58% Want English-Only Ballots

Hispanics aren't the most intelligent group, maybe it would be easier if we all just learned Spanish

Actually, there is a very definite movement around where I live, to put Hispanics into public office. There are a number of very intelligent Hispanics here - and many of them are highly politically motivated.

And the mayor of Los Angeles is . . . . .

$90 billion in welfare for people are who are not American citizens. Just write that off as a Democrat campaign contribution paid for by the American people. Union workers are used to it.

Hispanics aren't the most intelligent group, maybe it would be easier if we all just learned Spanish

Actually, there is a very definite movement around where I live, to put Hispanics into public office. There are a number of very intelligent Hispanics here - and many of them are highly politically motivated.

And the mayor of Los Angeles is . . . . .
Replace the word Hispanic with the word whites in you're post.

$90 billion in welfare for people are who are not American citizens. Just write that off as a Democrat campaign contribution paid for by the American people. Union workers are used to it.

Hmm, the red wire goes on the illegal connection to cheap labor for non-union slugs, and yes unions are used to having the cons turn their trucking industry over to their peons. I guess that is why the illegals vote for Dems?? LMAO!!

Last edited:
If you want to be an American learn English ...... or fuck off.

Unless......you have special skills America needs, and you are specifically invited for your skills.

Sure does! Ever read Arabic? Of course it's english. Just like if STEVE SMITH was running, his name would appear that way on the ballot in any language. Try again.

So it's not another language unless its alphabet looks completely different from the one English uses? CHRIST, you're Anglo-centric. Get a grip.

And yeah, that's kinda my point, dipwad. "Steve Smith" is going to look the same no matter what, which means that since your state OBVIOUSLY only has names on the ballot - because that's what YOU said, right? - YOU don't need to worry about your state printing Spanish ballots. There's nothing there to translate INTO Spanish . . . right?

So, you've started with the name-calling, and you're out of intellectual argument. None of your post supports the argument to print in every language present in the voting jurisdiction. It's a ludicrous thing to support.

There's a big difference between calling you a dipwad while making an argument, and calling you a dipwad AS an argument, dumbass. Battening onto the contempt you've earned as a way to avoid answering the point is just proof that YOU are out of intellectual argument.

And I haven't supported anything, dumbass, other than the idea that YOU should learn to make a real argument. The OP asked why ballots are printed in other languages, and I told him. If you could read, you would have noticed that I stated at that time that I didn't necessarily agree with it. But no, you couldn't be bothered to read and comprehend, could you? Kinda funny for someone who criticizes OTHER people's lack of reading comprehension, huh?

And by the way, I don't blame you for trying to escape this conversation. If I had been stupid enough to say that ballots only have names, while objecting to ballots being translated into other languages, I'd be running for the hills, too. :lol:

The "quote" that you're referencing actually wasn't my comment. And I appreciate that the standard may be minimal. It just surprises me that a grown adult who has lived here for 3 years would have been unable to pick up conversational English. Surprises and saddens.

They DO pick up conversational English. Conversational English isn't written English. You do realize that the ballots aren't on audiobook, right?

Yes, I realize that, but thanks for asking.

Conversational English was probably the wrong word. George understood what I was referring to, but you either didn't or chose to be literal, so allow me to restate.

It surprises me that after living in a country for 3 years and having the opportunity to learn sufficient of the language to converse with natives and have at least a reasonable understanding of what is written in newspapers, so many people choose not to make the effort.

I don't read minds, especially when the print is small. :eusa_whistle: You said something, and I answered what you said. If what you said wasn't want you meant, that's YOUR communication problem, not mine.

Most people don't read newspapers these days. Even native English speakers don't any more. Haven't you heard how newspaper sales have been plummeting? People get their news from TV or the Internet. And, of course, just because YOUR computer shows things in English doesn't mean everyone's does.

It's more than possible to learn English well enough to do your job and talk to people without ever becoming truly comfortable with the written version, especially in this day and age.

It's an interesting distinction, but I don't buy it.

It takes a little effort, sure, but it's not like this is a mountain that people are being asked to overcome. And actually, I'd contend that reading it is easier than speaking it, because one has time to stop, think, consider what is being said. One can re-read, and one doesn't have to deal with the vagaries of accents.

You can contend it, but you'd be wrong.

Well argued.

There's not a lot TO argue. It's easier to learn to speak a language than to read and write it. It's just a fact. What kind of argument do you want? I already pointed out ages ago that children learn to speak their native language LONG before they learn to read it or write it, and much faster.

I appreciate that, but while it may be a reason it's hardly an excuse.

Who said it was? You asked a question, and I answered. If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked. If you wanted the answer only so you could be confrontational with the answerer, ditto.

If you took it as being confrontational, I assure you it wasn't meant to be that way. Your answer appeared to have the sense of excusing them for not knowing English because they socialize mainly within their own culture, therefore I said I didn't think it was an excuse.

My answer appeared to be a simple statement, because that's what it was. Your projection of "excuse" onto it was confrontational. You wanted to see me as supporting something you wanted to argue against. Look carefully, and you'll see that I never said a word about what I thought about the tendency of immigrants to stick to their own insular communities. I merely pointed out that they do.

In order to vote you have to be a citizen. To become a citizen you have to know some English. Why do they print ballots in other languages?

58% Want English-Only Ballots - Rasmussen Reports™

Rasmussen polls are a bit more than suspect, but on this, I agree. No need for other languages.

