$6,000.00 Signing Bonus - We Want You - For Burger King

nosarcasm said:
minimum wage should be at least 8$ an hour. 320$ a week.

Just enough for an one bedroom apartment + used car + food

no bigscreens in that imo

Ok so then when a company that employs 10 people at $7/hr has to let go of 2 people to make up for the now mandatory wage of $8/hr, that company loses production and 2 people lose their jobs. 8 people make a dollar more and 2 people make $7 dollars less. What then do you propose to do for those people who are now out of a job because a company has a budget to make on employee payroll?

Minimum wage jobs are not meant to be a means to live. With that, you still can live with 1 person on minimum wage. 5.15 x40= $206 a week. Works out to about $892/mo. After taxes thats about $750. Thats enough to afford a very cheap apartment ($400-500) and food and gas. No tv. No internet. No luxury items. The bare neccessities. You can't live comfortably on minimum wage, but you can live, eat and have a place to sleep.

The point is for people to strive for better than minimum wage. Look in the paper. 99% of the jobs you see in the paper are all $8 or more and most are for way more than that. Thats just the paper. Go to any retail store. They will offer $8-10 starting wages in most areas. The point is they arent mandated to have a wage that high, but they do it within their budget to attract workers. If you raise the wage too high, then those companies that cant afford it won't hire as many people. Then those people that were barely making it at minimum wage have no wage.

Let's look why people are making minimum wage.

1. Education - how did they do in school? Did they work hard, get good grades - did Mom and/or Dad influence them positively in this area? What about college? Grants, scholarships, etc?

2. Past work experience - Are they job-hopping? Or have they stayed with one company long enough to receive more training and promotions?

3. Or do they just care about putting gas in their car, doing just enough to get by. Showing up to work 5 minutes late every day and end up getting fired.

Even people who work fast-food (since we are talking a lot about that) can work their way up to supervisor positions and possibly into the management side of the business.

Krystal's offered a guy who works for me a District Manager position. $60,000.00 a year to start. No college degree, no fast food experience. All he had to do with be on call 24 hours a day and work 60 hours a week for a couple of years until he can get "set" in the position.

He turned it down because of his new born twins....but the offer was there.

GotZoom said:
Let's look why people are making minimum wage.

1. Education - how did they do in school? Did they work hard, get good grades - did Mom and/or Dad influence them positively in this area? What about college? Grants, scholarships, etc?

2. Past work experience - Are they job-hopping? Or have they stayed with one company long enough to receive more training and promotions?

3. Or do they just care about putting gas in their car, doing just enough to get by. Showing up to work 5 minutes late every day and end up getting fired.

Even people who work fast-food (since we are talking a lot about that) can work their way up to supervisor positions and possibly into the management side of the business.

Krystal's offered a guy who works for me a District Manager position. $60,000.00 a year to start. No college degree, no fast food experience. All he had to do with be on call 24 hours a day and work 60 hours a week for a couple of years until he can get "set" in the position.

He turned it down because of his new born twins....but the offer was there.

Let's for once in your life be honest....Corporations will keep the wage down to satisfy the investors.(Wall Street) the best return on investment..that seems to be 'illegal alien' wages...now from my perspective as one who earned minimum wages as well as very good wages...well not rocket science here...I would prefer to be served a burger from a content worker rather than one from a 'illegal alien' or disgrunteled worker who may spit or far worse in my burger to register a complaint about the wages...just a "Hicks opinion"

archangel said:
Let's for once in your life be honest....Corpoartions will keep the wage down to satisfy the investors.(Wall Street) the best return on investment..that seems to be 'illegal alien' wages...now from my perspective as one who earned minimum wages as well as very good wages...well not rocket science here...I woiuld prefer to be served a burger fro a content worker rather tahn one from a 'illega alien' of disgrunteled worker who may spit or far worse in in my burger to register a complaint about the wages...just a "Hicks opinion"

No body should hire illegal aliens.

As far as a disgruntled worker: Why is he disgruntled? If it shows in the quality of his work, he should be fired. Management can get involved in making them gruntled and perform better; thus giving him/her a raise, etc.

And if your food is being tampered with, complain to corporate. If enough people complain, they will fix the situation - if not, they won't have any customers, and end up going out of business.

