$6,000.00 Signing Bonus - We Want You - For Burger King

rcajun90 said:
How much should someone be paid for catching a football? Whatever the market will bear. They don't get it all at one time but get it spaced out through the year. Good old fashion capitalism. Simple supply and demand.

Certainly not as much as they make.. However, there's still an element of danger to the game, and it's exceptionally physical, thus hard work, and hard training is required..

rcajun90 said:
How much should someone be paid for catching a football? Whatever the market will bear. They don't get it all at one time but get it spaced out through the year. Good old fashion capitalism. Simple supply and demand.

grew up in a world of what one would call..."Middle Class" played football in HS and college....not exactly pro-material....but I did have fun...went on to be a productive member of society...non-the-less...kudos!

archangel said:
grew up in a world of what one would call..."Middle Class" played football in HS and college....not exactly pro-material....but I did have fun...went on to be a productive member of society...non-the-less...kudos!

Played football myself is HS but I wasn't college material. Some great life lessons are learned in the game and it does build character. Wasn't saying anything bad about the game. They get paid what they do because they are so
good at it. Simple Economics 101. Few people can do what they do and the they are in high demand for their talent. It bothers me a bit they get paid so much but hey that is how capitalism works. I do think that some day the NFL will price themselves out of the market. Last year I was going to take the family to a Saints game and I was looking at 500 bucks for fair seats. Sorry I can't afford that for three hours of entertainment.

rcajun90 said:
Apparently you have never watched the Saints play. :laugh:

You're right.. I've probably sat through 3 football games in my entire life.. It just doesn't do much for me. :) But I do still think they're way overpaid.

Nuc said:
I agree with almost everything here. I just think that the current minimum wage is almost by definition exploitative. Maybe it's OK for a teenybopper flipping burgers on his first job, but when an adult is being paid too little they're being exploited. I understand your argument about raising oneself up, but there are plenty of semi-retarded, confused, handicapped, uneducated people who must work minimum wage jobs because they can't do anything else. They'll never be able to rise to the next level of society, but they're willing to work, why not give them a little dignity?
Come on Nuc, what does the age of an employee have to do with compensation?
Why should one make more or less due to age?
Why should someone that is:
semi-retarded, confused, handicapped, uneducated people who must work minimum wage jobs because they can't do anything else.
... receive more than they’re worth?

rcajun90 said:
Played football myself is HS but I wasn't college material. Some great life lessons are learned in the game and it does build character. Wasn't saying anything bad about the game. They get paid what they do because they are so
good at it. Simple Economics 101. Few people can do what they do and the they are in high demand for their talent. It bothers me a bit they get paid so much but hey that is how capitalism works. I do think that some day the NFL will price themselves out of the market. Last year I was going to take the family to a Saints game and I was looking at 500 bucks for fair seats. Sorry I can't afford that for three hours of entertainment.

anyone who would watch grown ups chase a pig ball around a field and pay $500.00 is in my opinion a V-8 firing on 4 cylinders..Hey I loved the game...but never in my greatest imagination ever thought that if I was good enough...people would pay this kind of money to see me have fun...Football is a participant sport which I loved....I rarely watch it now except for maybe the 'Rose Bowl' or other college bowls to watch amateurs have fun...as for the pros....well just old farts that are overpaid...IMO!

I work at Petsmart in the Doggy Day Camp. I play with dogs all day and then clean up the rooms when we're done. I make $9/hour. Honestly, at my age, that's awesome. I work about 4-5 days a week maybe 5 hours a day, give or take a couple of hours depending on what's going on.

My paychecks are around 200, but then BOOM here comes the taxes, my first paycheck would have been $228 but with taxes it went down to $185, crippling, if you ask me.

But, also, I blame the low paychecks on my company, for some reason we're the only place that pays every week that I know of in my area. Usually its a paycheck every 2 weeks, here at Petsmart it's every week which has it's advantages and disadvantages.

