59% of Americans Medically Ineligible to Join the Military!

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
schuman.jpg

This comes from a study by retired flag officers and can be read in full @ http://cdn.missionreadiness.org/NATEE1109.pdf

Now, with that out of the way, I find the author of this piece somewhat biased. He tried to get into OCS and was turned down due to medical reasons. He then tried the Navy and quit when he was turned down by the Army National Guard.

He claims a retired military physician gave him a letter saying he was fit to serve.

This is the conundrum of recruitment. One might be fit to perform selected duties, but that does not mean they are physically capable of performing the most basic reason for being in the military – conducting war with a pistol or rifle in hand.

According to AMSARA, the top conditions for active duty medical disqualification from 2010-2014 were weight/body build (17 percent), psychiatric (12 percent), refraction (11 percent), and skin/allergies (9 percent). These conditions largely hold across years and components. Many conditions included in these categories may inhibit an applicant’s ability to serve effectively. However, many do not. Although overweight applicants would most likely not be able to meet military physical standards, according to AMSARA one-third of “weight/body build” disqualifications include cases of underweight applicants who may not have such issues. Ongoing psychiatric conditions should be taken seriously, but even symptoms or outpatient treatment of depression within three years of applying for military service is disqualifying, according to the Department of Defense’s Medical Standards for Appointment, Enlistment, or Induction regulations. Vision that cannot be corrected to 20/40 as well as allergic reactions to fish, insects, and nuts can be disqualifying as well.

Much more of this piece @ Department of Disqualified: Fixing the Broken Military Medical Accessions Process w/lots and lots of links.

You know, during my last tour of duty, I worked at the MEPS as Head Classifier and LPO. And, there were quite a few things that I saw people get disqualified for, some of which I wondered why.

Asthma, flat feet, and various other medical problems are automatic disqualifications for service. Incidentally, did you know that if you have been a sleepwalker at any time before in your life, you are ineligible for service in the Navy? Learned that in recruiting.

Then, there are the other reasons people are disqualified that have zero to do with physical problems. Many of them have too many civil convictions, have had previous drug use that is disqualifying, or they are too fat and can't lose the weight.

When they were talking about the Army missing it's recruitment goals this year, they also threw out the figure that out of all the age eligible people who can join the military (18 to 35 yrs old), only about 30 to 35 percent are qualified.

Being in recruiting totally changed my attitude about serving in the military. I used to think that if you couldn't do anything else, or if no jobs were available, one could always join the military. But, that's not the case at all.

You know, during my last tour of duty, I worked at the MEPS as Head Classifier and LPO. And, there were quite a few things that I saw people get disqualified for, some of which I wondered why.

Asthma, flat feet, and various other medical problems are automatic disqualifications for service. Incidentally, did you know that if you have been a sleepwalker at any time before in your life, you are ineligible for service in the Navy? Learned that in recruiting.

Then, there are the other reasons people are disqualified that have zero to do with physical problems. Many of them have too many civil convictions, have had previous drug use that is disqualifying, or they are too fat and can't lose the weight.

When they were talking about the Army missing it's recruitment goals this year, they also threw out the figure that out of all the age eligible people who can join the military (18 to 35 yrs old), only about 30 to 35 percent are qualified.

Being in recruiting totally changed my attitude about serving in the military. I used to think that if you couldn't do anything else, or if no jobs were available, one could always join the military. But, that's not the case at all.
Yeah nothing like sleepwalking off the end of a ship and not be found out till the next morning....We had a guy in the Air Force who had sleep apnea, and since he didnt sleep well at night, he would during the day find any place to catch a nap, we found him in the intake of one F-15, and lucky for him the ground crew followed the checklist or he would of been spit out the back....

Yeah nothing like sleepwalking off the end of a ship and not be found out till the next morning....We had a guy in the Air Force who had sleep apnea, and since he didnt sleep well at night, he would during the day find any place to catch a nap, we found him in the intake of one F-15, and lucky for him the ground crew followed the checklist or he would of been spit out the back....

One of the scariest damn training films I saw when stationed with a squadron was one that showed a deck crewman getting sucked into the intake of an A-6. He was getting the plane ready for launch, but wasn't paying attention to where he was in relation to the plane, stood up, and was sucked into the engine.

Remember the end of Nightmare on Elm Street when the mother got sucked into the window of the door as the girl was leaving for school? Kinda looked a lot like that.

And, because he didn't have his cranial all the way strapped, it sucked that off and FODed out the engines. He also lost his shirt, float coat in addition to his cranial. And, although he didn't hit the turbines (he said he put his hand out and stopped himself with the nosecone of the turbine), he was still pretty messed up, and I heard he ended up with a medical discharge.

Yeah, jet intakes have a way of messing up a person FAST if they aren't paying attention.