When I was younger, I had a friend. We hadn't talked for a while. I went to College after high school, she got into the military and we lost touch. I don't usually go to the class reunions we have had but I decided to show up for the 10 year reunion. She was there in her uniform. Of course we started talking about Iraq and Afghanistan. I don't remember where she was but she was over there.

Anyway; some of the guys she had worked with died as a result of IED's. Improvised explosive devices. The thing was this; some of her friends in the service that died were not yet citizens of the country. Their job was to try to disarm these IED's.

I guess we shouldn't make those manuals that teach them how to do that bi-lingual either?
Sometimes, not always, you guys just flat out suck. You know that?

Who said it was? You asked a question, and I answered. If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked. If you wanted the answer only so you could be confrontational with the answerer, ditto.

If you took it as being confrontational, I assure you it wasn't meant to be that way. Your answer appeared to have the sense of excusing them for not knowing English because they socialize mainly within their own culture, therefore I said I didn't think it was an excuse.

My answer appeared to be a simple statement, because that's what it was. Your projection of "excuse" onto it was confrontational. You wanted to see me as supporting something you wanted to argue against. Look carefully, and you'll see that I never said a word about what I thought about the tendency of immigrants to stick to their own insular communities. I merely pointed out that they do.

I didn't "want" to see you as anything Cecilie, but you've made it pretty clear what you are.

Requirements to become a US Citizen are as follows, I believe

1. Are at least 18 years old and a lawful permanent resident ("green card" holder);
2. Have resided continuously in the United States, having been lawfully admitted for permanent residence, for five years immediately preceding the date you filed your application for naturalization, or
3. Have, after having been removed from conditional permanent resident status, based upon your marriage to a U.S. citizen, having resided in the United States for one year after the date the condition was removed;

4. Have resided continuously in the United States at all times after your application to the time and date of your admission for citizenship;
5. Have, during all periods of time referred to above, been and still are a person of good moral character;
6. Have no outstanding deportation or removal order and no pending deportation or removal proceeding;
7. Have the ability to read, write, speak, and understand simple words and phrases in English;
8. Have knowledge and understanding of the fundamentals of U.S. history and government;
9. Are attached to, and can support, the principles of the U.S. Constitution and can swear allegiance to the United States.

Condition 2 requires that you have lived in the US for 5 years, and condition 3 that you have lived here for 3 years (2 years conditional residence, plus 1 additional year). So, in order to become a US citizen, you must have lived here for a minimum of 3 years.

How can you not learn enough English to fill out a ballot sheet in 3 years?

Is there a requirement to speak English? I can't see it.

I, do however, think if you are going to live in this country..you should learn the language. But Costanza makes a valid point about complex issues on ballots.

1. Are at least 18 years old and a lawful permanent resident ("green card" holder);
2. Have resided continuously in the United States, having been lawfully admitted for permanent residence, for five years immediately preceding the date you filed your application for naturalization, or
3. Have, after having been removed from conditional permanent resident status, based upon your marriage to a U.S. citizen, having resided in the United States for one year after the date the condition was removed;

4. Have resided continuously in the United States at all times after your application to the time and date of your admission for citizenship;
5. Have, during all periods of time referred to above, been and still are a person of good moral character;
6. Have no outstanding deportation or removal order and no pending deportation or removal proceeding;
7. Have the ability to read, write, speak, and understand simple words and phrases in English;
8. Have knowledge and understanding of the fundamentals of U.S. history and government;
9. Are attached to, and can support, the principles of the U.S. Constitution and can swear allegiance to the United States.

Condition 2 requires that you have lived in the US for 5 years, and condition 3 that you have lived here for 3 years (2 years conditional residence, plus 1 additional year). So, in order to become a US citizen, you must have lived here for a minimum of 3 years.

Easy tigarbob, speaking English and reading English are two different skills. If I were to immigrate to Spain (I wish) I'm sure I'd pick up enough Spanish to get along very well, but if it came to writing it I'd be lost. And I think that as a person ages it becomes even more difficult.

And I'm sure you've seen pictures of recent immigrants getting sworn in, if you think back there is always a couple of cute little old ladies in the group. It is so those little old ladies can vote too. Among others of course. :eusa_angel:

Bullshit! If those old ladies were at all interested in what they were voting on, they could easily get a translation. Hell, the lousy spanish stations on A.M. radio come in cleaner and louder than any others. The only reason for the multiple translations is to insure a lazy, ignorant group of voters who will always vote for a politician willing to give them some one else's money(democrat)....... they understand that really well. Democrats even want to give the right to vote back to criminals in jail...... that's how desperate they are for easy votes.

Easy tigarbob, speaking English and reading English are two different skills. If I were to immigrate to Spain (I wish) I'm sure I'd pick up enough Spanish to get along very well, but if it came to writing it I'd be lost. And I think that as a person ages it becomes even more difficult.

And I'm sure you've seen pictures of recent immigrants getting sworn in, if you think back there is always a couple of cute little old ladies in the group. It is so those little old ladies can vote too. Among others of course. :eusa_angel:

Bullshit! If those old ladies were at all interested in what they were voting on, they could easily get a translation. Hell, the lousy spanish stations on A.M. radio come in cleaner and louder than any others. The only reason for the multiple translations is to insure a lazy, ignorant group of voters who will always vote for a politician willing to give them some one else's money(democrat)....... they understand that really well. Democrats even want to give the right to vote back to criminals in jail...... that's how desperate they are for easy votes.

I haven't heard that one..but maybe conservatives should stop counting them when drawing district lines. They can't vote..and they are not living in their home districts.

Forum List

Back