58% Want English-Only Ballots

Sure, invoke the LOL's argument! C'mon, Susan! I know you! So, how many different languages do we need to print these things in?

I hope you don't mind but I'm going to stick with my LOL argument. :razz:

I honestly don't care how many languages they have to print. There are so many other things to be upset about and this is so minor, I'm sticking with my original argument.

Stick to it, I knew you would! Welcome from the IS bd. Good to see you!:eusa_angel:

Thanks OS. So far I've been having a good time.

Just to add a little something, in HI ballots are printed in Chinese and Vietnamese too, and maybe more Asian languages.

Street signs are only in English? So how come my grandmother used to live on Calle Del Ensayador? That look like English to YOU?

Sure does! Ever read Arabic? Of course it's english. Just like if STEVE SMITH was running, his name would appear that way on the ballot in any language. Try again.

So it's not another language unless its alphabet looks completely different from the one English uses? CHRIST, you're Anglo-centric. Get a grip.

And yeah, that's kinda my point, dipwad. "Steve Smith" is going to look the same no matter what, which means that since your state OBVIOUSLY only has names on the ballot - because that's what YOU said, right? - YOU don't need to worry about your state printing Spanish ballots. There's nothing there to translate INTO Spanish . . . right?

So, you've started with the name-calling, and you're out of intellectual argument. None of your post supports the argument to print in every language present in the voting jurisdiction. It's a ludicrous thing to support.

ts

Kiryas Joel, Westchester County, NY.

:bsflag: LOL, surrrre. So why aren't they in lee co FL?:cuckoo:

Oldsalt, you are aware that ballots always contain statements of the issues with regard to propositions and campaign/biographical statements on all of the candidates, right? It isn't just a matter of being able to read a name of a candidate in order to understand a ballot.

I know, I know . . . why don't they prep up for the voting so they don't have to read the ballots and can just come in and vote. Know what? Many times (I am ashamed to admit) I base my vote on what I read in the ballot statements as I am standing in the voting booth. Not always of course, but fairly often.

Of course I am. But why, and how do you produce ballots for every possible dialect in your voting district? As I stated. The same is not done with everything else. Why this?

Requirements to become a US Citizen are as follows, I believe

1. Are at least 18 years old and a lawful permanent resident ("green card" holder);
2. Have resided continuously in the United States, having been lawfully admitted for permanent residence, for five years immediately preceding the date you filed your application for naturalization, or
3. Have, after having been removed from conditional permanent resident status, based upon your marriage to a U.S. citizen, having resided in the United States for one year after the date the condition was removed;

4. Have resided continuously in the United States at all times after your application to the time and date of your admission for citizenship;
5. Have, during all periods of time referred to above, been and still are a person of good moral character;
6. Have no outstanding deportation or removal order and no pending deportation or removal proceeding;
7. Have the ability to read, write, speak, and understand simple words and phrases in English;
8. Have knowledge and understanding of the fundamentals of U.S. history and government;
9. Are attached to, and can support, the principles of the U.S. Constitution and can swear allegiance to the United States.

Condition 2 requires that you have lived in the US for 5 years, and condition 3 that you have lived here for 3 years (2 years conditional residence, plus 1 additional year). So, in order to become a US citizen, you must have lived here for a minimum of 3 years.

How can you not learn enough English to fill out a ballot sheet in 3 years?

Easy tigarbob, speaking English and reading English are two different skills. If I were to immigrate to Spain (I wish) I'm sure I'd pick up enough Spanish to get along very well, but if it came to writing it I'd be lost. And I think that as a person ages it becomes even more difficult.

And I'm sure you've seen pictures of recent immigrants getting sworn in, if you think back there is always a couple of cute little old ladies in the group. It is so those little old ladies can vote too. Among others of course. :eusa_angel:

Yet, you'd try to assimilate to their culture and language..

Illegals or even foreign nationals don't even do that here. They just come here and takeover neighborhoods and turn them into their own "country."

Hell, I just got done talking to one of my parents neighbors the other day and he said that his neighbor (who is an Asian immigrant) dropped her pants in the yard and squatted.... What the fuck is that???