Nuc said:
I agree with almost everything here. I just think that the current minimum wage is almost by definition exploitative. Maybe it's OK for a teenybopper flipping burgers on his first job, but when an adult is being paid too little they're being exploited. I understand your argument about raising oneself up, but there are plenty of semi-retarded, confused, handicapped, uneducated people who must work minimum wage jobs because they can't do anything else. They'll never be able to rise to the next level of society, but they're willing to work, why not give them a little dignity?

I see alot of "retarded" people working in these positions. Which tells you, how hard can these jobs be? For example, there's a "retard" that works at Wawa near me (a nicer 7/11 for those that arent from the northeast). He seems somewhat coherent but then starts humming and gyrating loudly while doing his work filling the coffee lids, straws, sugar packets, cleaning the counter and sweeping the floor. I go in there almost everyday so he knows me and i say hi. He's generally very happy. Ive seen him almost everday for a year so i asked him one day how much people made at Wawa. He said he was making $8.50. Whether thats true or not, i dont know. But i'll take him at his word. He gets paid at a nice facility more then $8/hr to fill trays, clean counters and sweep floors. Not a very challenging job or one thats gonna take him far, but he does it with a smile and is generally happy which is more than i can say about most of the kids Ive seen at jobs. That could also be because of his handicap that he sees the world differently but he's not exploited. Also at this particular Wawa, the same group of people have been working there ever since ive been going there. Usually you get high turnover in jobs like that. This particular one must be good because people stay and are generally well tempered.

In my opinion, this is the kind of business model GOOD businesses should and do use. Pay their employees a reasonable salary for which the job requires and that employees are willing to work for. Provide a clean and comfortable environment and people will want to work for you. If you offer min wage to do tedious jobs in a shitty place then more then likely people arent going to work for you and if they do not for very long. Simple business practice. Treat your employees well and they will treat the business well and want to stay.

Why does the government have to force these bad businesses to change their practices instead of the consumer deciding where they want to purchase goods and services? Government involvement in ANYTHING is bad.

If their minimum wage job at 40 hours a week isn't paying them enough, then they can always work more hours or get another job.

40 hours a week really isn't that much to work. With 60 hours, they just increased their income by 50 percent.

speederdoc said:
If their minimum wage job at 40 hours a week isn't paying them enough, then they can always work more hours or get another job.

40 hours a week really isn't that much to work. With 60 hours, they just increased their income by 50 percent.

I respect fast food workers. I could do the burger flipping with the best of them
but can you imagine working the counters during rush hour? I've never worked fast food in my life and I never want to do it. I'm not to good for it but I don't think I could handle it. Who here has ever done that on this board in major city? It must be crazy at noon.

rcajun90 said:
...can you imagine working the counters during rush hour? I've never worked fast food in my life and I never want to do it. I'm not to good for it but I don't think I could handle it. Who here has ever done that on this board in major city? It must be crazy at noon.
(raises hand)

My first job was at a Pizza place in the mall in Houston. I made $3 an hour plus all the food and drinks I wanted. At age 15, I hurt them more with the food than the money.

I then worked frying chicken at Grandy's for a year. I have fried more chicken than anyone here, I bet. Dirty job. They wouldn't let me in front of the counter though.

Fast food jobs are stressful, no doubt. But 8 hours a day for 5 days a week really isn't working that hard, no matter the job.

rcajun90 said:
I respect fast food workers. I could do the burger flipping with the best of them
but can you imagine working the counters during rush hour? I've never worked fast food in my life and I never want to do it. I'm not to good for it but I don't think I could handle it. Who here has ever done that on this board in major city? It must be crazy at noon.

Never worked at a big chain but i did work at Sesame Place in the main restaurant. Its usually busy all day except towards the end of the day. Two times a day, there was a parade. After the parade was over, all the people would come to eat. There would be a line out the door to get food. ITs cafeteria style so you try to keep as much food up there as possible. You have to motor through the specialty orders and get the people on their way. It gets pretty insane for about an hour or so but otherwise it was manageable. I literally made $5.15 at that job. I worked 40 hours a week at 16 years old for 3.5 months in the summer. I ended up with enough to buy a $2000 car at the end.

