical storms, tsunamies and others)

I guess I should have kept my mouth shut, we just got rocked up here about 15m ago. Preliminary report is an 8.2 just east of Kodiak. ( M 8.2 - 278km SE of Kodiak, Alaska )

We got a slow roll up north here for what felt like 5 minutes (that's how they say the great quake in the 60s was too, except we didn't get the heavy jerks they got back then.)

Hopefully Kodiak rode it out alright, the news hasn't caught up yet.

Just as an update, they downgraded it to 7.9. Also all the reports from Kodiak are 4's (which is like stuff on the shelf rattled but didn't fall off, maybe some cracked plaster, etc.)

Houses up here are designed to handle 8s easily, and can go to 9+ before it becomes dangerous so all's good.

Forum List

Back