Even by me the Mexicans (most of whom I presume are illegal) cant even speak English, hell, the guy right next door cant even speak a lick of English. I went over there when he moved in to introduce myself and he just nodded and got his daughter (or maybe granddaughter?? to translate)... Then the other day when I was chilling out front having a beer or a few a van pulls up and a dude gets out and my neighbor and the guy start hugging like they've been separated for years - I'm going to assume its his illegal alien family member who made it all the way....

I'm really sorry you're going through life so angry. It will prevent you from seeing any good in these immigrants and that's a real shame.

True - but only citizens can vote, and you must be able to "speak English" to become a U.S. citizen. However, the degree of literacy in English is minimal - probably not enough to ensure intelligent voting in the event someone because a citizen with merely the minimal ability required.

The "quote" that you're referencing actually wasn't my comment. And I appreciate that the standard may be minimal. It just surprises me that a grown adult who has lived here for 3 years would have been unable to pick up conversational English. Surprises and saddens.

They DO pick up conversational English. Conversational English isn't written English. You do realize that the ballots aren't on audiobook, right?

Yes, I realize that, but thanks for asking.

Conversational English was probably the wrong word. George understood what I was referring to, but you either didn't or chose to be literal, so allow me to restate.

It surprises me that after living in a country for 3 years and having the opportunity to learn sufficient of the language to converse with natives and have at least a reasonable understanding of what is written in newspapers, so many people choose not to make the effort.

Easy tigarbob, speaking English and reading English are two different skills. If I were to immigrate to Spain (I wish) I'm sure I'd pick up enough Spanish to get along very well, but if it came to writing it I'd be lost. And I think that as a person ages it becomes even more difficult.

And I'm sure you've seen pictures of recent immigrants getting sworn in, if you think back there is always a couple of cute little old ladies in the group. It is so those little old ladies can vote too. Among others of course. :eusa_angel:

It's an interesting distinction, but I don't buy it.

It takes a little effort, sure, but it's not like this is a mountain that people are being asked to overcome. And actually, I'd contend that reading it is easier than speaking it, because one has time to stop, think, consider what is being said. One can re-read, and one doesn't have to deal with the vagaries of accents.

You can contend it, but you'd be wrong.

Well argued.

The "quote" that you're referencing actually wasn't my comment. And I appreciate that the standard may be minimal. It just surprises me that a grown adult who has lived here for 3 years would have been unable to pick up conversational English. Surprises and saddens.

They DO pick up conversational English. Conversational English isn't written English. You do realize that the ballots aren't on audiobook, right?

Conversational English was probably the wrong word. George understood what I was referring to, but you either didn't or chose to be literal, so allow me to restate.

It surprises me that after living in a country for 3 years and having the opportunity to learn sufficient of the language to converse with natives and have at least a reasonable understanding of what is written in newspapers, so many people choose not to make the effort.

Actually, I think they make effort just fine. This is more a dem/repub titfortat issue, more than anything else. An extension of the ACORN argument.

I do believe,
That Mr. Nick,
Is, well, a . . . . .

Well, not many can rationalize with their feelings...

I've seen "progressives" go off on mind bending emotional tangents and most of the time their anger is directed at "the racist republican party of old white men that hate poor people."

When liberals blow their gasket they make their agenda known....

So I'm not crazy, liberals just rationalize their hatred as logical or justified. I just see it for what it is...

The typical liberal deep down inside is a masochist, phrases like "white guilt" exist for a reason...

Progressives are the most psychologically fucked up people on the planet...

Sadly, there is some truth in what you say. I am a liberal. I would like to think I am not "fucked up", but I will concede that there are some in my camp who are. In the final analysis, I think the difference between conservatives and liberals is the difference between extreme practicality (conservative) and extreme idealism (liberals).

I will admit, that us libs don't seem to do public relations very well. We have people with some good ideas, but they quite often don't present well, if you know what I mean. You can have the best idea in the world, but if you have some wild-eyed, long-haird weirdo espousing it, you aren't going to get very far.