GotZoom said:

As far as a disgruntled worker: Why is he disgruntled? If it shows in the quality of his work, he should be fired. Management can get involved in making them gruntled and perform better; thus giving him/her a raise, etc.

And if your food is being tampered with, complain to corporate. If enough people complain, they will fix the situation - if not, they won't have any customers, and end up going out of business.

however get with the 'real world' if ya want to eat 'shit'..be my guest...being so honorable in the 'corporate world' does not help me when I want to enjoy a germ free burger!...grow up or go back to 'real life' school 101!

GotZoom said:

I agree with what you're saying, but it's a bit idealistic to expect that this would happen, IMO.

archangel said:
however get with the 'real world' if ya want to eat 'shit'..be my guest...being so honorable in the 'corporate world' does not help me when I want to enjoy a germ free burger!...grow up or go back to 'real life' school 101!

My real world must be different than yours. I make sure I eat at places that I haven't heard bad things about. The have their "Health Inspection" stickers in plain view. I'm nice to the people at the counter.

It isn't that hard NOT to be cynical.

The ClayTaurus said:
I agree with what you're saying, but it's a bit idealistic to expect that this would happen, IMO.
You know on this min wage thing, I think it is a bit unrealistic to expect someone will tamper with food because of their wage. Hey, they accepted the job at XXX pay right? So why would they do such a thing. Out of frustration?
Not good enough and it's criminal to boot.

Mr. P said:
You know on this min wage thing, I think it is a bit unrealistic to expect someone will tamper with food because of their wage. Hey, they accepted the job at XXX pay right? So why would they do such a thing. Out of frustration?

People with a minimum wage job accept it under the pretenses of having a minimum wage job or living off of welfare. It might be immoral for them to be pissed off and tamper with food because they're making jack shit, but it's definitely unrealistic to expect that it won't happen just because it's immoral. Especially when there are some people who have a total lack of respect for people in the service industry.

You can make the argument that people shouldn't do something because it's criminal, but it won't stop everyone from doing it because some people don't care about it being criminal. So, you can either try and lock everyone up, or perhaps change your way of doing things to reduce the criminal activity without locking people up. Both will cost money, it becomes a question of which will cost more. Incarceration, or increasing the minimum wage.

I think people should be paid what their labor is worth. Legally, that's whatever the employer is willing to pay. I'm really not a big believer in minimum wage, as I've never lived in a state with its own minimum wage laws (federal only), and I've never seen anybody who works for that little. In a free market economy, the price of labor is the lowest price an employer can pay and still fill all of his positions. If labor is scarce, the price goes up. If labor is plentiful, the price goes down. It's like any other service, dependant on supply and demand.

Mr. P said:

gotta love ya...but this is not the real world...where have ya been for the last several decades...law is just a proverbial thingee...can't control the actions of those bent on perversion....to say they accepted the proverbial wage is a guarantee of clean food to eat....sorry dude this is why I cook at home...if ya get my drift...only the yuppies eat this 'shit'....lol :eek:

The ClayTaurus said:
People with a minimum wage job accept it under the pretenses of having a minimum wage job or living off of welfare. It might be immoral for them to be pissed off and tamper with food because they're making jack shit, but it's definitely unrealistic to expect that it won't happen just because it's immoral. Especially when there are some people who have a total lack of respect for people in the service industry.

You can make the argument that people shouldn't do something because it's criminal, but it won't stop everyone from doing it because some people don't care about it being criminal. So, you can either try and lock everyone up, or perhaps change your way of doing things to reduce the criminal activity without locking people up. Both will cost money, it becomes a question of which will cost more. Incarceration, or increasing the minimum wage.

This conduct is symptom of low class ignorant behavor, it has nothing at all to do with wage. Yes, it is criminal, but I wouldn't argue jailing these MORONS, I'd argue not hiring them to start with. How many people would that involve? Very few IMO.

archangel said:
gotta love ya...but this is not the real world...where have ya been for the last several decades...law is just a proverbial thingee...can't control the actions of those bent on perversion....to say they accepted the proverbial wage is a guarantee of clean food to eat....sorry dude this is why I cook at home...if ya get my drift...only the yuppies eat this 'shit'....lol :eek:
LOL...I grew up in and around resturants..That is why I eat at home.