It was my first job and i learned what it meant to work. My job in the winter i made $5.50/hr. My job in the summer at Sesame the following year i made 6.15 by moving to a different area. In that winter i made 5.75 at Sears. I then went to target and made 6.50. By the time i was done at Target i made 7.85. I then went to Best Buy and started at 7.85. I ended at 9.85. I then got a job under the table making $300 a week for 25 hours of work. I then got a job at the IRS making 12.45 for seasonal work.

This was all in my 8 years of working. I went from 5.15 to 12.45. Im not planning on staying at 12.45. So how is it that i managed to upgrade myself in positions over the course of these 8 years to make more then double what i started but people are stuck in a min wage job?

My first job was working at 'Crazy's burgers...me and my best bud conned our way into the job...this was pre...Mickey D's...we provided the apron with logo and had our own pick-up-trash sticks....worked for free burgers and cokes...was a blast and filled the tummy....damn I miss the innocent old days!

speederdoc said:
(raises hand)

My first job was at a Pizza place in the mall in Houston. I made $3 an hour plus all the food and drinks I wanted. At age 15, I hurt them more with the food than the money.

I then worked frying chicken at Grandy's for a year. I have fried more chicken than anyone here, I bet. Dirty job. They wouldn't let me in front of the counter though.

Fast food jobs are stressful, no doubt. But 8 hours a day for 5 days a week really isn't working that hard, no matter the job.

I would agree that an 8 hour day 5 days a week isn't that hard depending on the job you are doing. I reguarly work a 12 hour day but it's in a office. I doubt if I could do that with more physically demanding job. Especially as I get more grey. I would lose my mind behind a counter of a fast food joint if I worked it 6 much less 12 hours. Perhaps others could handle it fine.

insein said:
Never worked at a big chain but i did work at Sesame Place in the main restaurant. Its usually busy all day except towards the end of the day. Two times a day, there was a parade. After the parade was over, all the people would come to eat. There would be a line out the door to get food. ITs cafeteria style so you try to keep as much food up there as possible. You have to motor through the specialty orders and get the people on their way. It gets pretty insane for about an hour or so but otherwise it was manageable. I literally made $5.15 at that job. I worked 40 hours a week at 16 years old for 3.5 months in the summer. I ended up with enough to buy a $2000 car at the end.

It was my first job and i learned what it meant to work. My job in the winter i made $5.50/hr. My job in the summer at Sesame the following year i made 6.15 by moving to a different area. In that winter i made 5.75 at Sears. I then went to target and made 6.50. By the time i was done at Target i made 7.85. I then went to Best Buy and started at 7.85. I ended at 9.85. I then got a job under the table making $300 a week for 25 hours of work. I then got a job at the IRS making 12.45 for seasonal work.

This was all in my 8 years of working. I went from 5.15 to 12.45. Im not planning on staying at 12.45. So how is it that i managed to upgrade myself in positions over the course of these 8 years to make more then double what i started but people are stuck in a min wage job?

A classic success story. I wish I had one as good as you. I worked on a charter fishing boat in my teens. Hard work preping the boat for the customers but I reguarly made a $100 plus dollars a day fishing and all the beer I could con the customers into giving me. From there I went to college and found a good job after that. Damn why did I go to college? I miss those days. :thup:

rcajun90 said:
I did as a teen in Atlanta. I worked for McDonalds before I was 16, and that was before the days of computer cash registers, we took the order on pads with a pencil and really had to count change, GASP!!!!.

insein said:

Well, for starters, I'm assuming when you started at 5.15 you had no expenses, but correct me if I'm wrong. You were living in your parent's house with your parents paying for food. You probably made at most 2500 for the summer and put 80% of it into a car. If you didn't have your parent's to lean on, would it have been as easy?

you know whats really retarded? why are they doing that? you would think after the hurricanes people would be lining up to work

Forum List

Back