$6,000.00 Signing Bonus - We Want You - For Burger King

GotZoom

Apr 20, 2005
Cordova, TN
A cutthroat, post-hurricane labor market has sent wages skyrocketing in the fast-food industry and prompted some of the New Orleans region's biggest chains to offer workers thousands of dollars in signing bonuses, perks typically associated with higher-paying white-collar jobs.

Burger King recruiters have been visiting federal disaster recovery centers and newly reopened high schools offering a $6,000 bonus, paid in monthly installments, to anyone promising to work full-time at a metropolitan New Orleans restaurant for at least a year. New part-time workers are being offered $3,000 bonuses.

Popeyes Chicken & Biscuits has increased hourly pay for cashiers and cooks from just over the federal minimum wage of $5.15 to more than $8, a jump of more than 50 percent.

"I've been in the (fast-food restaurant) business for 30 years, and I've never seen anything like this," said Glen Helton, president and chief operating officer of Strategic Restaurant Acquisition Corp., the California company that owns the 54 Burger King stores in metropolitan New Orleans.

Strategic Restaurant has reopened about half of its stores and is ready to open 13 more, but it can't until it hires about 500 more workers, Helton said.

http://www.restaurantnewsresource.com/article18908.html?NID=f3abbaa9c4bfa7b21dd9eb66ea3493c9

For flipping burgers?! Daaaaamn.

...and someone will STILL complain it's not enough money...

GotZoom said:
Popeyes Chicken & Biscuits has increased hourly pay for cashiers and cooks from just over the federal minimum wage of $5.15 to more than $8, a jump of more than 50 percent.

Which proves that these corporations could afford to have a higher minimum wage, despite their protestations and those of their Republican cronies.

Nuc said:
Which proves that these corporations could afford to have a higher minimum wage, despite their protestations and those of their Republican cronies.

For what?! You're flipping a god damned burger. How much do you think someone should be paid for something like that??

Shattered said:
For what?! You're flipping a god damned burger. How much do you think someone should be paid for something like that??

I think the minimum wage should provide people who work 40 hours a week the ability to live independently on a modest basis.

Nuc said:

And proves that they will pay them, without federal mandate, when that is what it takes to get the employees.

Nuc said:
I think the minimum wage should provide people who work 40 hours a week the ability to live independently on a modest basis.

Modest?? Minimum wage should allow kids to buy gas for their beat up cars to get them from point A to point B..

The pay you receive should be equivalent to the work you do. Standing in front of a grill flipping burgers requires minimal intelligence, no education whatsoever, and limited physical ability. IMO, that's right around $6 an hour.. If you're making almost twice that, what's left to strive for in life?

I think it's great that the 'Fast Food' industry has raised it's wages...will open the door to others than illegal aliens...and I would prefer to eat a burger 'flipped' by a happy and content employee rather than a bitter underpaid one...would not worry about the burger content! :eek:

Nuc said:

And there-in lies the controversy I think. Should a minimum age earner be able to afford his/her own home on that wage? What is "modest"? Does that include the big screen TV and two other TVs in other rooms? How many cel phones? etc. etc.

On top of that, how much are you willing to pay for that burger?

archangel said:
I think it's great that the 'Fast Food' industry has raised it's wages...will open the door to others than illegal aliens...and I would prefer to eat a burger 'flipped' by a happy and content employee rather than a bitter underpaid one...would not worry about the burger content! :eek:

Here in the Denver area there is not even one Fast Food restaurant that didn't already pay that much. I cannot see how this is news. The signing bonus is different, but they all pay more than 8 an hour here.

no1tovote4 said:
Here in the Denver area there is not even one Fast Food restaurant that didn't already pay that much. I cannot see how this is news. The signing bonus is different, but they all pay more than 8 an hour here.

Mickey D's starts at $10.00 per hr and In N' Out at $8.50 plus benefits...they still do a booming business and the service is much better!

minimum wage should be at least 8$ an hour. 320$ a week.

Just enough for an one bedroom apartment + used car + food

no bigscreens in that imo

nosarcasm said:

Nevada and Colorado do it and survive just fine! Don't see what all the fuss is about!

nosarcasm said:

Thanks nosarcasm, that sounds about right, now I don't have to answer the infidels myself. Depending on where you live, car is optional.

Nuc said:

Why do we need the government telling us what to do. IF a business only pays $5.15 an hour and the one down the street pays $8, guess where a regular guy is going to work? Simple math. Now if the company charging $5.15 doesnt hire enough workers, then i imagine they will raise what they are offering to be competitive. Like we see here. ITs called free market. No restrictions and sanctions by the government. Companies pay what people are willing to work for.

insein said:
Why do we need the government telling us what to do. IF a business only pays $5.15 an hour and the one down the street pays $8, guess where a regular guy is going to work? Simple math. Now if the company charging $5.15 doesnt hire enough workers, then i imagine they will raise what they are offering to be competitive. Like we see here. ITs called free market. No restrictions and sanctions by the government. Companies pay what people are willing to work for.

Bravo!! You actually beat me to it. This is exactly the way it should be. Government doesn't need to tell businesses how much their salaries should be - even the "minimum wage." They actually leave nearly everything else as far as treatment and pay to the business.

Example. Hardee's in Memphis closed all of their fast food restaurants because they wanted to pay their people minimum wage or barely above it. The people applying for the positions wanted more money. Hardee's said no..take it or leave it. They left it.

And Hardee's was forced to leave town.

Nothing wrong there.

insein said:

very true...but ya forgot the 'illegal alien' equasion....but what the hell do I know...just a hick cowboy! pay em the working wage so I can be assured of a 'safe' burger...thats what I say!

New Topics

Forum List

Back