One of the scariest damn training films I saw when stationed with a squadron was one that showed a deck crewman getting sucked into the intake of an A-6. He was getting the plane ready for launch, but wasn't paying attention to where he was in relation to the plane, stood up, and was sucked into the engine.

Remember the end of Nightmare on Elm Street when the mother got sucked into the window of the door as the girl was leaving for school? Kinda looked a lot like that.

And, because he didn't have his cranial all the way strapped, it sucked that off and FODed out the engines. He also lost his shirt, float coat in addition to his cranial. And, although he didn't hit the turbines (he said he put his hand out and stopped himself with the nosecone of the turbine), he was still pretty messed up, and I heard he ended up with a medical discharge.

Yeah, jet intakes have a way of messing up a person FAST if they aren't paying attention.
Another day in the life of a Aircraft Technician at Langley AFB, 1st to know, 1st to go, we were riding around in our dispatch truck and 1 of the F-15 was moving up and down on its landing gear. Now normally the jet doesn't move when chocked and on the flight line, so we got out of our vehicle and walked up to the jet. Inside the intake were 2 airmen, 1 male and 1 female, and I will let you figure out the rest of the story..

Another day in the life of a Aircraft Technician at Langley AFB, 1st to know, 1st to go, we were riding around in our dispatch truck and 1 of the F-15 was moving up and down on its landing gear. Now normally the jet doesn't move when chocked and on the flight line, so we got out of our vehicle and walked up to the jet. Inside the intake were 2 airmen, 1 male and 1 female, and I will let you figure out the rest of the story..

Yanno.....................I don't know exactly what it is about airmen that makes them so horny, but yeah, I've seen my fair share of that kind of behavior as well, most notably at NATTC Millington TN in the mid 80's, before they shipped the aviation schools to Pensacola. There were airmen getting caught having sex in all sorts of strange places, from the Enlisted Club closets, to the dugouts on the baseball fields.

One of my favorite things to do when I was stationed there, heading home late at night, bored out of my skull, was to drop by the baseball fields. I'd grab my flashlight, get about 20 ft. away from the dugout, light up the flashlight and holler "SHORE PATROL!" Was funny as hell to see all the naked butts swarming out of the dugouts while they were trying to pull up their pants.

So, 128 million Americans are eligible to serve in the military?

Is hatred of this country a disqualifier? You know, just in case your gender studies career doesn't pan out

schuman.jpg

This comes from a study by retired flag officers and can be read in full @ http://cdn.missionreadiness.org/NATEE1109.pdf

Now, with that out of the way, I find the author of this piece somewhat biased. He tried to get into OCS and was turned down due to medical reasons. He then tried the Navy and quit when he was turned down by the Army National Guard.

He claims a retired military physician gave him a letter saying he was fit to serve.

This is the conundrum of recruitment. One might be fit to perform selected duties, but that does not mean they are physically capable of performing the most basic reason for being in the military – conducting war with a pistol or rifle in hand.

According to AMSARA, the top conditions for active duty medical disqualification from 2010-2014 were weight/body build (17 percent), psychiatric (12 percent), refraction (11 percent), and skin/allergies (9 percent). These conditions largely hold across years and components. Many conditions included in these categories may inhibit an applicant’s ability to serve effectively. However, many do not. Although overweight applicants would most likely not be able to meet military physical standards, according to AMSARA one-third of “weight/body build” disqualifications include cases of underweight applicants who may not have such issues. Ongoing psychiatric conditions should be taken seriously, but even symptoms or outpatient treatment of depression within three years of applying for military service is disqualifying, according to the Department of Defense’s Medical Standards for Appointment, Enlistment, or Induction regulations. Vision that cannot be corrected to 20/40 as well as allergic reactions to fish, insects, and nuts can be disqualifying as well.

Much more of this piece @ Department of Disqualified: Fixing the Broken Military Medical Accessions Process w/lots and lots of links.
When i got to the induction center in 1968 they refused me because I asked questions.

schuman.jpg

When i got to the induction center in 1968 they refused me because I asked questions.

I call bullshit. The Viet Nam draft was from 1964 until 1973, which means that if you had walked into an induction center, they would have GLADLY welcomed you for enlistment, as there were many people who were there because their number had been called, and they didn't really want to be there.

schuman.jpg

I call bullshit. The Viet Nam draft was from 1964 until 1973, which means that if you had walked into an induction center, they would have GLADLY welcomed you for enlistment, as there were many people who were there because their number had been called, and they didn't really want to be there.
I remember guys wearing pink panties and I knew one guy who cut his thumb off. They gave me a 1-Y and said see ya. In hind sight I am kinda glad as one of my friends who did get to go told me about a door gunner in a helicopter who got shoved out because he did not want to fire on civilians.
Then there are the guys who came back addicted to heroin and stories of sailors dropping 50 gallon drums into the gooks boats as they begged for food.

Forum List

Back