We need to learn how to campaign for public office and to get some decent looking spokespeople.

And you are so right, that it is very difficult for people to rationalize with their feelings.

I'm liberal, classical liberal.....

My beef is with the progressives. I got nothing against any individual who consults the constitution before they hand authority over to government..

Problem is that quite a few progressives really don't care about the constitution and when guys like me get bent when progressives go supporting unconstitutional and even tyrannical ideas and legislation they go off into a crazy ass "you're a racist" fit...

Maybe you should remove yourself from the "liberal" party and join us on the "don't tread on me" side..

Pretty easily. New immigrants tend to live in areas full of other immigrants from the same culture. They associate with their own families and other people from that culture. They interact with English speakers when they have to, but it hardly requires you to be a fluent enough English READER to understand the sometimes confusing initiative descriptions.

I appreciate that, but while it may be a reason it's hardly an excuse.

Who said it was? You asked a question, and I answered. If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked. If you wanted the answer only so you could be confrontational with the answerer, ditto.

If you took it as being confrontational, I assure you it wasn't meant to be that way. Your answer appeared to have the sense of excusing them for not knowing English because they socialize mainly within their own culture, therefore I said I didn't think it was an excuse.

Actually, I think they make effort just fine. This is more a dem/repub titfortat issue, more than anything else. An extension of the ACORN argument.

Really? Well, clearly you have more experience in this matter than I do but if they truly make the effort then how, after 3 years of exposure to English language TV and printed media, are some of them unable to vote if ballot sheets aren't printed in their native language?

Yet, you'd try to assimilate to their culture and language..

Illegals or even foreign nationals don't even do that here. They just come here and takeover neighborhoods and turn them into their own "country."

Hell, I just got done talking to one of my parents neighbors the other day and he said that his neighbor (who is an Asian immigrant) dropped her pants in the yard and squatted.... What the fuck is that???

Even by me the Mexicans (most of whom I presume are illegal) cant even speak English, hell, the guy right next door cant even speak a lick of English. I went over there when he moved in to introduce myself and he just nodded and got his daughter (or maybe granddaughter?? to translate)... Then the other day when I was chilling out front having a beer or a few a van pulls up and a dude gets out and my neighbor and the guy start hugging like they've been separated for years - I'm going to assume its his illegal alien family member who made it all the way....

I'm really sorry you're going through life so angry. It will prevent you from seeing any good in these immigrants and that's a real shame.

There is no good.... They come here to steal jobs and send the earnings back to Mexico.

For every job these illegals have, some American somewhere is out of work.

Besides, I grew up around this illegal bullshit... These motherfuckers live in garages paying 50 bucks a week for a fucking bed..... Then you got Americans with no work struggling to pay their mortgage, put food on the table and keep the electricity on..

You don't know shit...

No, I have zero compassion for them.... If Mexico is so fucked up then why the fuck don't they fix their country themselves???

I have compassion for refugees tho.... I understand fucked up authoritarian government, and I have no problem with individuals who actually want to BE AMERICANS AND EMBRACE FREEDOM AND ASSIMILATE...

These clowns from Mexico tho are just using the system for their own benefit and democrats LIKE ALWAYS are there to get their votes regardless of their citizenship status...

These motherfuckers fly Mexican flags around where I stay..... This isn't fucking Mexico dummy....

I'm Italian and I'd NEVER EVER fly an Italian flag because the United States is my home, not Italy...

These illegals are ungrateful little punks who are exploiting democrats and democrats are happy to oblige them...

Really? Well, clearly you have more experience in this matter than I do but if they truly make the effort then how, after 3 years of exposure to English language TV and printed media, are some of them unable to vote if ballot sheets aren't printed in their native language?

Because you say they are?:cool:

Because you say they are?:cool:

I don't understand that. I was asking a question, not making a statement. I'm assuming that some can't understand a ballot sheet in English because there is a requirement to print them in other languages.

Maybe you were making joke I just don't get.

Hispanics aren't the most intelligent group, maybe it would be easier if we all just learned Spanish

Forum List

Back