If I do eat out, I can tell you everything that's going on in the place just by observation. Can't see into most kitchens, but I know I really don't won't to either. :eek:

Mr. P said:
This conduct is symptom of low class ignorant behavor, it has nothing at all to do with wage. Yes, it is criminal, but I wouldn't argue jailing these MORONS, I'd argue not hiring them to start with. How many people would that involve? Very few IMO.

Fair enough.

Hobbit said:
I think people should be paid what their labor is worth. Legally, that's whatever the employer is willing to pay. I'm really not a big believer in minimum wage, as I've never lived in a state with its own minimum wage laws (federal only), and I've never seen anybody who works for that little. In a free market economy, the price of labor is the lowest price an employer can pay and still fill all of his positions. If labor is scarce, the price goes up. If labor is plentiful, the price goes down. It's like any other service, dependant on supply and demand.

labor is not by any stretch of the imagination 'scarce' in Nevada..wages were raised to accomodate the demand of all the people..not just a chosen few...worked out quite well...and now illegal alien workers are now in the spotlight...what is wrong with this...I love America First...not just 'corp 'profits....anymore silly comments?

insein said:
Why do we need the government telling us what to do. IF a business only pays $5.15 an hour and the one down the street pays $8, guess where a regular guy is going to work? Simple math. Now if the company charging $5.15 doesnt hire enough workers, then i imagine they will raise what they are offering to be competitive. Like we see here. ITs called free market. No restrictions and sanctions by the government. Companies pay what people are willing to work for.

I don't understand why we seem to be able to afford corporate welfare on a massive scale, but we don't think that if people are going to work they should receive a wage that allows them to be at least on the periphery of respectable. It won't be a free market until we get rid of corporate welfare.

Nuc said:
I don't understand why we seem to be able to afford corporate welfare on a massive scale, but we don't think that if people are going to work they should receive a wage that allows them to be at least on the periphery of respectable. It won't be a free market until we get rid of corporate welfare.

First thing, I dont agree with coporate welfare. I'd wager to say that most Americans that understand what coporate welfare is dont agree with corporate welfare. IF i had my way, companies that cant make it in the free market, go under. Airlines, power companies, etc. all businesses that are supposedly "essential" would be tossed to the wayside if they dont understand how to operate in a free market economy.

With that now understood, a minimum wage should not be a right to an individual. You have to strive to be better and make something of yourself. If you always know that the minimum is there for you to help you live "respectably" then why achieve anything greater in life?

insein said:
First thing, I dont agree with coporate welfare. I'd wager to say that most Americans that understand what coporate welfare is dont agree with corporate welfare. IF i had my way, companies that cant make it in the free market, go under. Airlines, power companies, etc. all businesses that are supposedly "essential" would be tossed to the wayside if they dont understand how to operate in a free market economy.

With that now understood, a minimum wage should not be a right to an individual. You have to strive to be better and make something of yourself. If you always know that the minimum is there for you to help you live "respectably" then why achieve anything greater in life?

I agree with almost everything here. I just think that the current minimum wage is almost by definition exploitative. Maybe it's OK for a teenybopper flipping burgers on his first job, but when an adult is being paid too little they're being exploited. I understand your argument about raising oneself up, but there are plenty of semi-retarded, confused, handicapped, uneducated people who must work minimum wage jobs because they can't do anything else. They'll never be able to rise to the next level of society, but they're willing to work, why not give them a little dignity?

Nuc said:
I agree with almost everything here. I just think that the current minimum wage is almost by definition exploitative. Maybe it's OK for a teenybopper flipping burgers on his first job, but when an adult is being paid too little they're being exploited. I understand your argument about raising oneself up, but there are plenty of semi-retarded, confused, handicapped, uneducated people who must work minimum wage jobs because they can't do anything else. They'll never be able to rise to the next level of society, but they're willing to work, why not give them a little dignity?

we can agree on this one...been poor and been well off...dignity for those in need is the key here....can't argue that point....kudos!
:2guns:

Shattered said:
For what?! You're flipping a god damned burger. How much do you think someone should be paid for something like that??

How much should someone be paid for catching a football? Whatever the market will bear. They don't get it all at one time but get it spaced out through the year. Good old fashion capitalism. Simple supply and demand.

Forum List

Back